Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When Rams took Verse, taking Fiske became urgent priority #1

April 29, 2024 05:08AM
I have zero doubt that the minute the Rams got Verse, they were ready to do pretty much whatever it took to get Fiske, which is why they gave up next year's 2nd rounder to get him.

The reality is that Verse and Fiske formed a Batman and Robin tandem on the football field. They complemented each other so perfectly and worked in such instinctive unison that my bet is the Rams will scheme to keep them together on the same side of the field. In other words, the two together form a tandem that is greater in effect than what each do individually. It is rare that an NFL team could get fortunate enough to pull something like this off, and it is rare that in college such a tandem emerges on D. Plus, need met opportunity. The Rams NEEDED DT help.

Why do I think all this? Because both Snead and McVay talked about them both as NEEDS at their positions, and as a tandem and the absolutely devastating affect it had on O's at FSU, on more than one occasion.

Therefore, I suspect we will see an attempt to do something similar with Young and Turner to develop a chemistry. And, that the Rams will ask Young to play on the right instead of the left (from the O view) this coming season. With 2 rookies and 2 second year guys, this can happen and be useful for a few years.

And BTW: I'm a little surprised at this stuff about the Rams giving up next year's 2nd as though Fiske was merely an above average DT. He was defensive MVP at the Senior Bowl where he dominated. He blew up the Combine in pretty much every category, and was a terror in college against good competition. Isn't that the definition of a 1st round DT? In this draft several excellent D players were pushed down due to 6 QBs being taken and a bunch of WRs. But clearly the Rams thought there was no way Fiske was going to last past the 39th pick so they went up and got him. Why wasn't he picked earlier? He doesn't fit the NFL mold (neither did AD or Turner), and I imagine a lot of teams saw him and Verse more as a tandem, and figured there was no way to get them both in the draft nor would their D schemes support such a pairing.

Will the Rams have judged correctly? Tune in about halfway or so through the upcoming season to see if the trajectory is on that path.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

When Rams took Verse, taking Fiske became urgent priority #1

RockRam290April 29, 2024 05:08AM

Re: When Rams took Verse, taking Fiske became urgent priority #1

JamesHarrisFanClub88April 29, 2024 05:27AM

LaDoc78April 29, 2024 06:01AM

RamsDynasty67April 29, 2024 06:44AM

Newton doesn't fit as well in Williams' position as Fiske, IMO

JimYoungblood5350April 29, 2024 07:19AM

Thanks Blood for killing that dream