Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Still Confused Over The Whole "Build The Offense Back Up" Thing

March 19, 2023 04:50PM
Below are some comments from AlbaNY_Ram:

McVay is a student of the offensive side of the ball. Some would call him an offensive genius, noting that the Rams were last in scoring in the NFL in 2016 and then lead the league in scoring in 2017, McVay's first year as HC.

Last they were 27th.

McVay want's to get back to (or at least near) the top of the list again. To do so he has to shift a lot of spending from the defensive side of the ball to the offensive side of the ball.

Now, I've highlighted AlbaNY's comments not to single him out - but because I believe they succinctly identify what the alleged off-season plan is.

But if this is the case, then I'm: A) confused about what's been going on the past couple of years; and, B ) McSnead's ability to pull this plan off (absent the real goal of targeting a top pick in the 2024 draft).

Here's my confusion...

Over the past three drafts, the Rams have spent their 1st pick on offensive players (two of which were skill players).

This past off-season, they extended QB Matthew Stafford, WR Cooper Kupp, LT Joe Noteboom, and C Brian Allen. They also offered a significant FA contract to WR Allen Robinson.

Obviously, injuries to the OL derailed the 2022 season in its infancy. But assuming full health to that unit, what was McSnead's expectations of that offense given the resources already devoted to it (and, of course, it being coached by an offensive "genius?" ). Top-20? Top-15? Top-10? Top-5?

Outside of Higbee (who, I guess, is still subject to being cut), it appears as though the Ram offense (at least in terms of personnel) will largely look the same as last season. Which is fine because McSnead anticipated a Top-__ offense last season, right?

So what, exactly, is being "built up" offensively? And given the personnel decisions that have been made over the past couple of seasons, is there any reason to believe that McSnead is going to get things right without a first round pick or significant FA $'s in 2023?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2023 04:52PM by ramBRO.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Still Confused Over The Whole "Build The Offense Back Up" Thing

ramBRO267March 19, 2023 04:50PM

Re: Still Confused Over The Whole "Build The Offense Back Up" Thing

GroundPounder122March 19, 2023 05:02PM

Fair points

JimYoungblood53178March 19, 2023 05:08PM

Re: Fair points

ramBRO114March 19, 2023 06:20PM

Yes, offense looks the same. Even the OL

Ram4life159March 19, 2023 06:06PM

Re: Still Confused Over The Whole "Build The Offense Back Up" Thing