Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some interesting stuff there 43

June 03, 2022 05:23AM
Rams43
Rams WRs coach speaks highly of Tutu Atwell's progress: 'It's night and day'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Tutu Atwell didn’t contribute in the way he or the Rams hoped he would as a rookie last year. The second-round pick played just 10 offensive snaps and never recorded a touch, only working on special teams.

He suffered a season-ending shoulder injury after just eight games, sidelining him for the second half of the year. But now that he’s healthy, Atwell is looking to carve out a bigger role within the offense.

Rams wide receivers coach Eric Yarber echoed what Sean McVay said recently, coming away impressed with the progress Atwell has made in Year 2. He told Kevin Modesti of the OC Register that “it’s night and day” with Atwell’s development compared to his rookie year.

“He’s progressing very, very well mentally and physically. The game has slowed down for him. He knows his plays like the back of his hand,” Yarber said. “It’s almost like he took things for granted (last year). But now, he saw how Cooper and Robert Woods prepared and how it translated to on-the-field (success). I was going to suggest he do that anyway, but he did it before I even suggested it. That says a lot about how he’s serious about this and he wants to be a good pro.”

The Rams’ receiver group didn’t make it easy for Atwell to earn reps last year, playing behind Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Van Jefferson and DeSean Jackson. However, there may have been things Atwell could have done to improve his chances, too.

Yarber spoke about pressing Atwell on the importance of preparation, which has helped him get ready for the 2022 season.

“Last year, he thought he knew but he really didn’t,” Yarber said. “So you’ve got to press on him: ‘Hey, this is how you prepare. You’ve got to prepare like a pro. This is your livelihood. This is not you going to class and then going out there and using your athletic ability.’”

The Rams still have Kupp and Jefferson at wide receiver, and they also added Allen Robinson, so Atwell once again has an uphill climb to playing time. But Yarber expects him to contribute in the passing game and on special teams, and there’s also the possibility of running jet sweeps to get the ball in his hands.

Sounds like Tutu might have been a bit "over confident" and didn't prepare very well thinking he could just "rely on his speed". He wouldn't be the first rookie to think that and won't be the last.

What I did like reading was from Yarber about his prep..."I was going to suggest he do that anyway, but he did it before I even suggested it. That says a lot about how he’s serious about this and he wants to be a good pro.”

That's a good sign. I think Tutu might have been "humbled" and maybe even a little embarrassed after last year. He took heat from everyone including his family. You could tell it bothered him by this tweet:

"Tutu Atwell Jr
@tutuatwell
·
Mar 22
I love being counted out it be your own fans and family but it only makes me goes harder to prove you clowns wrong

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams WR’s coach speaks highly of Atwell: ‘It’s night and day’…

Rams43514June 03, 2022 05:05AM

I’ll say it once more…

Rams43543June 03, 2022 05:10AM

Re: I’ll say it once more…

oldschoolramfan310June 03, 2022 05:18AM

Being one of his biggest critics...

Ramsdude144June 03, 2022 05:30AM

LMU93186June 03, 2022 05:58AM

oldschoolramfan110June 03, 2022 07:31AM

Some interesting stuff there 43

Ramsdude142June 03, 2022 05:23AM

Re: Some interesting stuff there 43

Rams43224June 03, 2022 05:54AM

I take this as a bad sign

promomasterj117June 03, 2022 07:44AM

Re: I take this as a bad sign

SoCalRAMatic83June 03, 2022 08:08AM

"He knows his plays like the back of his hand"

merlin204June 03, 2022 10:08AM

Re: Rams WR’s coach speaks highly of Atwell: ‘It’s night and day’…

The_Zone87June 03, 2022 10:21AM

Re: Rams WR’s coach speaks highly of Atwell: ‘It’s night and day’…

Shecky182June 03, 2022 10:27AM