Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fair enough, but

April 17, 2024 12:58PM
are you saying no one should draft a QB in round 1?

Or only the consensus #1 QB should be drafted in the first round?

Or the top 2?

So then all the 1st round graded QBs that get pushed to the 2nd round are just 2nd round busts instead of 1st round busts. The team that drafted them in the 2nd round may or may not have hit on their 1st round pick, but they still stink because that 2nd round QB was a bust and you aren't winning squat w/o a more than capable QB.

As far as getting a QB outside the draft? There is 1 way. Free Agency. And again, when was the last time a high level QB hit the market? Cousins? He will go down in history as the highest paid QB to never win a SB due to being the definition of mediocre. Sure you can get a 1 year rental like Brady every once in a while, but odds are your SB is coming from the draft. Trading for one is pretty rare. Stafford is an exception to that rule with a very good QB on a very bad team looking to rebuild.

As far as drafting a 5th rounder every year while you currently have a quality QB to ensure you have your QB of the future is flawed. That assumes you hit on one. Not sure any team has been able to do that. GB has had Favre, drafted Rodgers in the 1st, then drafted Love in the 1st.

Where I do agree with you is that some (not all) teams get desperate for a QB and reach or convince themselves the prospect is worth the first round pick. And why is that? Because if you don't have a QB, you don't win in the NFL and if you don't win in the NFL, you aren't a GM or HC for long.

One thing that isn't talked about enough when it comes to draft busts is the team itself. From teammates to the coaching staff. Does Nakua do what he did last year on any other team? Regardless of what round they drafted him in. Since he now holds all sorts of rookie records and was a pro bowler, I'd say no.

So say the Giants drafted Nakua in the first round, and he does a 1/4th of what he did with the Rams, he goes from the steal of the draft to another 1st round bust. QBs are even tougher. Look at David Carr. Is he a bust for the Texans? His line was so bad he was beaten to a pulp before he ever got a chance to prove he belonged in the league. Look at all the QBs the Browns have drafted in hte past 20 years or so. Is it every QB they drafted or is it the Factory of Sadness itself. I's say a little of both but Cleveland proved they cannot draft a QB.

Longwinded, I wouldn't draft Nix or Penix in the 1st round, McCarthy I love but is unproven and wouldn't shock me if he became the best QB drafted or a massive bust. Daniels will depend on if he can stay healthy as a running QB and Maye I have accuracy concerns. That said, if I have a bad team and need a QB and my job depends on it, I'm taking one. Because not taking one almost guarantees I'm fired before the next draft. Rock, you have a job, you have zero skin in the game, I think your opinion would change with your ability to support your family as a GM on the line.

Either way good debate. Notice I'm not arguing the WR thing. There will be a ton of busts coming from the WRs in the class. But there are going to be some real studs. At the end of the day, I trust my gut and if the WR I like and trust is there, I'm taking him if its a need.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Here is why you don't spend 1st rounders on QBs or WRs

RockRam304April 17, 2024 05:40AM

Did they list the hit rate for other positions?

ferragamo7980April 17, 2024 06:52AM

Re: Did they list the hit rate for other positions?

Rams4370April 17, 2024 07:23AM

Not quite. Hit rate apparently depends on the position chosen

RockRam63April 17, 2024 07:33AM

I'd be interested to see what positions have a safe hit rate

Ram_Ruler51April 17, 2024 07:42AM

Re: I'd be interested to see what positions have a safe hit rate

cool_hand_luke40April 17, 2024 08:13AM

Re: I'd be interested to see what positions have a safe hit rate

Ram_Ruler44April 17, 2024 08:19AM

I meant what is hit rate other position in 1st CB LOT RB etc

ferragamo7942April 17, 2024 08:28AM

No.

RockRam54April 17, 2024 07:29AM

also curious of sample size

ferragamo7946April 17, 2024 08:34AM

makes zero sense

Rampage2K-51April 17, 2024 09:46AM

Re: Here is why you don't spend 1st rounders on QBs or WRs

kw1339April 17, 2024 10:33AM

So to be clear, you don't want to win Super Bowls?

Deadpool59April 17, 2024 11:50AM

C'mon. How many 1st round QB picks were NOT those guys?

RockRam48April 17, 2024 12:10PM

Re: C'mon. How many 1st round QB picks were NOT those guys?

Rampage2K-44April 17, 2024 12:39PM

Fair enough, but

Deadpool36April 17, 2024 12:58PM