Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looks like Rams sticking with Blythe or someone else on roster for C position...

March 17, 2021 04:31PM
Some BIG names at the center position added to NFC West teams... Mack to the 9ers and Cardinals add Hudson.

You have to think the Rams are thinking continuity on the O line vs. adding a well known athlete. Blythe hasn't signed elsewhere yet and McVay has spoken well of him (of course that could be the kiss of death, too). But you would think Hudson would have been a guy they would have gone after since he has played in CA and NV and it would have been an easy move of the family to Los Angeles from either place. Other than Linsley, Hudson would have been the best available center in my opinion.

It's not impossible for the Rams to pick-up a guy like Martin, Andrews or Reiter, but if they really felt they needed a big improvement at the position, they likely could have figured out how to sign Mack (5.5M - 1 year) which is 1.6M more than Blythe's cap hit last season. Since Karras signed with NE for 4M (1 year) they might bring Blythe back for even less than the 3.9M he cost in 2020.

When you factor in that Whit is coming back and all the other OL on the roster... I just don't see any major changes for 2021. Might they draft a potential future LT, sure but with the draft capital that they do have, it's not going to be someone that most of us would have confidence in replacing Big Whit in 2022.

So... I'm thinking the Rams are betting that leaving things alone and rolling out the same guys from last year, with another year of working in unison, will result in a better offensive line. Personally, unless Blythe can add 15 "good" pounds and get considerably stronger in his lower body, I don't see much improvement to the middle of the line which, is where most of the teams that dominated the Rams were able to bring havoc into the Rams backfield.

Say what you want but Stafford is no spring chicken and if he has guys in his face immediately after the snap, I don't think he'll fair much better than JG did. I'm a bit disappointed that the C position hasn't been fixed yet. But, at the same time, I'm hoping that continuity does help and/or that they just haven't made a move yet and something will still take place. After all, there's not a lot of dollars to work with.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Looks like Rams sticking with Blythe or someone else on roster for C position...

PSJRam507March 17, 2021 04:31PM

ugh...watch the Jets game

ferragamo79267March 17, 2021 04:34PM

Re: ugh...watch the Jets game

PSJRam238March 17, 2021 04:37PM

PHDram197March 17, 2021 05:07PM

PSJRam186March 17, 2021 05:14PM

Is that the case for all zone blocking schemes?

Ram_Ruler317March 17, 2021 06:30PM

Re: Is that the case for all zone blocking schemes?

dzrams159March 17, 2021 06:50PM

Personally I'm a fan of the power gap scheme.

Ram_Ruler194March 17, 2021 07:04PM

no

zn194March 17, 2021 07:05PM

Well no quarterback plays well when they're pressured more than 10 times do they?

Ram_Ruler146March 18, 2021 01:28AM

Re: Well no quarterback plays well when they're pressured more than 10 times do they?

zn247March 18, 2021 01:37AM

I certainly guess we'll see.

Ram_Ruler199March 18, 2021 01:59AM