Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gotta bring the topic up again... musical instruments...

February 04, 2020 10:03AM
and "which" is the hardest to play. I will always believe it's keyboards. And I'm going to provide a youtube to support my position, at the bottom of this post.

Now this is debatable and I'd be the last person on earth to deny that. Frankly, at the very highest level of accomplishment every single instrument ever invented is 'hard' to play, including the Triangle. (Said somewhat tongue in cheek). But basically that's true.... Saxophone, Trombone, Flute, Oboe, Harp... you name it... they are HARD to learn to play, difficult to play.

I know the favorite here (we've discussed this before), the Guitar. I'm not sure where I would place the guitar, exactly... but I think top 5 probably - because to me it does require an extremely high degree of dexterity. Most of the 'experts' will say the Violin... and I have no argument with that choice BUT... I don't think it's any more difficult than a guitar and in truth 'not quite as difficult'... IMHO of course. My #2 would probably be the "Harp". Not a very popular instrument. laughing smiley

But when I just sit and ponder the skill required to play a harp... finger placement, dexterity, etc... to me it 'seems' so incredibly difficult that personally I would never make the attempt.

Those 2 and then the guitar, violin, most string instruments, very closely grouped together following my top two.

I played the trumpet... from 4th grade thru college... can't play it today, well, I can but very poorly and my lips turn to jello after 20 seconds. I currently play the drums... so where on this list would I place the drums... with one caveat, which I'll get to in the next paragraph... I place the drums very low on the 'difficult to play scale'. That's not being 'humble'... I really believe the drums are one of the easiest musical instruments to learn to play "at a less that perfect but passable level"... which applies to most instruments, make that all instruments.

The caveat - The best drummers... and in fact the best ANY musical instrument artist... play at level that I wouldn't just call 'difficult', (not a strong enough word)... but in truth they play at a level that only people born with a 'gift' are able to achieve.. IOW... most people, the vast majority, no matter how much they practice simply will NEVER get to the highest echelon. Can't be done... if you disagree love for you to state your case... and NO, not to argue... I'm just interested.

Not if I lived to be 50,000 years old could I ever do this: Short of some restructured DNA procedure being performed on me.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Gotta bring the topic up again... musical instruments...

JamesJM235February 04, 2020 10:03AM

Well...

sstrams127February 04, 2020 10:21AM

Yeah, the guitar vs violin thing...

JamesJM111February 04, 2020 10:44AM

Some guitarists have.....

sstrams128February 04, 2020 11:28AM

No idea but....

SeattleRam125February 04, 2020 12:12PM

Did he actually play them?

sstrams107February 04, 2020 01:42PM

Re: Did he actually play them?