Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

That is an oversimplified take 43

October 18, 2023 08:05AM
Rams43
Evidence of superb run blocking by OL.

If this OL can continue that excellence vs Steelers then I don’t think it will much matter which Ram RB is carrying the rock.

The OL certainly deserves credit for staying on their blocks and creating some space but Williams made a big difference too with his combination of patience and aggressive finishing. So I think to say it won't matter which RB is carrying the ball is a bit much. The RB certainly matters.

There is a level of production that you need from the RB position at a minimum. And then on top of that level of production there are other elements that matter like resiliency running into a front at this level without your effort flagging, which was what hinders guys like Henderson. Or being able to avoid injury and simply be a player the team can count on for even a full game which has been a consistent and repeating issue with the RBs that McVay and Snead have selected.

So in counter to your point I'd say I am hopeful Evans can finish this next game and give us good production, both of which are in question. And from there can he string together a few games if necessary or will he immediately fall out like so many McVay/Snead backs have. Truth is Williams looks like the first player outside of Akers who can actually take over a game. And Akers was a moody and unpredictable guy, whereas Williams is a team-first type with a relentlessly positive outlook.

Lastly in discussion of RB by committee the rationale for it is that you can find RBs anywhere in the draft. But that has not been true for Snead and McVay. So it's accurate to say they should avoid paying any RB, and that is something I agree with. In all that, however, there is a discussion that they need to do a better job evaluating and drafting these guys. And there should be a more power element for grounding the offense that has less explosive threat but maybe more reliability in being available as a backup/depth option.

As things stand right now the Steelers, Cowboys, and Packers in successive weeks is gonna suck without a good ground game threat. If we play those three games without backfield threat we're probably looking at 2 losses over the three games, and it is possible we lose all 3 because all those teams are much stronger if all they have to do is pin their ears back on defense.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Random Ramsdom: Do running backs matter to the Los Angeles Rams?

BerendsenRam91October 18, 2023 07:45AM

KW was frequently 5-6 yards deep into secondary before he was even touched in that 2nd half…

Rams4342October 18, 2023 07:50AM

It was an Awesome Sight To See & a Long Time Coming !

BerendsenRam30October 18, 2023 07:52AM

That is an oversimplified take 43

merlin57October 18, 2023 08:05AM

Re: That is an oversimplified take 43

Rams4337October 18, 2023 08:12AM

Re: That is an oversimplified take 43

merlin39October 18, 2023 08:16AM

Re: Random Ramsdom: Do running backs matter to the Los Angeles Rams?

mtramfan31October 18, 2023 07:57AM