Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The assessment that matters: McVay's

July 28, 2017 07:00AM
Opinions abound, fans, press, pundits ...

The opinion that matters is McVay's. Of course, he hasn't exactly overflowed with kudos for Goff. So we need to look at his actions.

Les recently reviewed what I think is a significant fact: the private interview McVay had with Goff BEFORE McVay signed the contract.

Now, Les did not say that McVay came away thrilled. But here is the point I would emphasize: after meeting with Goff, and, obviously, studying game film, McVay went ahead and signed up with the Rams.

In all of this, I see no evidence that McVay is convinced Goff will be great. However, I do think it is fair to conclude that McVay would have been reluctant to sign with the Rams had he figured Goff was a loser.

Of course, he MIGHT have signed with an agreement to deal Goff away, or at least to provide a Plan B. But I don't believe the Rams have made any effort to seek a replacement. They are clearly committed to putting the season in Goff's hands.

Again, this seems significant to me. McVay is a brand new, really young HC who will be judged on whether he can improve a moribund club. His entire future as a coach--and as a youngster he has a long career ahead of him--will be shaped by his work this year. He doesn't have to win a ring, but if he coaches another Ram failure with no improvement, his career will take a serious blow. McVay NEEDS to have some success this year.

And McVay's whole reputation is based on QB whispering and the passing game. He's not a defensive coach who can simply pass off offensive failure as someone else's failure. He is the guy who lifts QBs. If he fails badly with Goff, it will hurt him.

Given all of this, I cannot imagine McVay not believing that he can bring Goff along. He cannot see Goff as the bum that many believe him to be. If he did we would not have signed with us or he would have focused a lot of effort in finding a replacement. He would not be going into camp today with a lead QB he didn't believe in and not much else.

So where does that get us? Well, it gets us, I think, a couple of blocks down the road. I am NOT concluding that McVay thinks Goff is a stud in the making. Indeed, the lack of expressed enthusiasm for Goff on the part of the Rams brass is noteworthy. McVay may very well see Goff as a limited guy.

And, of course, whatever McVay thinks doesn't close the case. McVay, too, might be wrong. He might be overestimating his own ability to support a limited QB.

But I do think it's pretty safe to suppose that our HC does believe that Goff has enough talent for McVay to show progress this year. Enough to build on. He has to believe he can raise Goff's game and the offense at least enough to say, "Well, we made progress with what we had to work with. Now, though, I think we need a better option at QB." I think he believes that Goff's floor is enough for a generally successful 1st year and that his ceiling could be pretty good.

To me, McVay's view of all of this is the only one that matters. He is the QB and offensive expert. He is putting his career on the line. He studies the film. He knows what he wants to do with Goff's capabilities. He's the guy with his hand on the wheel. McVay trusts Goff enough to put his 1st season as HC in Goff's hands.

The rest of us are nothing more than kibbitzers ... including all these would-be pundits and experts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2017 07:00AM by RFL.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff - Can we give this kid a chance!!!

tclahammeer786July 27, 2017 11:30AM

Re: Goff - Can we give this kid a chance!!!

zn374July 27, 2017 11:41AM

Rams43386July 27, 2017 11:52AM

He will have to prove it to me

FootballGenius321July 27, 2017 11:56AM

Re: He will have to prove it to me

Rams43353July 27, 2017 12:00PM

Re: He will have to prove it to me

FootballGenius317July 27, 2017 12:03PM

If anyone is actually concerned, just watch this

rambleon381July 27, 2017 12:50PM

RamFanInPA287July 27, 2017 03:36PM

Alll we are sayyyyyying.... is give Goff a channnnnce -nm

Old Goat287July 27, 2017 03:47PM

Give The Kid A Break

IowaRam325July 27, 2017 03:55PM

Ah yeah, you are

RFIP297July 27, 2017 03:58PM

You can ask folks, but It's more than just giving #16 a "chance"

Anonymous User455July 27, 2017 04:32PM

Nope...he blows.

DaJudge406July 27, 2017 07:15PM

What's wrong with excuses?

Atlantic Ram276July 27, 2017 08:42PM

socalmab302July 28, 2017 03:42AM

He appears to not be the answer

Rams_81305July 28, 2017 04:36AM

I think everyone is willing to give him a chance...

PaulButcher59259July 28, 2017 05:13AM

The assessment that matters: McVay's

RFL307July 28, 2017 07:00AM

Re: The assessment that matters: McVay's

socalmab341July 28, 2017 07:45AM

No disagreement here.

RFL376July 28, 2017 08:03AM