Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Our offense: missing element

November 22, 2018 08:23AM
OK, McV is doing wild and wonderful things. But I feel we have a missing element in our offense. And it's one that most hard-to-stop offenses use to drive defenses nutty.

We have not really established a quick-throw game to our WRs.

We do have screens. And Goff does check down to short throws.

But I can't think of many cases where Jared takes a 3-step drop and hits a big bodied receiver. And we have some!

I think it's probably related to his over-all scheme of keeping the wide-outs in tight. He loves to do multiple things from a couple of sets. And that is clearly effective.

But so much of our passing game takes time to develop. We'll convert on 3rd downs to the 2nd or 3rd receiver crossing the field after other motions have dictated the coverage. Again, this is great.

But it isn't great when the defense is bringing a lot of heat. Or on the goal line. Sometimes, you need a throw you can get off in 1.5 seconds to a receiver just getting position. And I don't think we do this well.

I also think there's a cost. Blitzes can have dual effects. Not only can they pressure the passer, but they can also swarm the LOD against the run.

I think we are vulnerable to 5 or 6 guys swarming the LOS. Of course, the way to beat that is to pass just behind the pressure. That will drive the numbers back off of the LOS, re-opening the run and time to throw downfield.

But, we don't really do that. I think it's a limitation.

But what do I know? Not much.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Our offense: missing element

RFL362November 22, 2018 08:23AM

Been saying this all year.

BumRap138November 22, 2018 08:27AM

Re: Our offense: missing element

EternalHorns122November 22, 2018 08:37AM

PS--trying to close out a game

RFL117November 22, 2018 08:38AM

Re: It may be more about personnel than formations...

dzrams125November 22, 2018 08:50AM

Well, ...

RFL109November 22, 2018 08:53AM

Re: Well, ...

dzrams111November 22, 2018 09:12AM