Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2018 NFL Training Camp: Aaron Donald reportedly 'will not play another down' on current deal

May 30, 2022 05:35AM
2018 NFL Training Camp: Aaron Donald reportedly 'will not play another down' on current deal
Link

Donald is still angling for a contract extension that the Rams have thus far been unwilling to give him

By Jared Dubin
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:37 am ET

The Rams should not expect to see Aaron Donald on the field anytime soon, unless they are willing to pony up some cash. According to a report from ESPN.com's Adam Schefter, there is a belief around the league that Donald will not play another down on his current contract and is willing to hold out until the Rams give him an extension.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Link

There is a belief from some around the league that, no matter the fines or the effect on his free agency, Aaron Donald will not play another down on his existing contract. In other words, his holdout is likely to last until a new deal comes along.
7:34 AM · Jul 26, 2018·Twitter for iPhone

Donald is heading into the fifth-year option portion of his rookie contract, set to make $6,892,000 in 2018 after pulling in $10,136,500 during the first four years of his rookie-scale deal. He held out for a contract extension last summer but did not get one, and he ultimately missed the first two games of the year before returning and looking like his typical dominant self.

Since entering the league as the No. 13 overall pick out of Pittsburgh in 2013, Donald has made the Pro Bowl in every season of his career. He has also been named a first team All-Pro in each of the last three seasons. He's recorded 204 tackles and 39 sacks across his four seasons, with the latter figure ranking first in the league among defensive tackles, and ninth in the league overall. Even those figures do not do his impact justice, however. He's forced nine fumbles and recovered two more, deflected nine passes, and finished in the top six in total pressures (sacks plus hits plus hurries) in each of the last three seasons, including first a year ago.

With the uncertainty surrounding J.J. Watt's health, Donald is the clear best defensive player in football at this moment. He may in fact be the best player in football, period. And yet the Rams seem unwilling to engage him on talks for a new deal to his liking, even while they hand big-money contracts to players like Ndamukong Suh (who will make more than twice as much as Donald during the 2018 season), Brandin Cooks, and Todd Gurley.

Donald's frustration with his lack of long-term security is completely understandable, especially given his obvious on-field impact. The Rams have maintained since last year that they want to keep Donald for the long haul, but there has been almost no (publicly-confirmed) movement toward making that happen. Now, Donald is prepared to stay away from camp and even sit out through the regular season until he gets a new deal. This holdout is not going to end quickly.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

2018 Article on AD's first Holdout...Deja Vu lol

Ramsdude150May 30, 2022 05:26AM

Re: 2018 Article: Second annual Aaron Donald holdout lingers

Ramsdude68May 30, 2022 05:30AM

Ramsdude41May 30, 2022 05:35AM

Re: 2018 Article: Second annual Aaron Donald holdout lingers

AlbaNY_Ram86May 30, 2022 05:43AM

I remember it very well AlbaNY!

Ramsdude51May 30, 2022 05:54AM

2018 Article: Los Angeles Rams DL Aaron Donald to holdout of training camp for second consecutive year

Ramsdude45May 30, 2022 05:38AM

2018 Article: Rams' Aaron Donald Ends Holdout, Signs 6-Year, $135M Deal

Ramsdude86May 30, 2022 05:41AM

2018 Article: Aaron Donald ends holdout with record deal from LA Rams

Ramsdude54May 30, 2022 05:43AM

(LOL!) I Remember These Articles...

ramBRO77May 30, 2022 05:54AM

Re: (LOL!) I Remember These Articles...

Ramsdude89May 30, 2022 05:57AM