Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deadpool's 2024 Rams Draft Review

April 29, 2024 05:05PM
Again, just my opinion. I don't do grades. If I did grades after last year's draft, I would have been so far off base, I'd have lost all credibility. Thanks Kobie Turner and Steve Avila.

First some general thoughts including the trade to land Fiske. Some are thoughts on my boards and how I thought it shook out compared to reality.

1. Trade next years 2nd to move up for Fiske. Did it seem like a lot to me? A bit. Was that the asking price? For sure. But looking at how the 2nd round was going, and watching all the top tier WRs and DTs going like hot cakes, I'm not sure who would have been left for the Rams at 52. Michael Hall Jr for sure, but comparing him to Fiske is not as close as they were picked. Newton, Orhorhoro and Sweat were gone. Maason Smith and Jenkins went before 52 so I expect them to still be gone because unless someone else moved up for Fiske, I'm not sure 1 of those guys gets pushed to 52. Could of you made a smaller move up to secure one of those 2? probably, but Fiske was a great fit and a better player than those 2. After those guys, DT takes a bit of a drop. So then you move to WR to get a top tier WR and leave DT to round 3. Well, Legette and Pearsall all went in the 1st, Coleman and McConkey gone at the very top of round 2. Even Polk was taken and I thought he was a reach. AD Mitchell was available, but he is the Anti-Ram draft pick being difficult to coach amongst other things. So move on to another position, maybe grab a CB or SAF like Melton, maybe a small move for Sainristil or SAF Cole Bishop after maybe moving back a bit. Outside of that, the Rams were really in no man's land compared to value meeting needs meeting fit. I really loved Fiske coming into the draft after starting out cold on him. He was a deep dive that I liked more and more as I saw him. Including SB and Combine. So end of the day, I will miss next years #2, but bird in the hand as they say.

2. Of my 220 top prospects (enough for the top 6 rounds) Only 25 were not drafted at all. I felt good about that, because I am not anywhere near a pro and lack medicals and interviews and all the backgrounding these teams have. All of my top 100 were drafted, My top miss was #111 (Beau Brade - SAF - Maryland ) both Alyo and I liked this kid alot more than scouts did. Only 5 of my top 150 weren't drafted, so 20 of my final 70 were not drafted, and as I have said over and over, After the top 150, it gets pretty unpredictable.

3. On my Rams Big Board, I got 8 of 10. Which I felt was pretty good. I missed on Brennan Jackson, which just missed my top 220, so wasn't available for my Rams board, and frankly, I thought his profile didn't match the Rams defense. I missed Beau Limmer as well, since for the first time in forever, I ignored all OCs...go figure. I think what really helped was I focused on how the Rams have been drafting of late and paid special attn to those guys in the draft process. It also helps when you have an amazing poster like Youngblood53 telling you who is a scheme fit and who isn't. Thank you sir. Where were my criteria for players in general:
a) High Character - if I read a red flag on someone, out. If he was a team captain then + sign for him.
b) Hot motor - takes plays off, you are probably not a Rams fit, If you go hard snap to snap to the whistle, again you get a +
c) The Rams seem to take advantage of the extra covid year college guys got, they have no issues with 24 year old draft prospects. They are more seasoned, and seem to fit their timeline as they are mostly full grown and more ready to contribute right away.
d) after that its RAS score to some extent and Senior Bowl performance for more +s
e) lastly scheme fit. I still struggle with guys in that 265 to 275 lb range as the Rams like them and I just don't know what to do with them.

4. The first round went fairly smooth except for Penix Jr getting grabbed by Atl, and Pearsall and Legette going at the end of the 1st. Legette was telling everyone that would listen that Carolina promised to take him at 33 if he was available, so going 32 wasn't shocking I guess. Pearsall was a reach by the 9ers, not other way to say it. As great as round 1 broke for the Rams, round broke the other way. It was DTs and WRs early forcing their hand. I'm ok with that. Rounds 3 thru 7 I thought went pretty smooth for the Rams.

Ok on to the picks:

1.19 Jared Verse - EDGE - FSU - 6'-4" 254 lbs. - Twitched up, speed to power merchant that can really apply pressure to OL early in the rep. Solid setting an edge as well.

He was my 15th overall rated prospect, and my 7th overall Rams specific board prospect (and the top one available at 19) He was also my 3rd rated EDGE.
He was in my other names to watch in my 2nd mock with the 19th pick, but I didn't expect him to be there.

From a post I made 11 months ago on prospects to watch for next year, since the Rams had a 1st round pick:
Jared Verse, FSU - Shocked he didn't come out, he had to have had a 1st round grade. Played for Albany, then transferred to FSU, so maybe he wanted 2 years of production at a high end school 6'-4" 250 lbs of relentlessness. In the run and pass game. Flexible enough to flatten around the corner to the QB, but strong enough to hold his own at the PoA.

He is strong, athletic with a nonstop motor and high character marks. His RAS score was 9.60, putting him in the "Elite" category. His speed and explosion grades "Elite"
He can set an edge in the run game and is a speed to power QB hunter. His explosion off the snap combined with violent hands put OL on the defensive immediately. He needs to add some pass rush moves, but he is further along in development than Byron Young was last year. And stronger. My only question is can he drop into coverage?

I love the value of this pick meeting need and I think fit. We can thank all the QBs going, pushing down the defensive guys. In a normal year 6 QBs and 3 WRs in the top 10 will not happen and Verse is gone my 12 at the latest IMO.

I truly think if Verse is gone, the Rams trade out or at the least down. Did they like Robinson? Maybe. Would have they traded down and went Fiske early in the 2nd and then went edge rusher later? That's the most likely scenario, followed by trading back to the end of the 1st and grabbing a WR, then moving back up for Fiske. I like how it worked out TBH.

2.39 Braden Fiske - IDL - FSU - 6'-5" 292 lbs. - Good athlete that is a super smooth mover, big time motor and quick.

He was my 35th overall ranked prospect, my 25th ranked Rams specific prospect and my 4th overall ranked IDL (top 3 were off the board ) He was also in my other names to watch in my mock 2.0 second round.

From 2 months ago on my 1st round prospects after the combine:
Fiske is having himself an offseason, I oriiginally had him as 3rd rounder, because his play speed seemed sluggish, but he dominated the Senior Bowl and the combine and I will have him locked in as 2nd rounder, he could, in theory push himself into the back of 1st.

Really active hands
Explosive out of his stance
Agile enough to be effective in stunts
Red hot motor
Won't eat double teams, but is quick enough to split them
Bigger, longer OL can neutralize him

This was a pick I was hoping they would make after Friday night. I knew they would have to move up for him, but like I said in trade section above, with the way WRs and DTs were going, they were going to have to move up for a target, or take the best fitting CB. Adding Fiske with his relentless motor to guys like Turner, Young and Verse, and you have 4 high motor, relentless QB hunters. Its going to be a fun front 7 to watch. I think

3.83 Blake Corum - RB - Mich. - 5'-8" 205 lbs. - He will wear you down and grind out yards despite his size. Excellent contact balance and good vision. Lacks a HR gear, seemed to have a down season.

He was my 106th overall prospect on my 220 big board, my 86th prospect on my Rams specific board and my 6th rated RB.

I had heard someone comment on NFL radio (cannot remember who) that he may have played the season dinged, accounting for his down year from the previous year.

45 TDs in last 2 seasons, he has a nose for the endzone
Great contact balance
good vision
Good patience for the most part
Long speed is missing
Not the shiftiest or most elusive RB
Solid hands as a pass catcher, not a dynamic route runner
Pass blocking is a work in progress

He's more of the same with Williams, I guess if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Fans will love him the same way I said fans will love Williams when htey drafted him. He is just an angry, tough runner with a lot of dog in him. I was hoping for a HR style back for a change of pace, but he will work really well in the Rams offense. Overall, in a weak RB class, I'm happy with this pick, considering who was available.

3.99 Kamren Kinchens - SAF - Miami - 5'-11" 203 lbs. - Turnover machine, brings it when in the box. Not the rangiest SAF in the class.

He was my 85th rated prospect on my 220 big board, my 64th rated prospect on my Rams specific board and my 6th rated safety.

Excellent instincts
Ballhawk
tough and willing to do work in the box
Likes to punish ball carriers
lacks the range to play single high
Can work in man or zone, but I liked him better in zone

He was in contention for the top SAF taken in the draft with Nubin, but a sub-optimal combine really dropped him down a few pegs on the safety rung. And really, the Rams aren't that concerned with 40 times, its play speed, and he is more than athletic and fast enough to play in a split zone system, he can also play big nickel. He plays a smart brand of football and his ability to create turnovers is 2nd to none in the safety class. I was working on a 3rd mock before I ran out of time, but he was going to be my pick at the end of the 3rd round. Love this value.

5.154 Brennan Jackson - EDGE - Washington State - 6'-4" 264 lbs.

I had no ranking on him in my top 220 prospects, he was on my list but missed the cut by 10 or so names, so I had a late 6th, early 7th round rating on him.

Great power and size for the position
Really powerful - combines that with a devastating bull rush
Excellent edge setter against the run
Another red hot motor
Lacks fluid change of direction, a bit stiff in his lower half.
Needs to develop more pass rsh moves and a pass rush plan

I missed on him. Alyo nailed this kid, which is not surprising, since he is the best at this. I struggle with the guys in that upper 260 lb range to 275ish. That said, this is an interesting pick. They announced him as a LBer, so they are planning on him playing standing up on the edge, maybe he can reduce down to a 5t on passing downs. I can see a front 3 of Jackson, Fiske and Turner with Verse and Young on obvious passing downs. Thats a relentless front 5.

6.196 112. Tyler Davis - IDL - Clemson - 6'-2" 301 lbs. - Explosive NT with powerful hands and a good understanding of leverage. Pass rush needs refinement.

My 112th ranked prospect on my 220 big board, my 91st ranked prospect on my Rams specific board and my 11th rated IDL.

Nose tackle
Team captain
Non-stop motor
Grown man strong
Powerful and active hands
intelligent, understands leverage and angles
Explosive first step
Can eat up double teams
On the small side for a NT
Pass rush is lacking

He is a fun pick. Smart, leader on and off the field, productive and relentless. He will fit right in with the new Rams DL. I imagine he will rotate Brown at NT. This pick had tremendous value to match need and fit. Big fan of this pick.

6.209 Joshua Karty - K - Stanford - 6'-2" 207 lbs. - Big time range with improved accuracy year after year.

My 175th overall prospect on my big board, my 173rd ranked player on my Rams specific board and my top rated K.

Big leg (career long of 61)
Accuracy has improved year over year

My favorite kicker since the season started. Love the value, love the fit. This was one of the most important picks in the Rams draft IMO. I think htey nailed down their punter and kicker for a while, and that feels good.

6.213 Jordan Whittington - WR - Texas - 6'-1" 205 lbs. - Physical before and after the catch. Good run blocker and could be a monster on STs with the new rules. Lacks route running and HR gear.

He was my 205th rated player on my big board, my 160th player on my Rams spercific board and my 34th rated WR.

Team first guy willing to block, go over the middle, take jet sweeps
tough to tackle with the ball in his hands
Route running is a work in progress
good hands
PR/KR value
Lacks homerun speed
Works as an X or slot WR

I love this kid. I actually mocked him to us in my first mock draft at the end of the 5th round. He just has that Rams WR vibe. Tough, smart team oriented that is willing to block. Fun fact: he worked with Ricky Proehl to get ready for the draft. His teammates apparently love him. He is a hard worker. He is a beast after the catch and he adds ST value, which I hope lands him a spot on the roster. He won't take the top off a defense, but he will do everything he can to help his team win on Sundays and thats good enough for me with a round 6 pick. I hope he makes the roster.

6.217 Beaux Limmer - OC - Arkansas - 6'-5" 302 lbs. - Most of his experience is at RG, last year OC. He is an excellent run blocker that needs to improve his pass sets.

He was my 143rd rated prospect on my big board, and my 5th ranked OC. He did not make my Rams specific board (no OCs did)

Athletic OC with great length (9.80 RAS score)
A little light and could use some good weight
Has OC/OG flexibility
For all that athleticism, he isn't the smoothest mover in space
Smart, can call line calls

After years of mocking OCs to the Rams, I finally quit doing it and they draft one. If I knew that was all it took, i would have quit drafting OCs years ago. This is a depth pc that most likely ends up on the PS. He needs to get stronger/bigger and work on his pass sets. His run blocking is good. Good news is he seems like a hard worker and smart, so he has a chance to carve out a nice IOL depth piece. I thought he would work better in a zone scheme, but he has heavy feet so maybe a gap/power scheme is his ticket. I had him pegged at 143, so late 4th, early 5th, so great value at the end of round 6.

7.254 KT Leveston - OG - Kansas St. - 6'-4" 326 lbs. - OT that will probably end up as an OG. Mauler style that needs technical improvement. gap/power scheme.

He was my 169th rated prospect on my big board, my 143rd rated player on my Rams specific board, and my 17th ranked IOL.

Most of his snaps came at LT, but did have snaps at LG
He is a finisher, nasty personality
Can get a bit upright and has a tendency to lunge
A good mover, but not the smoothest
Has the length to stay at OT, but not the movement skills to survive on an island

He was one of the few OL I put on my Rams vertically stacked board because he fits what the Rams like. Positional versatility, nasty demeanor, lots of experience. He most likely lands on the PS. But I do like this pick.

Overall, this may be my favorite draft since I've been following it. Time will tell how it actually shakes out.
10 picks and they went Edge (2), IDL (2) IOL (2) SAF, K, WR and RB
I thought it would be Edge (2), IDL, SAF, K, WR, RB - with TE, ILB and CB. So I wasn't too far off, and maybe with how the board fell, thats how it went. Seemed like they had plenty of opportunity to grab a TE or CB and didn't, so I was wrong on those picks. ILB im not so sure.

As the the picks themselves, they are all team first, hard working, relentless on the field types. They all have plenty of experience as well, The Fiske/Verse paring is amazing as both should start, too bad they didn't sign FSU NT Fabian Lovett to an UDFA contract. Instead they went with a NT thats a bit undersized, but relentless and a team leader, he will fit right in. Karty was my top kicker. Corum and Whittington both bring punt and kick return experience with them as well as flawless fits inside the offense, the 2 OL add depth and developmental OL. Kinchens was a steal in the 3rd and should push for starter minutes early and Jackson is a early down edge with the ability to squeeze down to the 5t on passing downs.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deadpool's 2024 Rams Draft Review

Deadpool914April 29, 2024 05:05PM

Thanks DP!

ScRAM83April 29, 2024 05:23PM

Re: Killer Draft Wrap

leafnose50April 30, 2024 07:01PM

Blake Corum - how well does he catch?

JimYoungblood53110April 29, 2024 05:46PM

Re: Blake Corum - how well does he catch?

six2stack114April 29, 2024 05:56PM

he's improved as a pass catcher

Deadpool150April 29, 2024 06:52PM

thanks ...

JimYoungblood5389April 29, 2024 06:54PM

Love you and alyo

NewMexicoRam77April 29, 2024 06:17PM

Dead you seem really in sync this year

David Deacon65April 30, 2024 04:31AM

Pure gold, Dead…

Rams4367April 30, 2024 05:03AM

Re: Deadpool's 2024 Rams Draft Review