Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My review of Denver, Colorado....

January 03, 2024 11:14AM
It's a big city. laughing smiley

Loved talking to all my Uber drivers. I found it fascinating, and a bit troubling, that when you order an Uber you can request "no conversation". Wow. Talking to my drivers was one of the best parts of my trip. laughing smiley One was from Sudan, another from Nigeria.... actually out of maybe 7 or 8 Uber rides only one driver was originally from Denver - or rather just out of Denver - and she was GREAT. A grandma who lived in a trailer on the back section of her son's 1 acre lot.... who spent NYE babysitting her grandchildren and making them NYE family tradition treats. Yes, I learned a lot about her.... she loved to talk... and I loved listening. laughing smiley

My airport tale... Yesterday we arrived at the Denver Airport early for our flight home.... too early! laughing smiley We had a lot of time to kill. My family roamed the airport testing out the various foods available but I just found a comfy seat at our gate and kicked back. Next to me was a gentleman, I'd say mid-30's... alone. Just as I was thinking I might close my eyes for a short siesta I felt a tap on my shoulder.... the gentleman next to me! He couldn't speak English.. NONE. And I couldn't understand a word he was saying. My priest here in my home town is Nigerian and his language sounded a bit like my priests native language. BUT, as I said, we couldn't speak to each other at all.

He was handing me his boarding pass. We had to resort to hand signals to converse.... I deduced that he was worried about whether or not he was at the right gate. And he was quite worried.... I swear, he had a tear in his eye. He was lost... and scared.

I looked at his boarding pass and someone had written in the Gate Number, it was not printed, so I figured I should check it out. I signaled for him to follow me and we went and confirmed he was indeed at the right gate. Heading back to our seats he was talking a mile a minute but nope.... I couldn't understand anything he said.... but I'm pretty sure he was thanking me for the help.

We passed an ice cream place so using hand signals, and no small amount of body language, I asked him if he'd care for an ice cream cone... my treat. It took him a while to catch on. I got Coconut and he got a "mint chip"... so I can't speak highly of his choice in ice cream. Hopefully he'll learn better in Detroit, (his destination). laughing smiley

So we sat and waited for him to get called to board... eating our ice cream.... no hand signals necessary.

They began calling out groups to board. My friend was group 4.... and as they called out the groups... "Group One can now Board" he questioned me, with hand signals of course, "My turn?..... I hand signaled back, "nope, not yet".

So group 1 boards, then group 2, then group 3, each time he's asking me, "My turn?".... and finally group 4 is called and I signaled "You're up". He rose, picked up his carry on.... and THEN.....

hugged me. Grabbed my hands with both his hands... the handshake was so strenuous I swear my teeth were rattling. All the while he was saying..... something. laughing smiley I'm sure it was a thanks... but it sure sounded a lot more appreciative than a mere "Thanks". laughing smiley

Just before heading into the tunnel to get on the plane he turned, one last time, and waved to me. And that was that. He was off to Detroit.

I'll never see the guy again.... no idea what he was doing in the USA.... but whatever his purpose I hope he does well. The world needs people like that guy. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My review of Denver, Colorado....

JamesJM108January 03, 2024 11:14AM

He's undoubtedly saying the same thing about you..

sstrams31January 03, 2024 12:19PM

Re: My review of Denver, Colorado....

MamaRAMa57January 03, 2024 12:36PM

Whoa.. thanks, Mama...

JamesJM33January 03, 2024 04:01PM

Right on the money Mama

LesBaker36January 05, 2024 07:50AM

When country hicks hit Denver..... Attachments

JamesJM33January 03, 2024 04:27PM

And another photo... you may know this guy.... Attachments

JamesJM31January 03, 2024 04:35PM

quite the good samaritan