Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The whole minority coaching search requirment is a mess...

January 15, 2023 03:37PM
I know somehow I'm going to be looked at as a racist by some here on this board, but this post is really quite the opposite...
The idea that teams are now more heavily compensated for losing a minority coach than they would be for losing a non-minority coach may make letting a minority move more attractive. Additionally, because of the Rooney Rule, you end up with minority coaches being interviewed for head coaching jobs, even when they aren't seriously being considered for the job, because the NFL say you have to do it. This has actually lead to lawsuits in recent years.
This leaves some teams wondering year after year if they are going to lose a specific coach simply because the minority interview requirements make it that way. Moreover, if you happen to be a minority interviewing for a job, don't you have to wonder if you are being interviewed simply to get that requirement out of the way.
In the end, the idea that the NFL should have an equal percentage of head coaches to players is just nuts. The NFL is a business of winning, NOW! Teams WILL hire the best candidates for the position regardless of race if they want to be a successful franchise.
Personally, I done care if the Rams coaching staff if made up of orange, purple or maroon people as long as they are hiring the staff that gives them the best chance to win. But when the corporate office starts telling you that must interview minorities, regardless of whether or not you think a minority is the best person for the job, it all becomes a big joke and really sets the whole concept evern further back.
A perfect example is Raheem Morris. Personally, I can take or leave him. I'm not a fan of the soft coverage he prefers for the defensive backs. But, I think the team could certainly do worse than having a guy that has a solid bend-but-don't-break defense and seems to be loved by his players. However, as soon as I start seeing posts about how the Rams could get extra draft picks, because he's a minority, if he were to move on to a HC position elsewhere, it sours me on the whole minority hiring situation. Why is a minority (let's be honest we are really saying "black"winking smiley DC getting hired by another team worth more draft compensation than a majority (still being honest, "white"winking smiley DC taking the same position.
The next step is saying that if you draft a minority with your fist overall pick, then you get an extra 3rd round pick. Or maybe, if you draft a minority QB, you get an extra 2nd round pick.
Let's leave race out of the NFL. How about we just let teams add the staff and players that they want to add without any of the extra crud? The best coaches and best players should want to be hired based upon their merrit, not the color of their skin, where they were born, how they identify sexually, or their religion.
Just like I don't care to hear about a football player's politics, I don't care about the other stuff as long as they are getting it done on the field or as a coach.
Let's just play NFL football!!!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The whole minority coaching search requirment is a mess...

PSJRam423January 15, 2023 03:37PM

Re: The whole minority coaching search requirment is a mess...

Classicalwit105January 15, 2023 03:43PM

Classicalwit174January 15, 2023 03:47PM

Ramstien176January 15, 2023 04:18PM

You Sir...Are A Racist!!!

ramBRO327January 15, 2023 04:51PM

Minority vs Majority is flawed

BumRap194January 16, 2023 07:11AM

Ramboni91January 16, 2023 11:08AM