Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally got around to watching Silent Night In Algona

March 26, 2024 02:34PM
We watched a couple movies over the weekend

smaller , more independent films , both based on true stories

the first one....

The Shamrock Spitfire , a British film about Brendan "Paddy" Finucane , a young Irish lad , who went on to become one of Great Britain greatest Fighter Aces of WWII

Great story , but the movie , not so much , for a WWII fighter pilot movie , it was pretty dull , I had a hard time sitting through it , dull character , bad CGI , but again , this was just a small in independent film , but sadly , I can't really recommend it

5/10

View:

and the second movie , again , based on a true events , kinda sorta , I think the main plot is fictional , but the other events are true

the reason this one interested me is so much is that it took place about 50 miles from where I live

back during WWII , they set up German Prisoner of war camps here in the Midwest , Iowa , Minnesota , Wisconsin , Nebraska

and so , while so many of our young men were off fighting the war , they used these German Prisoner to help with the labor shortage , on farms , meat packing plants , etc

so this movie

Silent Night in Algona

Algona is the town about 50 miles from where I live , and while the German solders were held Camp Algona , they constructed a 1/2 scale Christmas Nativity Scene , which is still there today

over 10,000 German prisoners from April 1944 to February 1946 , were held at these different prison camps here in the midwest

again , this was a small independent based out of Minneapolis I believe , although , part of the main story was fictional , the rest is all true

I felt this movie was much better then The Shamrock Spitfire

7.5/10

View:

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Finally got around to watching Silent Night In Algona

IowaRam51March 26, 2024 02:34PM

I couldn't make it through the preview..

sstrams27March 26, 2024 02:57PM

It needs Michael Bay to Direct!!

Ramgator22March 26, 2024 03:45PM

My Dad grew up less than a quarter mile from Myrtle Beach Air Force Base.

Ramgator24March 26, 2024 03:40PM