Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The REAL elephant in the Room AD’s future contract

January 18, 2018 03:31AM
Donald is looking for a new contract. As the consensus best defensive player in the NFL he will be getting a big contract sooner or later. Based on contracts given to top players he is going to be very expensive, especially for an interior lineman. Will a new contract for him break the bank and cripple the teams efforts to sign other free agents (including their own). He has one more year on this contract and can’t hold out like last year or he will give the Rams another season of control. Will they put a franchise tag on him after next season rather than sign him to a long term contract? The franchise amount for linemen may be less than I expect it will take to sign him long term, but the long term contract would be guaranteed. Long term guaranteed contracts in the NFL are scary propositions based on the average career length of players. So the security of one should result in some discount offered by the player to get it.

I’ve never been a fan of giving one player, even a QB such a disproportionately large contract that it cripples a teams ability to add talent and keep their own talent. My hope is he signs a long term contract for less than is expected but a large portion of which is guaranteed. If not the Rams will most likely use a franchise tag on him. The team has holes to fill, many free agents to resign and depth is much needed. Then the Elephant in the room (back up Qcool smiley could be addressed.

I like Heckler as the backup although his completion rate has been on the decline.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The REAL elephant in the Room AD’s future contract

hammer517January 18, 2018 03:31AM

AD’s future contract? Not a problem.

AlbaNY_Ram202January 18, 2018 04:04AM

Re: AD’s future contract? Not a problem.

LMU93149January 18, 2018 04:11AM

+1 on both AR & LMU

zn123January 18, 2018 06:46AM

There is rumor that he wants to be guaranteed as the highest paid player

RockRam139January 18, 2018 04:38AM

Re: If AD wants to play hard ball..............

oldschoolramfan286January 18, 2018 05:21AM

Agreed, and something that keeps coming to mind....

RAMbler125January 18, 2018 05:37AM