Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: This is pretty good stuff

March 08, 2019 08:59PM
Deadpool
dzrams
I post a mock offseason every year. I’ve been delaying this year due to lack of time but it’s no fun if I’m not doing it before they work their plan and since they’ve started I have to do it now.

This mock is a combo of what I would like to see, what I think the Rams could be interested in, and what I think will happen (like market forces, etc).

Cuts:

Mark Barron - Already done. This was obvious. This saves $6.33M on the cap. I'm shocked it didn't happen last year TBH.

Sullivan - Already done. A vet with all the knowledge but his play was terrible and it can’t be justified at $6.25M. This saves $5.25M on the cap. Good guy, too bad he is getting old and that back will never be great again.

Trades:

Brockers - High salary and I question his fit. He played very well in the 4-3 but he had subpar performance at DE in the 3-4 this year, and they moved him off the NT in 2017. Like Quinn and Ogletree last year, we trade him for a 4th while simultaneously shedding his salary to be used at a more critical position. This shaves $10.25M off the cap. He just really hasn't done enough to warrant a 10m contract.

Higbee - Traded for a 6th round pick. This is what they countered with during the season when someone offered a 7th. It shows that they’re fine with parting with him. Also, I believe with Everette’s big improvement from 2017 to 2018, his and Higbee’s role will be inverted even if Higs was still on the team. This saves approx. $2M. I'd actually keep him, because its cheap experience for 2m. But otherwise he doesn't move the needle much. It's one of those toss up decisions for me. It could go either way and I wouldn't care

Re-sign:

Cory Littleton - RFA 2nd round tender for $3M Agreed
CJ Anderson - I think we can resign him somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.5 - $4M. He’s Gurley insurance. Agreed
Sam Shields (one year) If the price is right
Kevin Peterson - ERFA Yep
Morgan Fox - ERFA yep
JoJo Natson - ERFA meh
Dominique Hatfield - ERFA yeah
KhaDarel Hodge - ERFA yeah
Garrett Sickels - ERFA ok

I’m starting to get a strong feeling on both Saffold and Flowers that the market will price us out of retaining them. Losing Saffold will be a tough blow but fortunately we already have Noteboom to slide in his place. I think most of us already expect Suh and Joyner to walk. They may be in a position next year where they have 3 3rd round comp picks. This is what makes the Patriots so good, they never overpay for their FAs, they let them go and just plug and play someone else. Suh is gone, unless the money saved from a Brockers trade would go to him in your scenario. Saffold is gone, Joyner could run into a deep FA safety class. But even then, I doudt he comes back. Fowler is gone, and I'm not that sure that bothers me or not. I will miss Saffold the most.

One of the biggest decisions is what to do with our 4 RFAs - Littleton, M. Brown, Troy Hill, and Countess. I’m not a fan of Hill and Countess even at the lowest tender price of $2M. I think we can find less costly depth than that. Littleton could be considered for an extension but for right now I think we retain him with a 2nd round tender. I’m opting to let Brown go because I’d rather resign CJ. With the recent news of Gurley’s knee health, I think we need a near starting caliber RB behind him. I'm fine either way I think. There are some RBs i nthe draft that could slide and be a nice fit as well.

I’d bring back all of the ERFAs because they are good depth and/or special teams producers, and still very inexpensive for at least one more year. makes sense.

Free Agents:

Justin Houston, OLB - 3 years, $15M per year - Houston is 30 but still producing at a very high level. PFF rated him as the 12th highest edge defender this year, 5th best in the pass rush grade overall, and 13th highest in their pass rush productivity metric which measures pressure created on a per snap basis. As for stats, we'd be getting a guy who puts up 9 sacks every year, 5 FF this year, and an INT in 12 games. Like Talib he’ll provide leadership, short term near elite production while we develop younger players. A bonus for this signing is he won’t count in the comp pick formula. This is one area we just don't see the same way. I like Houston, but I'd prefer keeping Saffold and going after Barrett with that 15m. Or even a Mosely + Barrett combo. If we could get either of those combos for $15M I'd be inclined to agree with you. But if Saffold is rumored at $11M, Barret at $8M, you're looking at closer to $20M. Same with Mosley and Barrett. Won't Mosley costs around $10M by himself? And I guess part of it is, while I like Barret I'm not that excited about paying $8-9M for a decent edge rusher. That's my problem with Fowler. OTOH, I salivate with the idea of plugging a consistent 10 sacks guy next to AD. IMO, getting something above average at rush OLB would be a step towards creating a special D.

Johnathan Hankins, NT - 2 years, $3M per year - Hankins has had a down year in Oakland but prior to that he was very productive as a run stopper in a 3-4. This would be a sneaky good move IMO. Chucky turned oakland into a dumpster fire and he should rebound.

Jordan Hicks, ILB - 3 years, $6M per year - Hicks is another high character football player that McVay loves. The Eagles are in salary cap hell and will have to part with a leader of their D. He’s consistently been one of the higher rated inside linebackers in the game over the last several years but he’s had some injury issues which keep his price down. Maybe they go with Kiser but I would like to see a little bit more experience on the D side. I think he'll get more then Mosely in FA and I like Mosely, but would not complain about Hicks at all. Well if he's gonna get what Mosley commands, then nevermind. I was looking at his past injury history and figured that might make him a bit more affordable.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB - 1 year, $3M - I don’t like the QB crop in the draft very much so I think a vet like Fitzpatrick provides the best balance between affordability and still competing if Goff went down. I wouldn’t trust a rookie to keep us competitive if called upon next season. I really dislike the QB draft crop and for 3m yes on Fitzpatrick.

Draft:

Trade down: #31 for #38, and #98

38 - Jeffrey Simmons, IDL - He tore his ACL but did it so early in the process that he could still play as a rookie. He was generally ranked as a top 10 player in the draft. He plays every alignment and shade along the interior DL at a high level. He’d replace Suh who is the player he’s compared to. Alternate pick: Chase Winovich - The knock on him was lack of athleticism. The combine put an end to that. I'd be pretty happy either way. Love his upside, but if he gets a redshirt like Obo, its Hankins, Donald and who on the DL? He would be a sneaky draft and stash for next year and would make a heck of a combo with AD. I like it. It's Donald, Hankins, and JFM. You'd have 2 strong run defenders in AD and Hankins and 2 strong pass rushers in AD and JFM. As I posted above, JFM was a superior pass rusher than Brockers in his rookie season. He was not nearly as good in run defense though. But if you pair him up with a strong run D NT, you have a pretty balanced DL that's good against the run and pass.

94 - Erik McCoy, C/OG - He’s either the starting center or good depth. If he's there at 94, I'm sprinting to the stage with his name on a card. Me too! But I realize there's a good chance he's gone before that. You have any names of good 3rd/4th round interior OL that should be there in the late 3rd? It seems so many are projected to go between the 2nd and mid 3rd.

98 - Darnell Savage, S - Instinctual, very good cover DB. His pro player comp is guess who? A taller, faster Lamarcus Joyner. If not him, I also like Amani Hooker here. Savage plays the run and the pass with an aggressive nature, I like it. That said, I really like Hooker.

99 - Christian Miller, Edge - Another guy who’s been compared to a player we already have on the team: Samson Ebukam. He’s just as athletic but has been more productive in college. I don' see how he gets to 99, but I was wrong how far Obo would drop this year. Love this pick if the is there and hey, its your mock so why wouldn't he be.Yeah, this is the one I kind of cheated on. I found two big boards / mocks that had him in the 107 range, so I said why not, he'll be there. But most project him higher. Edge defender position is frustrating this year. It seems if we want one, we gotta go early.

Mid 4th (Brockers trade) - David Long, CB yes and yes. Jamel Dean is another name to consider here.

133 - Arman Watts, IDL raw, but has upside. Good pick. Other IDL that might work as well are Wren, Russell, Saunders, Keke, Mack and Christmas.

169 - Foster Moreau, TE - He’d be the TE 2 with Everett taking over as the main TE. Their skill sets are complementary with Moreau being a great blocker. He shined in the Senior Bowl so you know he’s on Snead’s radar. Really good pick at (imo) the exact right spot.

203 - BPA, likely OL or DL depth

251 - BPA, likely OL or DL depth

Projected Starters

QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
WR: Brandin Cooks
WR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joseph Noteboom
C: Brian Allen or Erik McCoy McCoy wins that fight with a TKO in the 2nd round
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

5T: John Franklin-Myers
NT: Johnathan Hankins
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Justin Houston
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: Jordan Hicks
SOLB: Oko or Ebukam or Christian Miller (may the best man win!)love this idea
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: Darnell Savage
SS: John Johnson

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Thoughts, feedback?

Pretty spot on as far as cap room and cap spending as far as I can tell. I like the draft alot. impressive stuff my friend.

Thanks for the feedback!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Dzrams' mock off season

dzrams956March 06, 2019 12:44PM

like your Hankins idea

21Dog252March 06, 2019 02:41PM

Nice work!

Atlantic Ram253March 06, 2019 03:01PM

Re: Nice work!

Coy Bacon190March 07, 2019 05:07AM

Re: Nice work!

dzrams164March 07, 2019 10:09AM