Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Enormous gamble that typifies Raiders/Davis. Going to change the HC paradigm.

January 06, 2018 05:27AM
This is going to be either a grand slam, or a strike out with the bases loaded. Nothing in between.

I'm not sure I know of a coach who hadn't coached at any level for nearly a decade, coming out of retirement, and then leading a team to success for the next several years.

Gruden is young enough to have the energy for it, no doubt.

But is HCing a perishable skill?
Or is it like riding a bicycle?
I don't know. I'm not sure there's evidence one way or the other. Marv Levy was out for 3 years (sort of), and came back and was successful. But leaving coaching entirely and working TV for a decade before diving back into coaching again? I don't think there is precedence for that.

But you can also bet that since he's getting that kind of a staggering deal (although not THAT unprecedented since Jimbo Fisher recently got $75 mil for 10 years to coach Texas A&M), that Gruden is going to also have a lot of say over personnel and the roster.

But consider this as well: what with Fisher and Gruden getting huge dollar, full decade contracts, that is going to change future HC contracts for big name guys. Not that a newbie like McVay would have received such a deal; but another couple of years similar to this year and the Rams are going to NEED to lock McVay up on one of those 10 year megabucks deals or somebody will make it clear that they will.

Would Harbaugh come back to the NFL for that kind of scratch and longevity? Might Cowher? I suspect they would. But you can also bet that the more conservative owners will refuse to go that route for the foreseeable future because the money liability is just huge and not a joke even for a Billionaire. What if Gruden completely bombs with the Raiders? Parcells and Jimmy Johnson bombed out when they moved teams for huge bucks. What if they look more like Cleveland in 3 years than the Rams? Does Davis have the bucks to just throw $70 mil into a dumpster and burn it? Because you can bet that Gruden would go back to the broadcast booth and not to another NFL team if that happened.

Welcome back Jon. Can't wait to see those priceless Chucky faces on the sidelines again.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Gruden $100 M for 10 years

Speed_Kills433January 05, 2018 02:32PM

Re: Gruden $100 M for 10 years

dzrams179January 05, 2018 02:50PM

Re: I'm sure there is an out...NM

laram163January 05, 2018 04:23PM

Re: I'm sure there is an out...NM

DudeRam222January 05, 2018 04:57PM

It's definitely unprecedented

EternalHorns167January 05, 2018 03:06PM

Gruden Head Coaching Record

EternalHorns206January 05, 2018 04:12PM

It's a good deal ... Raiders are relocating.

alyoshamucci202January 05, 2018 05:02PM

Its a 10 year deal for $100M

Speed_Kills182January 05, 2018 05:49PM

Re: It's a good deal ... Raiders are relocating.

MamaRAMa268January 06, 2018 05:32AM

Yeah. I always thought the "relocating experience" was silly.

RockRam176January 06, 2018 05:52AM

Enormous gamble that typifies Raiders/Davis. Going to change the HC paradigm.

RockRam144January 06, 2018 05:27AM

About the Rams locking up McVay...

Rams43177January 06, 2018 07:16AM