Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goff at Cal ... re-merging this season.

September 30, 2018 08:10AM
When we faced the choice of Wentz or Goff, I was initially on Team Wentz. Pro ready. Big, strong, athletic. Etc.

Then I watched video of Goff's TDs at Cal. Of course, we all know that highlights compilations can be misleading. But I was impressed by two things in Goff's package:

1. The NUMBERS of TDs the man threw. The quantity of the sample size was staggering.
  2. The nature of the throws. The accuracy. The ability to beat coverage and lead people into the end zone.

There are some plays that only great athletes can make. Any decent college QB can hit wide open receivers. But to beat coverage with pinpoint throws … that is a rare ability. See a guy do it once, and you say, Oh. See a guy do it again and again and you know you have something really special.

So, while still valuing Wentz and having some remorse for letting him go to Philly, I became a Goff guy. Before the draft, but only just. I kept seeing that VOLUME of FABULOUS throws and thinking, THAT is a pro QB I want on my team.

So, OK, we all know what happened. Fisher's dotage was a lousy time to get started. But, you know, I always kept the faith. I kept seeing in my mind those throws at Cal. And, in pre-season, I saw a couple of throws that looked like that. And I always thought, yeah, it's there. This guy can be a great QB if that capacity I saw in those Cal highlights can emerge.

Last year and early this year, we saw it start to come forth in an upward curve. But Thursday night … man, that night I think we saw the Cal master step forward. So many of those throws reminded me of those Cal highlights.

Here's a

link to one of the You-Tube videos of Goff at Cal. If you watch it, I think you'll see prototypes of throws he has made the last couple of weeks. Evading rushers with clever feet. Putting scoring throws on a dime. Placing balls past defenders' hands in the end zone.

I think the Cal version of Goff has emerged. And you know that QB was PROLIFIC in throwing TD passes.

I think we're going to have a lot of fun in the next decade.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff at Cal ... re-merging this season.

RFL544September 30, 2018 08:10AM

Re: Goff at Cal ... re-merging this season.

Rams43200September 30, 2018 08:34AM

A pretty high ceiling, I think.

RFL183September 30, 2018 08:57AM

zn219September 30, 2018 09:03AM

I think you are right

NewMexicoRam174September 30, 2018 09:24AM

Agree...but

wv ram206September 30, 2018 10:17AM

Pressure ...

RFL145October 01, 2018 08:15AM

I remember the Montana like Scouting Reports

David Deacon220September 30, 2018 11:53AM

I remember the Montana like Scouting Reports. You were there Deacon

Anonymous User217September 30, 2018 01:08PM

I had no clue

WhiteHorns202September 30, 2018 01:08PM

Steve176September 30, 2018 07:05PM

I never questioned the pick for a second

reggae136September 30, 2018 07:41PM

first time I watched Goff closely at Cal...

LMU93142October 01, 2018 04:47AM