Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ernest Jones: Tutu Atwell has 'really taken the next step'

June 05, 2023 12:55PM
"It seemed like last year would be Atwell’s time to break out, especially after Van Jefferson began the year on injured reserve."

Have not been a fan of the Atwell pick, but to be fair, the QBs throwing to him last year, and the offensive line protecting them, didn't exactly give Tutu much of an opportunity to break out.

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Ernest Jones: Tutu Atwell has 'really taken the next step'

Is this the year Tutu Atwell finally breaks out for the Los Angeles Rams? He’s entering his third NFL season after being a second-round pick in 2021, catching only 18 passes in 21 games played thus far.

It seemed like last year would be Atwell’s time to break out, especially after Van Jefferson began the year on injured reserve. And while he showed signs of improvement, he still wasn’t a consistent factor on offense.

Now with Allen Robinson gone, Atwell once again has a clear path to playing time. Ernest Jones, for one, has seen progress from the third-year receiver and is impressed with the way he’s played in OTAs this spring.

“The matchups that the DBs get against Tutu,” Jones said when asked about the best matchups he’s seen this spring. “The O-line’s really communicating well, but that matchup with Tutu – Tutu’s really taken the next step. I’m super impressed with the way he’s attacking the ball right now. His ability is showing right now and he has some great ability.”

We heard a lot of good things about Atwell last offseason, too, only for him to finish the year with just 18 catches. He really didn’t get much playing time until Robinson and Cooper Kupp went down with injuries, essentially forcing Atwell into a more prominent role. Prior to Week 12, Atwell hadn’t played more than nine snaps in a single game.

The Rams could use a No. 3 receiver this season to start alongside Kupp and Jefferson, which is great news for Atwell. But he’ll need to beat out Ben Skowronek, Puka Nacua and now Tyler Johnson, among others.

As encouraging as Jones’ analysis is, Atwell still has a lot to prove in Year 3.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ernest Jones: Tutu Atwell has 'really taken the next step'

BerendsenRam335June 05, 2023 11:01AM

JYB155June 05, 2023 12:55PM

BerendsenRam95June 05, 2023 01:58PM

I'd swear "they" said that same exact thing last season..

sstrams122June 05, 2023 02:39PM

Yeah gotta wait and see

merlin77June 05, 2023 03:16PM

Re: Yeah gotta wait and see

David Deacon119June 06, 2023 02:51AM

Re: I'd swear "they" said that same exact thing last season..

den-the-coach63June 06, 2023 03:12AM

Old Goat61June 06, 2023 03:15AM

Ridgewood Ram58June 06, 2023 04:48AM

He did take a big step last year

Ram_Ruler52June 06, 2023 05:37AM

Classicalwit55June 06, 2023 10:34AM