Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Robert Quinn's Brain Tumor

November 15, 2016 01:49PM
That's correct. The brain tumor was not removed. Here's an excerpt from a 2014 CBS article about it.

Meet Robert Quinn, who is terrifying QBs while living with a brain tumor
by Pete Prisco @PriscoCBS Apr 28, 2014

Quinn and the tumor

Quinn is a great player, period. But what he has accomplished so far in his three seasons is even more astounding when you consider he's doing so with a brain tumor in his head.

Yes, brain tumor.

That just sounds horrific and frightening, but you would never know it by talking to Quinn.

"I've been living with it for so long, I don't think twice about it until they tell me I need to go get a checkup," Quinn said. "It's part of me."

The tumor, the size of a dime, has been at the base of his brain at least since it was first discovered during his senior season in high school in North Charleston, SC, in 2007. Quinn said he first realized something might be wrong when he had constant headaches, but others later told him they also noticed he had trouble with balance and his mother said his eyes were a yellowish color.

Then one Sunday, he collapsed twice at the family home and was raced to the hospital. He was a 17-year-old kid who had no idea what was wrong.

"They ran some tests and some scans and they told me I had a brain tumor," Quinn said. "A few days later, they told me I wasn't playing sports again. Potentially, I could have been brain dead. Being 17, that's a lot to take on."

UNC DE Robert Quinn said when he was told he had brain tumor 5 yrs ago "it was heartbreaking. My Boobie Miles Moment. I burst into tears."
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFcool smiley February 26, 2011

Quinn said the tumor, which was at the top of his spinal cavity, was preventing the fluid from flowing in and out of his brain like it should. It was building up and causing pressure on his brain, thus the headaches. Doctors operated, drilling two holes to drain the fluid, but leaving the dime-size tumor in his head.

"They did their best to take care of it," Quinn said. "At the same time, they didn't want to put me in a situation where my dreams and goals were shortened because of the tumor. That had to weigh a few options. The one they took worked out for the best."

Quinn was back wrestling the next spring and went to North Carolina on a full football scholarship and earned a starting job as a true freshman. He also started as a sophomore and finished with 10½ sacks. He appeared poised for a big junior season, but he was ruled ineligible for lying to investigators about taking jewelry -- two watches -- and travel from an agent.

Quinn has said he didn't know the man was an agent, but it didn't matter. His college career was over. He entered the 2011 draft with many questions, including the tumor and the ban from college sports.

"I was nervous about how teams would approach it," Quinn said.

He said then-Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo told him they heard his explanation and focused on his tape. That led to Quinn being the 14th player taken in 2011 at the age of 20. In the three years since, he has 34½ sacks, 29½ of those the past two seasons.

Quinn said he undergoes tests on the tumor twice a year. The Rams are part of the testing.

"We check on it every so many months," Snead said. "Since he's been in the organization, it hasn't gotten any worse. That's a great thing for him. Being able to overcome that, that's the grit you see from him on Sundays."

Quinn hopes it can also help send a message.

"That it may give kids a little inspiration," he said. "Even if things seem tough, there's a guy out there who was told at the age of 17 that he might be brain dead and never play sports again. And here I am seven years later living my childhood dream."

[www.cbssports.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Robert Quinn admitted to hospital for seizures

Paydirt1150November 14, 2016 10:27AM

terrible news....

Rampage2K-601November 14, 2016 10:31AM

Jeesh.....so scary!!!

SunTzu_vs_Camus493November 14, 2016 10:33AM

Re: Jeesh.....so scary!!!

Barf33483November 14, 2016 10:48AM

STATEMENT FROM LA RAMS ON DE ROBERT QUINN

Shaky652November 14, 2016 10:55AM