Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: thought I'd share what I look at or am looking for when looking at draft prospects

January 18, 2024 12:28PM
What jumped out at me was how few of those characteristics show up in a player's Relative Athletic Score. I read a number of articles a while ago describing how the Rams were trying to draft players who's physical characteristics (height, weight, etc.) and abilities (40 time, shuttle drill, long jump, etc.) lined up with the best of the best at their position over the last 30 or 40 years.

Here's an article describing how that strategy failed in 2021 with the likes of Rochelle (9.65 RAS), Harris (9.28), and Funk (9.76) [ramblinfan.com]

The Rams seem to have transitioned to more of your way of thinking recently, drafting guys like Williams (3.47), Yeast (5.74), Nacua (5.17), and Turner (7.1) - guys who don't necessarily pass the RAS test, but pass the more important test of "can they play football". That is good to see, and validates your approach to a great extent.

To be sure they still draft some high RAS guys (Allen (8.58), Young (9.22), Avila (8.5), and a host of other who still have an incomplete grade), it just seems like it's a tool in the belt now and not the guiding light.

AlbaNY_Ram
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

thought I'd share what I look at or am looking for when looking at draft prospects

Deadpool296January 18, 2024 10:26AM

Love the list

Ram_Ruler73January 18, 2024 11:18AM

Re: thought I'd share what I look at or am looking for when looking at draft prospects

AlbaNY_Ram71January 18, 2024 12:28PM

since6856February 06, 2024 10:04AM