Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pretty much the same for my on most of those points except

May 01, 2023 07:37AM
I was excited when they took an IOL first. I'd been mocking one a lot on draft tools but never thought it would happen.
They got the first one off the board--tackles had been taken but they got a big dude, smart dude.

All the rest of the points I pretty much share-Turner looked like a reach, but Rams see something in him draftniks didn't.
We will see if Rams got it right. With a defensive linemen you can tell early what they've got. Working in as part of a rotation
you get to see them play. If he does not make the field, then I lose faith that they will evr be good enough to be a good starter
down the road. If they have something they pop in preseason, IMO

LMU93
Just personal opinions on how this Draft played out and the path ahead...

Overall, I give Snead, McVay and the scouting department credit. To me the initial judging of a Draft can really only come from estimating value picks vs. reaches. And overall I think the Rams mostly drafted value. It was more of a common sense, "safe" Draft than they've had in a while, seemed to have more logic (and maybe humility?) to it than in some past years. There could be no WTF picks with their top few selections and they needed most of their day 3 picks to be guys that were largely anticipated to go earlier. They did that. And I think they largely drafted very good athletes with high motors and good work ethics. That counts for a lot.

As Jourdan has said, in recent years when the roster was more loaded they were more willing to be bold (and a little arrogant?), taking fliers on guys and even drafting some mid-round picks purely for special teams, etc. And they realized they couldn't do that this year. I give Snead credit for seeming to get just how much the roster needed. All along I had wanted them to end up with fewer and higher (top 150-160) picks vs. quantity. And really, they were able to end up doing both. 7 in the top 175 and 14 selections overall.

Of course, no matter what not all these guys will work out. But most have the ability and experience to at least provide depth. More will contribute as rookies than usual. And in the longer term it will benefit the team as they 'bridge' this year to 2024 when they have all their draft capital back and a decent amount of cap space.

Thoughts on some specific picks and positions:

- I didn't look at Avila at all because I just never thought they'd take an OG like him at 36. I'm so pleasantly surprised. He is a day one starter at LG and, as others have written, might settle in there for 10 years. Exactly the type of attitude OL the team needs. Would fit really well in my opinion in between Jackson at LT and Shelton at C. He's the type of pick that will have a positive cascade effect on the OL as a whole.

- Young at 77 is the type of guy that can come in and play situationally from day one while he learns the larger game and can grow into more of an every-down role in 2024. No matter who they drafted on the edge- even if they'd taken one at 36 (which was what I expected), they are riding at least somewhat on the development of guys like Hoecht, Hardy and Keir Thomas. For them to get better QB pressure this year at least 2 of those 3 guys have to take notable steps forward. It's a big question mark entering camp.

- I know nothing about the Wake Forest DT, Turner, other than thinking he could maybe be used to spell Donald 10 snaps/game and help them based on pure motor and effort while he learns the position. Maybe their biggest reach pick? And maybe never more than a rotational DL. But you need those guys too. I really thought TE Tucker Kraft was going to be the pick there (who went the very next selection to Green Bay...). Or the CB Ringo.

- Like others, I was really disappointed when they took Bennett at QB, both for the value itself and given who else was on the board. But once all those other QBs came off the board it became pretty clear that the idea of waiting on a QB until the 6th round just would not have been feasible. Maybe it was group-think and just one of those runs on a position, but the Rams were one of 6 teams to take QBs between 17 and 160 overall and all six were guys thought to go later. I remain skeptical Bennett can be the QB2 this year. But that seems like their plan. His average arm strength doesn't matter at all to me. he's played on the biggest stages against top-level competition. If his poise, decision making and accuracy are good then his arm strength is just fine. Hopefully he's mature and a good teammate. Seems like that's a bit murky?

- If they reached on Turner I thought Hampton helped make up for it by being a pretty good value selection. So was the TE Davis who I think joins Hunter Long as their TE2 and TE3 and ends up with Hopkins cut (saving them $1M) in late August.

- Taylor was probably my favorite day 3 value pick of theirs. The Rams seem to feel good about Fuller this year and with Yeast and Lake joining him it can allow Fuller to develop as a rookie and maybe take a bigger role in 2024.

- Hodges-Tomlinson and Evans are intriguing. Each could carve out a year one role for themselves. Or not. Given the CB situation I think there is more than a few people crossing fingers that Tomlinson can. Being related to an all-time great NFL player like LT can only help as far as knowing how to prepare and work.

- I know nothing about the punter other than thinking it was a good spot to take one and I'm sure they did diligence on a lot of them. If you're going to draft a Division II guy punter is a good place to do it. He was also PFF's top-rated punter.

- I know nothing about Nacua either but it seems like his only real issue is health. If he can stay healthy, great, he could grow into a depth role. He's athletic and competitive and competing for a WR6 spot this year. Maybe he can learn some things from Kupp. Mathis and Johnson weren't inspiring picks but we'll see.

Looking ahead, I think my biggest 2023 concerns are at Edge rusher and CB. They really have to hope a surprise emerges at each spot very early on or the defense will have some growing pains. A healthy Fuller would really help the secondary. And I actually think the DL depth is pretty good. I'm also skeptical they have anyone capable of playing next to Jones at ILB on the roster.

I like what they come into 2023 with at RB, WR and TE. And the Avila addition is again a real positive for an OL that needed both talent and attitude infused in a hurry. They need a strong running game and Avila can obviously help there for day one. Adding him also likely allows Noteboom some breathing room in his recovery. If someone wins the RG spot (not just by default) between Bruss and Anchrum I think things are looking steadier there overall.

Looks like Bennett will likely take 80% of the snaps in preseason which, if he's going to enter the season as QB2, is a must. Let's hope he takes advantage of the opportunity.

This Draft helped them- both for 2023 and beyond. I have no doubts there. Enough to make a playoff run this year? Tough to say but the NFC is not nearly as daunting as the AFC. Seattle did seem to solidify their status as NFC West favorites though.

They're thinner and more questionable at some spots than others. The kicker and punter spots are still very much TBD which isn't great. But in the end if Stafford, Kupp and Donald are healthy and the OL overall is healthier they can make things happen while the very young team around them develops. And they will enter 2024 with more than adequate salary cap room/flexibility and all their Draft ammo.

By the way, Arizona could very well end up with two of the top five picks in 2024 (and 3 of the top 37).
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

draft musings, current state, concerns, look ahead

LMU93727May 01, 2023 07:30AM

Pretty much the same for my on most of those points except

JimYoungblood53184May 01, 2023 07:37AM

Outstanding post, 93…

Rams43188May 01, 2023 07:43AM

Sign a NT and I'll feel pretty good about this defensive front

merlin112May 01, 2023 09:20AM

Re: Sign a NT and I'll feel pretty good about this defensive front

3030154May 01, 2023 09:29AM

If the Rams sign one FA vet, NT should be it.

NewMexicoRam173May 01, 2023 09:40AM

veteran FAs

LMU93143May 01, 2023 09:59AM

Re: veteran FAs

303073May 01, 2023 10:29AM

Re: veteran FAs

LMU9377May 01, 2023 10:38AM

What are cap savings if they offload Allen?

Rams4386May 01, 2023 10:41AM

nothing

LMU93101May 01, 2023 12:28PM

Good interesting write up, LMU

NewMexicoRam75May 01, 2023 09:38AM

Still a gaping hole at CB2

Ram4life108May 01, 2023 11:22AM

Re: Still a gaping hole at CB2

Rampage2K-128May 01, 2023 12:18PM

To get more cap space

NewMexicoRam94May 01, 2023 01:43PM

Good point

Ram4life70May 01, 2023 01:56PM

Re: To get more cap space

LMU9381May 01, 2023 04:37PM

Good points LMU

NewMexicoRam49May 02, 2023 06:48AM

If we had to play tomorrow

merlin147May 01, 2023 12:33PM

Re: Even without playing tomorrow this CB has got to

leafnose53May 02, 2023 09:25AM

Re: Even without playing tomorrow this CB has got to

merlin47May 02, 2023 10:24AM

Rochelle is a former WR from Central Arkansas= developmental project

Rams Junkie58May 02, 2023 11:43AM

Great Write up

David Deacon64May 01, 2023 11:34AM

agree with what you say especially CB

ferragamo79116May 01, 2023 11:47AM

Re: agree with what you say especially CB

LMU9378May 01, 2023 12:26PM

good thing they traded down for that 4th round pick....

Rampage2K-113May 01, 2023 12:14PM

Re: draft musings, current state, concerns, look ahead

Old Goat76May 01, 2023 02:09PM

Re: draft musings, current state, concerns, look ahead

Coy Bacon63May 01, 2023 02:46PM

I agree with everything you said

Deadpool108May 01, 2023 06:59PM

Re: solid, and very nice with coffee, too

leafnose55May 02, 2023 09:59AM