Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: McVay really has his hands full with this O renovation...

July 19, 2017 02:29PM
Rams43
zn
He's installing a new offense and must get Goff up to speed.

Every team with a new head coach and a young, not yet established qb goes through that. How many times a decade does that happen? IE it's not rare.

I personally don't consider it to be overwhelming. It just sounds like standard issue 1st year coach stuff, if you also include the young qb part.

It would help a lot if Gurley is back on track.

Not rare, zn?

Let's see...

All McVay needs to do is fix the following by improving from cellar status the following O positions:

QB
RB
OL (pretty much across the board)
WR
TE

Ummmmm...

What DOESN'T need to be raised from pathetic status on O?

And you consider that renovation more or less normal for a new HC? Or am I reading you wrong?

I get where you're coming from 43 and why you say what you say. But for what it's worth I just don't see it the same way. Not entirely anyway. That's in part because we don't even know how much of the offense is an issue because it was very young last year. Most of all, it had a rookie qb, one who was bound to struggle no matter where he went because he entered the league that far behind in terms of playing a pro offense. That doesn't mean the team is in the emergency room in critical condition...it just means that as with a lot of rookie qbs, it's hard to tell right now.

And as Rambleon points out, that's not all on McVay anyway. He has an OL coach and offensive coordinator and a qb coach. The OL coach especially is a very solid veteran.

And Goff has recently said that Gurley is working harder than he has ever seen him, which to me means we find out this year if TG is the real thing or a one year wonder. Because among the many things that went wrong last year, one of them was Gurley himself.

So to me, McVay does not have any more to do than most new coaches do. When a new coach comes in, the offense is either really young and has to develop, or it is really bad and has to be blown up. It's almost invariably one or the other, to one extent or another. So no I honestly don't see anything rare about this. Add either a rookie or a 2nd year qb and that's just more to deal with...either way, this is not unprecedented or unusual.

So far, near as we can tell right now about who the starters are, the new additions are Whitworth, Sullivan, Kupp, and Woods. All good additions. 4 guys who were not on the roster in 2016. Is 4 additions a lot? Depends...when Carroll started winning in Seattle in 2012, he ended up starting only ONE guy who was on the Seattle roster in 2009, the year before he got there. Are the Rams problems that deep? I just don't think they are (Unless Goff tanks.)

It depends on Tavon, Saffold, Hav, Brown, Higbee, Goff, and Gurley. I don't know about you but I do not see a situation where in 2019, McVay's 3rd year, there will be only ONE of those guys left,. like the situation with Carroll's third year in Seattle.

So to me McVay has to install a new offense and shepherd a young qb. A lot of that is similar to virtually any new coach, especially ones who have rookie or 2nd year qbs, and in fact to me this situation looks a lot better than a lot of others I've seen.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay really has his hands full with this O renovation...

Rams43763July 19, 2017 07:36AM

zn438July 19, 2017 08:35AM

Rams43264July 19, 2017 08:50AM

Ehhhh, yes and no

rambleon261July 19, 2017 09:18AM

canuckramsfans216July 19, 2017 01:44PM

zn292July 19, 2017 02:29PM

Rams43266July 19, 2017 04:23PM

zn262July 19, 2017 05:14PM

McVay and Goff are the perfect match....

Rampage2K-274July 19, 2017 01:11PM

Maybe, but ONLY if the OL holds up

max254July 19, 2017 02:12PM

Again, it's the biggest unknown

Old Goat237July 19, 2017 02:29PM

the "o" has been a disaster

Atlantic Ram261July 19, 2017 03:00PM