Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Zealand's "underground caves"

March 21, 2024 10:40AM
years ago we were visiting a family on South Island and were told about a place where there were underground caves that go on for miles. Not diving but you rented a wet suit that someone on a ride before you had worn-ugg! You squirmed through on the service which really was tine and hard to get through, Then you had to jump about 10 ft into a pool of water. Their you were given an innertube and told to hold onto the tube in front of you that had other people in the group. You then did another jump -this time about 15 ft into a slow moving stream and began your ride in the dark cave. The only light was from glow worms all along the cave's walls. There were several stops and jumps along the way as we got deeper and deeper into this cave. About 45 min later we saw some light at the end as we were going down stream Finally, we emerged and were guided over to a dock side and got in a van that drove us back up to our cars.

Before ever beginning the venture I had no idea how dark it would be so my underwater camera with no light was useless.

My wife says she would never do it again. I can't blame her because when the guide would say "jump" you were jumping in darkness with only the sound of the rushing stream below. I have no idea how many miles we travelled downstream but it seemed like forever.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

We watched "13 Lives" again last night. What a GREAT movie!

Ramgator55March 20, 2024 01:25PM

There were things I didn't know about..

sstrams21March 20, 2024 03:08PM

Cave Diving! COUNT ME OUT! I think we talked about this a few years ago..

Ramgator25March 20, 2024 04:04PM

Definitely.. Caves can go for miles.,

sstrams31March 21, 2024 06:05AM

New Zealand's "underground caves"

waterfield33March 21, 2024 10:40AM

You're an idiot....

JamesJM34March 21, 2024 10:57AM

Re: You're an idiot....

waterfield26March 21, 2024 02:31PM

I'm not Claustrophobic BUT.....In my years of Firefighter Training...

Ramgator25March 21, 2024 11:32AM