Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beatin the horse that ain't dead: O Line

August 24, 2020 11:40PM
[ramsondemand.com]

Liked what "Merlin" wrote here...and 100% agree. Additionally, if Noteboom does well at LG, we will have a great pass blocking line.
While strength is important, I do believe tenacity and spirit matter more at guard....so, the jury is still out on Joe Boom. We have 3 c college left tackles on our O line....Corbett and Note are both positional blockers in the run game, which usually works in a zone
scheme..yep, we will forever miss the strongest, and mobile guard in the NFL: Saffold.

Here is what Merlin wrote: {my edits are listed with brackets [ ] }
Whit: pass pro is his strength. He struggled much more in the run i.e. with the physicality side in 2019 which makes some sense given his cardio approach to sustain that longevity. He may bounce back of course, but just looking at last season he dipped considerably in the run game.

Boom: pass pro is his strength. He may have had a miraculous offseason in which he pulled an SJD and got a lot stronger and I hope that's the case. But looking just at last season the physicality was his weakness and an extension of that were his struggles in the run game. [edit: in his contract year, Boom will have a career year, but what does that really mean if he goes the way of Alex Barron]

Blythe: line calls are his strength. He isn't really good at run or pass blocking. [edit: I believe the same, but many 'good' centers have this profile throughout league history.]

Corbett: pass pro is his strength. This guy has struggled with his run game since he came into the league and it's why he came available to us. Like with Boom who knows maybe he'll turn a corner in that run game but gonna need to see that.

Hav: run blocking is his strength. He's always been a plus run game dude who just survives in pass sets with his size.
[edit: hav played injured, and I said he would lose weight to make his 'comeback', and D Farr said he did smiling smiley ]

Looking at this group overall it appears we will probably struggle running the ball. [edit: and be near superior in pass pro]

[PS edit: Boom will get some starts at OLT this year...count on that...and he will be good, or good enough.]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Beatin the horse that ain't dead: O Line

Steve381August 24, 2020 11:40PM

Re: Beatin the horse that ain't dead: O Line

AlbaNY_Ram134August 25, 2020 04:54AM

much TBD on the OL

LMU93131August 25, 2020 05:25AM

To be fair to Blythe...

Rams43152August 25, 2020 06:19AM