Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Obo Okoronkwo had a good reason for picking Texans in free agency

June 26, 2022 02:24PM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Obo Okoronkwo had a good reason for picking Texans in free agency

Cameron DaSilva
June 26, 2022 1:43 pm PT

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo wasn’t viewed as one of the Rams’ many premier free agents this offseason, but he still provided value to Los Angeles’ defense. He opted not to return to the Rams for another year after his rookie deal expired, choosing to sign a one-year deal with the Texans.

Okoronkwo didn’t pick the Texans because they offered him a massive contract. They gave him $3.25 million, but more importantly, they gave him an opportunity to return home and give back to the community.

In an interview with ESPN, he explained why it was so important for him to be able to help out in Houston.

“After winning the Super Bowl, I felt like it was very important to me to go home and start working in my community, so I decided to sign a deal with the Texans and start giving back as soon as I could,” Okoronkwo said.

“At this point, now, I’m ready to go win another [Super Bowl]. I’ve celebrated and I’m just ready to get back to work. With my new team, there’s a lot of work to do. I’m very thankful and grateful for the experiences that I’ve had, but it’s time to get to work again.”

The Rams will miss his pass-rushing ability, and he’ll probably miss playing alongside Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd. But Okoronkwo has to be thrilled to be back home where he started playing football in high school. He’s already started giving back by participating in the NFL’s first training camp in Africa, continuing his great community efforts.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Obo Okoronkwo had a good reason for picking Texans in free agency

BerendsenRam500June 26, 2022 02:24PM

Re: Obo Okoronkwo had a good reason for picking Texans in free agency

Ramkind263June 26, 2022 06:40PM

Ramstien212June 27, 2022 04:11AM

David Deacon155June 27, 2022 04:29AM

BerendsenRam165June 27, 2022 09:04AM

He will have to stay healthy