Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

good take as always dp

November 05, 2020 01:04AM
Deadpool
I've said this in the past and I'll say it again. This is a transition year. Yes, they will be competitive, but they are not ready for the SB yet.

So why did I say time?

New rookie DC. Staley is gonna takes his lumps as he learns on the job. He'll get better as he gets games under his belt.

RBs: the Rams came into the season with a 2nd year back that didn't get alot of run, and a rookie as 2 of their top 3 RBs. Gurley, regardless of his health was going to be missed. They will need time and carries.

Edge: gone is Fowler, the most consistent pass rusher off the edge for the Rams. He is being replaced with Floyd, who has underperformed his lofty draft position and is on a short term deal until they can get a longterm edge to replace him in a year or so. Those options include Obo (not a ton of reps) Terrell Lewis (my favorite longterm answer, but a rookie) Polite (again, lacking reps and has bounced around teams already)

ILB - Again they are replacing a stud in Littleton with Kiser and Kenny Young, who just don't have a ton of in game experience. I also have serious doubts they are a longterm answer.

So what do they need in terms of positions:

lets start with offense
QB - Goff isn't going anywhere. If you want to draft one for the future. Ehlinger from Texas if he comes out after round 1 is my guy. Not polished, but athletic and he's got some ice water in his veins.

RB - They are set here even if Brown goes elsewhere. As I said, they just need time.

WR - They are set with Woods, Kupp and Jefferson in 3 wide sets. I would go hard after a kid like Anthony Schwartz from Auburn later in day 2. He has literal world class speed. 2nd in the Under 20 Worlds. 1st on the 4x100 relay in worlds.Also US junior champ at 100 meters. So yeah, he can take the top off. Big time.If he's even, he's leavin. Or maybe a guy like Marquez Stevenson from Houston on day 3. Cougars use him all over the field and is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

OL - I like everyone but Corbett (and the Rams seem to like him) and Blythe. I could see a new center and they are almost assuredly going to have to find a LT, whether or not he is on the roster (Evans or Noteboom) is TBD

TE - I think the future is Higbee and Hopkins. Everett is too up and down for me. But the position is not high priority.

Defense:

Edge - I think you need a bendy, speed edge rusher. Not sure how or where you find one. I really think Lewis year 2 is the answer. Love his potential.

DL - I think this spot is ok for a year or 2 more

ILB - Kiser and Young (or Howard) are not great. I'd love to add a LBer like Cam McGrone from Michigan on day 2 of the draft.

S - Regardless of JJ3 - the Rams look good a S

CB - look set to me.

So really, ILB, Edge, OC, OT and WR could use a bit of help. The rest of the roster just needs experience or to get healthy/stay healthy.

I will say that the RBs are reaching a point where they need to take snaps over Brown. Rams gotta get them ready irt the protections IMO because each game on this November sched is critical. Rams have a lot of issues but many teams have more so while I'm glad they didn't do a midseason trade thinking they could take a shot I think they do have a shot assuming some things come together.

LT feels like we're just gonna ride Whit until he is done. It's like a time bomb but there are other needs too so I hope he can do one more year.

Edge is an enormous need. Lewis still has a lot to prove and even if he does come around he's a strong side guy. I do like the size Staley prioritizes on the edge though, he and Floyd look great out there together. Floyd has played very well, he's probably one of the most underrated guys thus far this season, his contain is consistent and he gets pressures. I know we can't keep him but it would be nice.

Kiser is average at best but he's still upgraded us over Littleton. Game to game he is more consistent in his run fills and doesn't give up too much running guys down. Littleton's specialty is coverage but the other areas are so bad that it doesn't make up for them, and this defense focuses on drops and reactions off the drop and Kiser has been ok. What we need is more talent off ball, someone who can pair with him and upgrade us there and that can be had into rounds 3 and 4 with good scouting. Watched a couple Raiders games this season and boy are they sorry they signed Littleton, Wade did a great job of masking his weaknesses.

WR they need to quit messing around with Reynolds. He's all tall and rangy but none of that translates, he is a poor possession receiver. Jefferson isn't explosive but he's got sneaky speed and will upgrade us over Reynolds once he's ready. Basically with Van we'll have 3 possession receivers who can get you deep if you're napping and that will be fine. That said McVay loves his offensive toys so I would think WR is in play every draft.

Honestly even though there's a lot of season to go and I know the defense will probably struggle in some of these games... Staley is so good he's going to be getting HC interviews during the playoffs. The way he masked the loss of Fuller, I mean he is something man. His anticipation in scheme is fantastic. He knew that teams would want to attack that right side when Rapp was in there and simplified things for him by moving Hill out and playing Ramsey and sometimes Williams on an island. The guy is for real. Most DCs you'd see those changes over several games and in the mean time that weakness would be exposed but this guy is a step ahead and teams and owners know it.

Oh and not sure how I forgot kicker. Good chance that will be a draft need too, though I do hope they settle things down here this month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2020 01:17AM by merlin.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What's it going to take?

Ramsfan69611November 03, 2020 08:41AM

A stud RB

3030225November 03, 2020 09:26AM

I'm not as confident..

sstrams201November 03, 2020 10:02AM

The answer...

rampage666188November 03, 2020 07:36PM

Re: The answer...

3030146November 04, 2020 04:27AM

Re: What's it going to take?

Rams43211November 03, 2020 12:27PM

consistency

ferragamo79167November 03, 2020 01:25PM

Time and to fill a few holes (long, sorry. I can't help myself)

Deadpool192November 03, 2020 04:00PM

Re: the 2021 draft

AlbaNY_Ram167November 04, 2020 06:35AM

Re: the 2021 draft

Deadpool128November 06, 2020 08:54AM

good take as always dp

merlin421November 05, 2020 01:04AM

Going with who we've got...

JamesJM157November 03, 2020 04:23PM

make playoffs, win some games, make super bowl and win a game

Rampage2K-159November 03, 2020 07:41PM

Re: make playoffs, win some games, make super bowl and win a game