Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Right now the answer to that question is "no"

May 08, 2022 08:13AM
But there is the possibility that could change with the current group of players. I don't think that possibility is very strong, for the record. But yeah I think it's possible.

Rams likely to keep 4
Higbee
Blanton (Competing for TE2)
Hopkins (Competing for TE2)
Markway (Journeyman/blocker insurance)
Carter (Small but productive UDFA)
Pettigrew (Looks the part and a willing blocker)

Right now we're missing a TE2 in that room who can serve as a strong blocking element. We do have pass catchers on that list. Both Blanton and Hopkins have a chance to win that role. Markway is a journeyman/blocker at TE who is the insurance plan if neither Blanton nor Hopkins can block at the level required.

It feels to me like Hopkins main issue has been his lack of special teams involvement. So I don't think it's a mistake that the Rams took a guy in Harris who was a stud gunner. And despite the fact that Harris has been moved to WR according to McVay the fact remains that they looked for teams utility.

So... As it pertains to Carter & Pettigrew they are both going to need to excel on teams to stick on this roster. It's going to be really tough for those two. They need to beat out one of the top 4 to stick on this roster which is going to be difficult. I really like both of them btw. I like Carter's productivity. Some guys who really look the part never produce and it's common with TE types especially the projects. He is definitely a guy who produces. And Pettigrew is a big rangy guy like Blanton and isn't afraid to mix it up just needs coaching/pro regimen.

Really what the Rams are missing at TE is an elite pass game threat. Of all the guys in that room the only one who might be capable of that is Hopkins. Higs has two years left so I'd imagine that next year's draft is the window to draft his replacement.

Speaking of contract window TE looks great for team control. The problem really is potency at the top of the depth chart and them finding someone good enough at TE2 to where they can run 12 sets without feeling like they're setting the offense back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2022 08:14AM by merlin.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams 2022 depth charts: Is the tight ends room finally getting crowded?

BerendsenRam490May 06, 2022 09:10AM

Super Bowl Unsung Hero

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram192May 06, 2022 10:01AM

Just thinking today

alyoshamucci292May 06, 2022 11:29AM

Re: Rams 2022 depth charts: Is the tight ends room finally getting crowded?

Ramstien143May 06, 2022 11:41AM

BerendsenRam136May 06, 2022 12:44PM

SoCalRAMatic115May 06, 2022 02:55PM

Rams43172May 06, 2022 04:45PM

SoCalRAMatic103May 07, 2022 02:20AM

TE Pass Catching is Good, Blocking is a ?

David Deacon196May 07, 2022 03:57AM

Re: TE Pass Catching is Good, Blocking is a ?

BerendsenRam117May 07, 2022 09:57AM

Right now the answer to that question is "no"

merlin205May 08, 2022 08:13AM