Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PS--trying to close out a game

November 22, 2018 08:38AM
The big criticism of McV Monday night was passing rather than running in that last drive. I think that's a superficial way of putting things.

Run the ball in that situation and the chances are you will be punting. But, you force the opposition to call TO.

Now, passing, IMO, is not necessarily a bad call. But, it needs to be high percentage and safe.

This is where a 3-step drop set of options is really desirable. They tend to be easy-to-complete options. And, you can actually coach the QB to protect the clock. Make that quick read. If it isn't there, get back to the LOS as quickly as possible and go down. A 2 yard sack is no worse than a 2-yard loss on a run.

And you know McV DOES coach for situations like this. Todd went down short of the EZ because he had been coached to think clearly in Rolex Time. I don't see why he can't coach Goff to look for a quick pass option and then eat the ball if necessary.

Again, McV is doing so much right. And his consistent use of a double wing formation is brilliant and effective.

But it has a cost. I don't think we can throw short well with everything in tight. I think there IS a cost for that … as there is for every tactic.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Our offense: missing element

RFL363November 22, 2018 08:23AM

Been saying this all year.

BumRap138November 22, 2018 08:27AM

Re: Our offense: missing element

EternalHorns122November 22, 2018 08:37AM

PS--trying to close out a game

RFL117November 22, 2018 08:38AM

Re: It may be more about personnel than formations...

dzrams125November 22, 2018 08:50AM

Well, ...

RFL110November 22, 2018 08:53AM

Re: Well, ...

dzrams112November 22, 2018 09:12AM