Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Nice work!

March 07, 2019 10:09AM
Atlantic Ram
Thoughts fwiw

1. I would be surprised with Brockers salary if they were able to trade him. And I also don't know that he wasn't injured last season... Just don't have a feel for what's going to happen with Brockers.

2. Hard to believe that a team offered a 7th but balked at a 6th for Higbee. Also hard for me to believe the Rams would have accepted a 6th... but I don't value 6th and 7th round picks as highly I guess. Seems like a solid player and improved in 2018. He made some nice, not to mention difficult, grabs. I'd rather just keep him. Deciding what to do with Higs was one of the harder decisions. Given my suspicion that Everett will get a lot more snaps, they entertained a trade for a 6th, and they pursued a vet TE last year, I ultimately decided that Higbee may not be part of the long term plan. And since his salary is going up now is a good time to make a move.

3. I am ok with keeping CJ Anderson. But I wouldn't give up Brown to do it. I am a Malcolm Brown fan and I think he is starter material and would keep him over CJ.

I could go either way. I like Brown and earlier in the year definitely wanted to tender him. Just not quite as much because I don’t think he would have done what CJ did at the end of the year. We possibly made it to the SB because of CJ’s contribution. That’s gotta count for something.

4. I am on the fence with Hill and Countess. I think Countess did a very nice job with returns. And Hill seemed to regress last season after showing some promise the previous two seasons, IMO. That said, I'm not losing sleep either way. I agree that cheaper alternatives can be had... maybe time to give someone else a chance. IDK

IMO, the only RFAs that justify salary increases to the $2M range are ones that have more potential and candidates to be extended. IOW, future starters or at least borderline starters. I don’t see Hill or Countess in that tier so time to find someone who can do what they do for $500k.

5. I would like the Rams to do better than Fowler. At a minimum I hope they make a hard push for an impact player who can consistently pressure the QB from the edge. Not really down on Fowler. He made some nice plays. I just think the Rams defense would be significantly improved with an impact player at that position. I have read where some are suggesting he will get $9 million... that seems too high. I don't know what's going to happen with Saffold... does he want to play for a loser again for big $$$ or stay with the Rams for slightly less? I kinda don't see Saffold back but it wouldn't surprise me otherwise. I do know that Goff is a lot more effective when he has time to throw. Agreed on pretty much all of this. Except I would pay Fowler $9M...but not a penny more.

6. I don't know enough about the free agents from other teams but I would like to see some solid vets come in. Does Hankins fit? I don't want to discount a run-stuffer just because it doesn't seem like stopping the run is priority one. Is Suh off the table? I don't really like Suh much and would rather see him gone but I'm not sure the Rams wouldn't like him back. I think he may have been more effective in a friendlier rotation rather than playing most of the snaps. I think Hankins fits. From what I understand, he’s played in a 3-4 one gap system before. Suh will be expensive. I don’t think they will have the money to bring him back. I think the plan was always for him to be a one year thing.

7. Back up QB... Mannion never ceases to disappoint. The Rams would be toast with him as a starter. I'm good with a vet like Fitzpatrick.

8. Rams seem to indicate that they are high on Kiser... My concern with that is they seemed to be high on Ebukam last year. I would like to see a solid vet in the middle who has some cover skills. Agreed. I think we need some vet experience.

Hoping a rookie, a few FA's and a few re-signings will put the Rams in a better position than they were last season. Tough to watch that defense last season... phew.

Really nice write up and a good read. Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed the write up. Thanks!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Dzrams' mock off season

dzrams955March 06, 2019 12:44PM

like your Hankins idea

21Dog252March 06, 2019 02:41PM

Nice work!

Atlantic Ram253March 06, 2019 03:01PM

Coy Bacon190March 07, 2019 05:07AM

dzrams163March 07, 2019 10:09AM

they need a Fitzpatrick or similar as the backup QB