Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some observations from being at the game . . .

August 22, 2016 10:28PM
While I own season tickets in LA, I never intended to attend the second preseason game. Though I live in Cali, I live in the part that is 15 minutes from Oregon so its still a hike. However, having missed the first game due to a plane cancellation, I decided to bite the bullet and go to the game.

First, I'll join some of the other long time fans in first saying how surreal the whole experience was. The Los Angeles Rams, playing at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Though I have been a fan since I was 5 (1975), I didn't live in Los Angeles so my first Rams experience at the Coliseum was the Rams v. Raiders with the Rams as the visiting team (a W) and again in 1993? (a loss on a late Ronnie Lott INT). That said, I have also been a student of the history of the Rams and the Coliseum is really Exhibit A of that illustrious history. 1946-1979 - over three decades at this historical stadium. Given the way NFL Stadiums have become disposable, it is hard to imagine the Rams ever spending so much time at any future site. Indeed, assuming Inglewood opens in 2019 - it will be in the 2050s when the Rams would begin to approach the same number of years in that stadium.

I would estimate that there were probably 50-60000 people at this game. Not the 90000 of the first game, but still hugely impressive for a 2nd week of preseason. I have no doubt that the stadium will be fully rocking (think 90,000) when the seahawks come to town in week 2. That is going to be special.

I will say when the game started, they played that "coming home" soundtrack and were intermingling video from hard knox week 1 where Goodell announces the Rams are moving to LA and they showed those clips of the Edward jones dome getting cleared out. Though I am thrilled the Rams are in California, I have to admit some real heartfelt sadness watching that clip. Some of the best memories I will ever have (1999 v. Minny, 1999 v. Tampa, 1999 v. 49ers, 2001 v. Dolphins, 2001 v. Green Bay, 2001, v. Philly 2001) took place in that stadium I was watching being dismantled on the big screen.

Nostalgia aside, there is something awesome about being at the game. My view was from the 20 yard line about 60 rows up. Not my perfect seats, but still a nice vantage point to watch the game. It is from those seats that I make the following observations:

1. Offensive Line. If there is one weak link that I believe has prevented this team from getting to the playoffs outside of the obvious black hole at QB its been the play of the offensive line. What was immediately noticeable at this game was that our offensive line appears to be gelling nicely and will likely be a force this year. All of this without arguably last years MVP on the line Hav. I actually watched GR and Tim Barnes quite a bit this game and both seemed to play very well. They gave the QB time, they opened holes and, if this game was any indication, I am looking forward to watching the our o line become the center of an offense that can dictate some things particularly in the running game. During the 2nd half, GR was dancing and hamming it up on the sideline. Dude appears relaxed and confident. Right where I want him to be.

2. RBs: Not saying anything new here. We have a true stable of backs. Todd, Benny and Malcolm. 3 deep and each have their own skill sets. I am already a huge benny fan but Malcolm seems to be getting it done as well dating back to the last game of the year last year. Very excited about our backs.

3. QB. I like Case Keenum. He represents to me the type of player you want on your team. Gritty, competitive, with some pedigree (all time leader in several NCAA passing categories). That said, on the play action to Britt - YIKES. That play occurred in front of me. Britt had his guy beat badly and Case launched a grossly underthrown ball. We got bailed out by the obvious PI but that was bad. That said, he seems so much more comfortable then Goff. You can see the game is moving way too fast for Goff right now and Keenum is the clear starter at this point and frankly, I hope they let Case guide us through the first 4 weeks at least.

The best analogy I can think of for what is going on with Goff was when I moved to LA from my small town to go to school. Though I was an aggressive driver at home, I found myself merging from the 110 to the 10 leaving school and being nervous, wanting the radio turned off, looking around, clutching the steering wheel being freaked out by the speed of the traffic. Fast forward 2 months and I was the hitting that merge with the radio on, shaving with an electric razor, turning the radio and eating food and passing everyone. The traffic had slowed down.

I figured I had the congested driving figured out by driving in LA then I spent 4 months in Athens, Greece and realized the jump from my hometown to LA was High School to College and LA to Athens was College to the NFL. Yes, the driving "slowed down" after a few months, but it was thinking, panicking and not reacting for several months as you become adjusted to the speed and style of "play". (By the way driving in Cairo Egypt is the NFL Playoffs in case you are wondering).

So it is clear to me that the game is too fast for Goff right now. He is the country driver with mad skills driving in the "big city" for the first time. You can see flashes and I have no concerns over him long term. Glad to have him even at the price we paid, but he aint ready. He needs to drive some more and get used to the speed before we give him the keys to the car.

With the growth of the oline, I think our Keenum can keep us competitive and in the hunt for the season and let Goff figure things out.

WR: Does anybody think if Quick was a UDFA or a 7th round pick he would be still on the team? Remember the Vince Jackson comparisons? It worked for 1-2 season as it would for anyone that doesn't produce initially. However, by now Jackson already put up 1000 yards and was on to season 5 putting up another one. Brian Quick? Not so much. Dropping multiple passes. Enough already. He appears willing to block and does so fairly well for a WR, but come on, you have to catch the ball. Would love to see him go after the first cuts and make room for some of the youngsters to get some reps. Britt, TA, Cooper and Spruce appear to be locks. Do we waste the 5th spot on a guy that had done nothing in his first 4 years and appears to be regressing in this 5th? Pass. Let the youngsters fight it out over the next couple of weeks and lets admit the mistake and move on already.

TE. Didn't get to see baby Gronke, but what is not to like about him. Haven't heard anything about his legal case, but unless you kill someone (I'm looking at you Hernandez), from what I understand of his case, he should skate. Really looking forward to seeing what the kid can do. By the way, the absence of Cook is a beautiful thing. I really enjoyed NOT seeing him at the game.

On Defense, I am very concerned about the loss of Rodney McCloud. I think that one hurts the most. Though I trust Fisher to take care of the secondary. In fact, its one area that I think is a real strength of his (along with RBs), there appears to be some problems in the backfield. I understand not paying JJ the big bucks, but I didn't get the McCloud non-signing. I am not comfortable at all with this unit and I can hear LARAM talking about Tru not being exposed to the other teams #1 like he will be each week this year. Hope things get better when the full force of Quinn, Hayes, Brockers and Donald are all playing together.

LBs. I didn't get a good feel for what is going on but I like Tree and love Barron. I figure our Dline (assuming the health of Quinn) will be a strength. I just hope it doesn't take 9 games to start to gel etc. Frankly, I am worried about our defense right now and they have not inspired against either Dallas's 1st or 2nd team nor KC's Johnny Unit . . .I mean Alex Smith.

Hope to see some improvement in week 3 against Denver.

Overall, a really fun experience. After hearing some of the nightmares about parking and getting out, I lucked into a spot across from the stadium at some dudes apartment complex and I was back at the airport literally 30 minutes after the game. That's my spot from here out!

I've really kept my expectations lower this year but after watching the oline play and looking at the points for category (49 in two games), I'm thinking we may see an uptick in our offensive play. The type that may move the needle from 7-9 to 9-7 or 10-6. (Yeah, Im getting sucked in again particularly in light of Fisher owning his 5th full year with a team (13-3).

If they end up sucking, well, there is always next year.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some observations from being at the game . . .

stlramz1477August 22, 2016 10:28PM

Re: Some observations from being at the game . . .

roman18514August 23, 2016 02:43AM

Re: Very nice review counselor!!...NM

laram634August 23, 2016 03:55AM

Re: Enjoyed that thx. Good read nm

Speed_Kills307August 23, 2016 03:58AM

Good Read! Thanks!!....NM

Crazylegs384August 23, 2016 04:02AM

Rams43407August 23, 2016 08:00AM

You're good with words...

JamesJM358August 23, 2016 08:01AM

An example of what a great post this was, stlramz...

Rams43426August 23, 2016 08:12AM

That's some good stuff man...

Guard431August 23, 2016 08:31AM

Rampage2K-414August 23, 2016 10:02AM

stlramz421August 23, 2016 10:24AM

leafnose541August 24, 2016 05:34PM

Great read....

RAMbler399August 23, 2016 10:36AM

Some observations from being at the game . Thanks stlramz

Anonymous User558August 23, 2016 04:13PM

Johnny Unit

Atlantic Ram406August 23, 2016 04:27PM

enjoyed your report nm

21Dog397August 23, 2016 04:50PM

Thanks for that

Old Goat412August 24, 2016 05:54PM

ferragamo79350August 24, 2016 06:39PM