Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

49ers crybaby tour shows no sign of stopping!

February 10, 2023 01:16PM
[www.sfgate.com]

All season, the San Francisco 49ers crowed about the fact that teams never won a game the week after playing them. "It is a record we're aware of and it's one we think is pretty cool,” Kyle Shanahan said. The (well-earned) implication was that the 49ers were the most violent team in the league, that opponents were hobbled after the Niners beat the crap out of them. But when another team beats the crap out of the Niners? Well, that's just cheating.

It's been two weeks since the Eagles' pass rush decleated the remainder of the San Francisco quarterback room, and pretty much every day of those two weeks, another sore loser quote has come out from a Niners player or coach.

Perhaps the weakest batch dropped Thursday. Appearing on "The 33rd Team," kicker Robbie Gould was the latest Niners player to say that the Chiefs would have an easy time with the Eagles on Sunday.

"If you make Jalen Hurts play quarterback, you’re probably going to have a pretty solid day on defense,” Gould said.

It's hard to say which is the most embarrassing part of this: that a 40-year-old man is wearing a Barstool Sports hat, or that a player from a Kyle Shanahan team is complaining that someone else has QB-proofed their offense. And what position does Hurts play, anyway?

Deebo Samuel added some wishcasting on radio row. "Our defense was doing what they were supposed to and I feel like if Brock was in at quarterback and how our offense moves, I don't think it would have been close if that makes sense," Samuel said. "... It's not sour grapes at all, it's just what I see every day. ... I'm not salty at all, I just speak facts."

Whenever you have to mix in two food metaphors to make the point that actually, you're not mad, it's best to just clean out the fridge.

One tip that the Niners have been on for some reason is that they were screwed by the NFL rules. From 1991 to 2010, the NFL let teams dress an emergency quarterback who could only enter a game if the first two QBs got hurt, like what happened to the Niners in Philly. For the last decade-plus, the league has instead given teams a 46th roster spot to use on game days. Teams can use that spot on whatever they choose, including a quarterback. But the Niners have acted like that was not an option available to them.

"I definitely would be in favor of it,” Shanahan said last week of bringing back the emergency QB, while John Lynch said it would be "good for football."

Christian McCaffrey was confused about the rule earlier this week, thinking it banned teams from carrying a third QB. "It feels like something got stolen from you," McCaffrey said on the "Up & Adams" show on Wednesday. "... Hopefully they change that rule where you can carry a third quarterback."

This is somehow only a tiny and recent sampling of Niners players saying they were robbed and the Eagles were lucky frauds. The "Forty Whiners" nickname has been more than earned.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

49ers crybaby tour shows no sign of stopping!

Crazylegs464February 10, 2023 01:16PM

Re: 49ers crybaby tour shows no sign of stopping!

Ekern55158February 10, 2023 01:55PM

Old Goat146February 10, 2023 02:59PM

Ramsdude149February 10, 2023 03:16PM

Another butt-hurt 49er…

Rams43155February 10, 2023 03:48PM

lament of another loser......

21Dog117February 11, 2023 02:52PM

Re: lament of another loser......

CarolinaRam138February 11, 2023 03:23PM

Re: lament of another loser......

BerendsenRam136February 11, 2023 06:38PM

Classicalwit132February 11, 2023 08:07PM

Ramstien83February 12, 2023 03:15AM

Maybe they can play some Blues music on their giant red Boom Box to feel better?

Ramgator76February 12, 2023 03:20AM

The lack of "attention" this gets is amazing to me.

Ramsdude183February 12, 2023 03:43AM