Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goff Salary Cap Impact Post Only

December 28, 2020 08:58AM
I have the same frustrations with Goff performance as most on here. I've been a Goff apologist hanging on to the potential, the good plays throughout his career, but he has surely regressed. Is it the Oline ?, Is it the game plan?, Is it the lack of consistent running game since Gurley's regression? or is it just the person within the player and the competitor that he is ? Every player has bad games, but great players pull up teammates around them and are typically not the reason for a loss, but it appears to me after watching Rams football & the NFL for 48 years now, that Goff has let his teammates down where losses can be attributed to him this year more than ever, with regards to consistency.

We all know that he his salary is a albatross that would be hard to over come, and we surely can't just waive him before or after the June 1st of 2021 because the cap hit is exuberant. The ideal situation is to find a team that would be interested in a trade and willingly to take on the contract to give their fan base a starter with a history of success. Sometimes a change of scenery is best for all parties. After saying that, I completely realize that it is unlikely that many teams will be lining up for a trade for a struggling QB with a big salary, but it has happened before. Who can explain Bill O'Brien trading Hopkins for David Johnson?

Sp. I looked up cap hits on Overthecap and according to their site, here is what it would look like being waived before June 1st, after June 1st & then traded before June 1st & after June 1st. The best scenario is a trade after June 1st, but can't imagine many teams want to bring in their QB after all but one of their minicamps, but if that can be done, that's the cleanest way to move past Jared, unless they can't find a better replacement by then (which is also likely).

WAIVED BEFORE JUNE 1ST 2021

WAIVED AFTER JUNE 1ST 2021

TRADED BEFORE JUNE 1ST 2021

TRADED AFTER JUNE 1ST 2021

So as you can see, there is a way to get out from under his contract in a trade after June 1st 2021, splitting up the cap hit in 2 separate years, BUT pulling it off with another team and finding a QB that you think would do better is a tall task and very unlikely to happen.

Sure wish we could have kept Ryan Fitzpatrick as our career backup every since we made him a 7th round draft pick in 2005.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff Salary Cap Impact Post Only Attachments

B64 Rams 72330December 28, 2020 08:58AM

Re: Goff Salary Cap Impact Post Only

Ekern55166December 28, 2020 09:05AM

B64 Rams 72143December 28, 2020 09:15AM

Ekern55148December 28, 2020 09:35AM

I don't think it works that way...LOL....

roman18150December 28, 2020 09:31AM