Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

thoughts through preseason game 2

August 21, 2023 04:30AM
Recorded the game and didn't think I'd actually end up watching the whole thing but did. General State of the Rams thoughts to this point:

QB- Bennett is getting the work he needs. Being very much up and down which should surprise no one. May be better than a handful of QB2s around the league already but obviously if he has to take any meaningful 2023 snaps for the Rams they're in major trouble. 4th round pick. Developmental QB2. Let him develop.

RB- Have to say Rivers has been fairly impressive and right now I'd keep him over Freeman. Evans seems to take what the OL gives him (or not). Williams not playing says a lot about what they think of him.

WR- a better and deeper group than I anticipated. If Skowronek ends up the WR5 that says a lot. Still think Robinson and Johnson are competing for one spot. And I think two WR end up on the PS.

TE- Davis was impressive for a kid playing his first game and after just a handful of practices. If true that Hopkins has played well in camp and that (as Jourdan has said) Higbee has had his best training camp she's seen then they might be in a good place. Wonder what happens with Long....

OL- The more I see Jackson and Avila together on the left side the more I like. Noteboom is not going to start at RG after practicing there for what, 4 practices? My guess/hope is the Rams staff has met and knows who the starting center is and so they know the starting 5. I think Noteboom, Allen (assuming he isn't starting) and McClendon are the top 3 backups. McClendon has held his own to this point. Bruss has looked bad but still don't think they move him. But can Thomas and/or Arcuri clear waivers to make the PS. I would still lean toward keeping 10 OL and just 3 TE.

DL- some things to like and things will be somewhat different when Donald is in the game and getting constant double teams. Brown III makes some noise but Whitworth's comments about his inconsistent motor are concerning. Copeland and Williams are decent depth guys. I think Turner and Johnson are both going to grow into solid rotation guys. They actually have some tough decisions to make here.

ILB- nice to get some positive reports about Rozeboom and see Hummel make a few plays but in the end they still don't have a starting ILB on the roster besides Jones. One of the others should make the PS.

Edge- my biggest concern still. I like how they're pushing Young. He, Hoecht, Thomas and Hardy are probably the top 4 guys? Hampton doesn't seem ready to contribute. VanValkenberg won't go away though. Kid plays hard. They'd be smart to keep an eye on the waiver wire after final cuts. Take advantage of their high current waiver claim position.

DB- Grouping these guys together. A logjam at safety which again is a good problem to have. I hope they are smart and keep both Fuller and Johnson. They need the veteran presence and depth. Yeast coming along and Lake can contribute. So can they keep both Taylor and Ingle? Which could make it onto the PS. Torrence too? At CB it's clearly Durant, Witherspoon and Tomlinson. The rookie has held his own and looks like he belongs- best thing you can say about any rookie in late August. Skeptical/unsure about Kendrick, Rochell and anyone beyond them. Wouldn't rule out a waiver wire pickup after final cuts here either.

ST- Evans can boom it. Needs to get better at placement but that will come. Not sure about Brown but he's been OK.

I read somewhere that a successful camp for the Rams would be (1) health and (2) having difficult final cut down decisions to make. With one week to go they seem to have both. And almost all of their draft picks seem to have done OK (or better) so far. Hard to complain much.

Lots of work still to do. And that will be the case all year. Biggest worries are run defense and pass rush (front 7). But again how different do those things look once Donald and Jones are playing? We'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2023 04:30AM by LMU93.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

thoughts through preseason game 2

LMU93326August 21, 2023 04:30AM

nice summary

21Dog75August 21, 2023 04:57AM

Re: Ronnie Rivers

den-the-coach115August 21, 2023 05:15AM

Outstanding write up, 93, and I agree with most all of it…

Rams4381August 21, 2023 05:49AM

the DL

LMU9343August 21, 2023 06:26AM

That's a good way to put it 93

Ramsdude54August 21, 2023 06:36AM

Re: the DL

Rams4339August 21, 2023 06:36AM

Terrific Summary

Rambone55August 21, 2023 05:56AM

Mostly agree, a couple of thoughts

RockRam76August 21, 2023 06:25AM

Noteboom