Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dzrams' mock off season

March 06, 2019 12:44PM
I post a mock offseason every year. I’ve been delaying this year due to lack of time but it’s no fun if I’m not doing it before they work their plan and since they’ve started I have to do it now.

This mock is a combo of what I would like to see, what I think the Rams could be interested in, and what I think will happen (like market forces, etc).

Cuts:

Mark Barron - Already done. This was obvious. This saves $6.33M on the cap.

Sullivan - Already done. A vet with all the knowledge but his play was terrible and it can’t be justified at $6.25M. This saves $5.25M on the cap.

Trades:

Brockers - High salary and I question his fit. He played very well in the 4-3 but he had subpar performance at DE in the 3-4 this year, and they moved him off the NT in 2017. Like Quinn and Ogletree last year, we trade him for a 4th while simultaneously shedding his salary to be used at a more critical position. This shaves $10.25M off the cap.

Higbee - Traded for a 6th round pick. This is what they countered with during the season when someone offered a 7th. It shows that they’re fine with parting with him. Also, I believe with Everette’s big improvement from 2017 to 2018, his and Higbee’s role will be inverted even if Higs was still on the team. This saves approx. $2M.

Re-sign:

Cory Littleton - RFA 2nd round tender for $3M
CJ Anderson - I think we can resign him somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.5 - $4M. He’s Gurley insurance.
Sam Shields (one year)
Kevin Peterson - ERFA
Morgan Fox - ERFA
JoJo Natson - ERFA
Dominique Hatfield - ERFA
KhaDarel Hodge - ERFA
Garrett Sickels - ERFA

I’m starting to get a strong feeling on both Saffold and Flowers that the market will price us out of retaining them. Losing Saffold will be a tough blow but fortunately we already have Noteboom to slide in his place. I think most of us already expect Suh and Joyner to walk. They may be in a position next year where they have 3 3rd round comp picks.

One of the biggest decisions is what to do with our 4 RFAs - Littleton, M. Brown, Troy Hill, and Countess. I’m not a fan of Hill and Countess even at the lowest tender price of $2M. I think we can find less costly depth than that. Littleton could be considered for an extension but for right now I think we retain him with a 2nd round tender. I’m opting to let Brown go because I’d rather resign CJ. With the recent news of Gurley’s knee health, I think we need a near starting caliber RB behind him.

I’d bring back all of the ERFAs because they are good depth and/or special teams producers, and still very inexpensive for at least one more year.

Free Agents:

Justin Houston, OLB - 3 years, $15M per year - Houston is 30 but still producing at a very high level. PFF rated him as the 12th highest edge defender this year, 5th best in the pass rush grade overall, and 13th highest in their pass rush productivity metric which measures pressure created on a per snap basis. As for stats, we'd be getting a guy who puts up 9 sacks every year, 5 FF this year, and an INT in 12 games. Like Talib he’ll provide leadership, short term near elite production while we develop younger players. A bonus for this signing is he won’t count in the comp pick formula.

Johnathan Hankins, NT - 2 years, $3M per year - Hankins has had a down year in Oakland but prior to that he was very productive as a run stopper in a 3-4.

Jordan Hicks, ILB - 3 years, $6M per year - Hicks is another high character football player that McVay loves. The Eagles are in salary cap hell and will have to part with a leader of their D. He’s consistently been one of the higher rated inside linebackers in the game over the last several years but he’s had some injury issues which keep his price down. Maybe they go with Kiser but I would like to see a little bit more experience on the D side.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB - 1 year, $3M - I don’t like the QB crop in the draft very much so I think a vet like Fitzpatrick provides the best balance between affordability and still competing if Goff went down. I wouldn’t trust a rookie to keep us competitive if called upon next season.

Draft:

Trade down: #31 for #38, and #98

38 - Jeffrey Simmons, IDL - He tore his ACL but did it so early in the process that he could still play as a rookie. He was generally ranked as a top 10 player in the draft. He plays every alignment and shade along the interior DL at a high level. He’d replace Suh who is the player he’s compared to. Alternate pick: Chase Winovich - The knock on him was lack of athleticism. The combine put an end to that. I'd be pretty happy either way.

94 - Erik McCoy, C/OG - He’s either the starting center or good depth.

98 - Darnell Savage, S - Instinctual, very good cover DB. His pro player comp is guess who? A taller, faster Lamarcus Joyner. If not him, I also like Amani Hooker here.

99 - Christian Miller, Edge - Another guy who’s been compared to a player we already have on the team: Samson Ebukam. He’s just as athletic but has been more productive in college.

Mid 4th (Brockers trade) - David Long, CB

133 - Arman Watts, IDL

169 - Foster Moreau, TE - He’d be the TE 2 with Everett taking over as the main TE. Their skill sets are complementary with Moreau being a great blocker. He shined in the Senior Bowl so you know he’s on Snead’s radar.

203 - BPA, likely OL or DL depth

251 - BPA, likely OL or DL depth

Projected Starters

QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
WR: Brandin Cooks
WR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joseph Noteboom
C: Brian Allen or Erik McCoy
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

5T: John Franklin-Myers
NT: Johnathan Hankins
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Justin Houston
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: Jordan Hicks
SOLB: Oko or Ebukam or Christian Miller (may the best man win!)
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: Darnell Savage
SS: John Johnson

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Thoughts, feedback?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 12:45PM by dzrams.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Dzrams' mock off season

dzrams956March 06, 2019 12:44PM

like your Hankins idea

21Dog252March 06, 2019 02:41PM

Nice work!

Atlantic Ram253March 06, 2019 03:01PM

Re: Nice work!

Coy Bacon190March 07, 2019 05:07AM

Re: Nice work!

dzrams164March 07, 2019 10:09AM

they need a Fitzpatrick or similar as the backup QB