September 04, 2022 07:04PM
I'll add two to the list:

Jon Arnett, back in my high school-early junior college days, in a play that made a cigarette commercial: (Cigarettes were cool back in the late '50's, early '60's - Arnett looked uncomfortable and unfamiliar with the smoking mannerisms, blowing uninhaled smoke at the beginning of the commercial, overlooking an empty Colosseum as the announcer said... "Think back , Jon Arnett, and remember... "

I seem to remember the other team was the Philadelphia Eagles. Jon Arnett takes a kickoff three yards deep, is nearly tackled when barely out of the endzone, puts a series of moves on the opposing players as he runs to the opposite endozne with opposing tacklers missing him the entire way. No clear sailing. Not much blocking in sight. The play went on and on... and finally Arnett crosses the goal line.

I remember watching that commercial again and again with my dad, and we counted: ELEVEN opposing players got their hands on Arnett.

Best kick return I've seen - from any player - ever - in over seventy years as a Rams fan.

Another: Flash forward to college days in San Francisco, and I bought a cheap endzone seat (I worked for most of my college money) at Kezar Stadium (AKA the swamp) for my Rams vs. the 49ers.

Again, Arnett: Takes the ball close to the end zone, play is set up to go left, blockers sweep left, Niners are mowing them down as Arnett, now about fifteen-twenty yards out, reverses field and heads past the right hashes and turns upfield. 49ers attacking from the side - doing a superb job of missing tackles as Arnett puts moves on them I had never seen before. One guy is poised to take him out, tries to tackle midsection-high (tackle Arnett low and he simply jumps over you or you dive face-first into the dirt as he's suddenly not there) and Arnett turns his body sideways, feet and legs outstretched, and using his left hand vaults like a gymnast over the tackler as if he were a moving vault horse. (Arnett was a collegiate gymnast and it showed in his moves and incredible balance.) This sort of thing goes on until he's swarmed down around the thirty. The guy I was sitting next to could only say at that vault move "My God - he's uncanny!" And later: "How'd he do that? He's still on his feet!" On and on. I was ready. This was the show I came for: Jon Arnett, at his best, in person.

The highlight reels I can find on the internet only show some of Arnett's breakaway runs, but that's not the real Jon Arnett or what made him great. He brought an amazing level of skill and a wide variety of tools to a Ram team that had a three-downs-and-a-punt offense, in which he made a lot of yards unaided with the luxury of blocking. He was like a cross between Barry Sanders and and Gayle Sayers - would have been a HOF player with any other team.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Top Five Rams Special Teams Plays You Remember

Great Bordeni382September 04, 2022 01:06AM

slight correction on your Leroys

21Dog93September 04, 2022 05:40AM

I remember that

waterfield74September 04, 2022 08:27PM

Re: Top Five Rams Special Teams Plays You Remember

CROMWELL21132September 04, 2022 05:48AM

mtramfan182September 04, 2022 07:04PM

Hey, mtramfan

AlbaNY_Ram80September 05, 2022 05:46AM

Re: Hey, mtramfan

mtramfan218September 05, 2022 12:53PM

Additional memorable plays

L.A.Rams88September 05, 2022 03:43AM

Re: Additional memorable plays

mtramfan86September 05, 2022 01:05PM

Hekker’s completions vs. Seahawks and Niners.

canadaram108September 05, 2022 03:45AM

303073September 05, 2022 04:35AM

21Dog65September 05, 2022 05:40AM

303062September 05, 2022 08:37AM

Robert Bailey's moment in the sun as a Ram

21Dog153September 05, 2022 05:41AM

Re: Robert Bailey's moment in the sun as a Ram

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram107September 05, 2022 01:17PM