Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I broke 90..... at Dinuba..

August 28, 2023 07:12PM
My road back into playing golf has been rocky to say the least. I didn't think I was ever going to break 90 again.... but today I did it... not by much. An 89.... which, I know, sounds really bad BUT... if you knew how badly I've been playing you'd be impressed. PLUS...

Did it on a course I had never played before.... Ridge Creek in Dinuba, Ca. Took my grandson who had never played it either. That I had not played Dinuba blows my mind... back when I played golf regularly we played everywhere... no idea how I missed Dinuba.... and wow, what a pleasant surprise. I loved their course... but it is NOT easy. If you miss the fairway it's not that you just won't have a good shot it's that you're not going to find our ball.... no exaggeration.

It's not a true 'links' course but it's the closest I know of around here. 21Dog, surely you've played Ridge Creek in Dinuba.... it's a 'jewel'... or is to me. Beautifully manicured... very nice clubhouse and restaurant with very good food! The greens were a little scuffed but not terribly so... I think, (didn't check), they allow 'spikes' on the course which is shocking... I didn't think spikes were allowed on ANY course in the USA these days.... but, could maybe have been someone cheating and wearing spikes.

So, how did I pull off a sub-90 on the toughest course, (to me), I've played since trying to make a comeback? I think it was precisely because it was tough, unforgiving... you MUST hit the fairways..... so I played within myself. Made smart moves, didn't always hit a driver off the tee. Plus I was putting well, that always helps. laughing smiley

No doubt we'll return to Dinuba... both my grandson and I fell in love with the course... BUT.... there is bad:

Not with the course.... we tee'd off at 1pm and it was scorching hot. Never before drank as much water as I did today. I got weak.... and I mean a bit 'worrisome' so. At the turn I went into the restaurant for a full half hour to cool and recover... but even so on the back nine I had to pull into the shade and rest a bit, while pouring water over my head and soaking my clothes.

I could feel my heart trying to leap from my chest, and that most of the time. So until autumn comes no more 1pm tee offs for me... dawn..... or maybe twilight play.

Great day... even with the heat and my bad response to it. My grandson, btw, shot an 84... which is very good because he's been playing for less than a year. From around 120 9 months ago to an 84 today on one tough course... he's doing well. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I broke 90..... at Dinuba..

JamesJM103August 28, 2023 07:12PM

played there once about three years ago

21Dog61August 29, 2023 04:43AM

Yup, that could be it... me sweating....

JamesJM47August 29, 2023 06:48AM

Lol

LesBaker66August 29, 2023 05:11PM