Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sunk cost

December 22, 2017 08:56PM
Rams43
Firstly, do we really need a “#1 WR” in this McVay O? I’m not so sure. After all, spreading the ball around is bedrock McVay philosophy. And that philosophy has worked just fine all season long. Sooooo...

Secondly, the 2nd and Gaines assets are a sunk cost. They’re gone and now irrelevant as to whether to keep Watkins beyond this year.

Thirdly, there are alternatives to extending Watkins. Reynolds is one. Another FA (hopefully like Woods) is a viable option, too. IOW, Watkins is currently NOT a must have. Especially given other needed extensions that will gobble cap dollars.

Know what? I think Rock’s suggestion of a 2 year $18 million contract with $9 million guaranteed makes a ton of sense to both parties. Kind of a semi prove it but at a market price, you know?

My guess is that Watkins will be here next year unless he gets greedy.

I see what you mean. My point was coughing up a second rounder could speak to the intent of the Rams in the first place to think they could come to a longer term arrangement.

Taking a cue from McVay's proving grounds, they scooped up DeSean Jackson from PHI for year or two, Garçon probably the WR workhorse, both arguably borderline Pro Bowl at their best but inconsistent. TE Vernon Davis was their best receiving talent when healthy (not often). Rams do have two potentially quality TEs, Higbee isn't on Reed's level, likely McVay saw some of him in the rookie TE, but just because there are similarities in physical traits & athletic attributes, doesn't mean he will ever attain that talent level. Gurley definitely the engine, focal point & centerpiece of the offense all else revolves around.

I also like Rock's compromise suggestion, just don't know if he will find that acceptable. I suspect Rams may value him more than just his pure recent production & numbers might suggest, & part of that was the promise he flashed his first few years when healthy (and brilliant, elite, blue chip Clemson body of work). Also, as a simple matter of free agents historically in their first year, WRs typically don't set the league on fire - so much of receiving predicated on timing, rapport, chemistry. But that does beg the question some have alluded to, Woods was being more productive in HIS first free agent season, too. And rookies usually start slow, but Kupp doing well (and as was pointed out, to be fair, Watkins drawing opposing top CBs no doubt helps them greatly, they might be as productive without him).

And to reiterate, Goff is two years behind Wentz age & physical development-wise. He could have upside, which Watkins could be the beneficiary of in future seasons.

Hoping he neither expects nor is offered a top 10-type contract, but Rams are otherwise willing & able to stretch for a contract more indicative & reflective of his formidable potential when at the proven level of his best (capacity for greatness not entirely hypothetical or speculative, he has flashed, but injuries first two years prevented stringing together more consistent high level success). He did come within about a reception of 1,000 yards as a rookie, possibly missing a game & hurt in others, which is pretty exceptional. Even in first two years, on a per game basis, not sure there were 10 WRs with better stats? And remember, he was saddled with brutal QB like E.J. Manuel early, which did his stats & production no favors. Whatever he got he earned.

It is possible injuries have robber him of some explosiveness, but that is a question better answered by the resident avid film watchers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 09:29PM by Kind of Blue/Gold.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

How much is Watkins worth, how much will he want?

Kind of Blue/Gold815December 21, 2017 07:39PM

Re: How much is Watkins worth, how much will he want?

Rams43335December 21, 2017 07:49PM

Kind of Blue/Gold330December 21, 2017 09:25PM

What he's worth to the Rams versus what he wants or gets

RockRam285December 22, 2017 02:14AM

David Deacon258December 22, 2017 03:37AM

If I'm Dallas, I'm all over him...

jemach360December 22, 2017 03:54AM

He'll be in....

TheGuru270December 22, 2017 04:05AM

Top 10 WR but top 50 results

Rams_81389December 22, 2017 03:51AM

Two to Tango <nm>

SalsaRama217December 22, 2017 10:17PM

Re: Top 10 WR but top 50 results

leafnose189December 23, 2017 05:12AM

Several interesting questions to discuss here

PeoriaRa246December 22, 2017 07:17AM

the price paid for a 1 year rental

headslapper264December 22, 2017 07:32AM

The more I think about it, the more complicated it seems...

Rams43259December 22, 2017 07:44AM

Sunk cost

Kind of Blue/Gold255December 22, 2017 08:56PM

Um tender him with a 1st or 2nd

alyoshamucci294December 22, 2017 10:31AM

Re: He's an UFA...

dzrams267December 22, 2017 11:08AM

Re: He's an UFA...

alyoshamucci281December 22, 2017 12:31PM

Re: IMHO......Watkins will be back as a Ram.

oldschoolramfan254December 22, 2017 11:57AM

Reminded of Goff: Advantage of cap-friendly, cost controlled contract

Kind of Blue/Gold361December 22, 2017 09:20PM

We have all seen tape of Goff missing watkins when open...my question is..

RFIP236December 23, 2017 05:55AM