Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Winners and losers from Rams' haul in 2022 NFL draft

May 02, 2022 05:38PM
AlbaNY_Ram
The last several Rams drafts seem to be geared as much towards future needs as current needs. My observation is that the Rams have been going into recent drafts with no obvious holes, drafting with an eye for building depth for the current year but with an even higher priority for preparing for potential free agent departures the following year.

That's what has enabled the Rams to keep that comp pick train running: they can afford to let certain FAs walk because they already have guys in the pipeline who can step up.

Van Jefferson is listed as a winner, but the only FA WR the Rams will have in 2023 is Brandon Powell. This is as much a statement about next year's WR situation as it is about Van.

Darrell Henderson is listed as a loser. He may lose snaps to Williams in 2022... but maybe he doesn't. But next year not only is Williams a FA, but so is Jones and Calais. If they all leave then Williams will have a year in the system prior to taking over as the #2 guy. And maybe the Rams get a comp pick for Hendo.

Justin Hollins and Terrell Lewis are listed as winners. But Hollins is their only FA edge next year, and if the Rams sign a FA edge as I expect then they will have that covered. Would Hollins get the Rams a comp pick?

All the CBs are listed as losers, but next year Hill and Long are FAs (as are safeties Rapp, Gervase, and Scott). Again, the drafting of Decobie and Kendrick says more to me about next year than this year. (The Hill trade says more about this year, obviously. But to me it just says that the Rams don't want to be forced to rely on Decobie or Kendricks in 2022.) Hill might net a comp pick, not sure any of the others would.

Riley Dixon a winner? The Rams will certainly have someone come in as competition and his roster spot is not assured. But the Rams not drafting a punter isn't necessarily a vote of confidence.

Coleman Shelton, Bobby Evans and Tremayne Anchrum are listed as losers. But the Rams could lose Havs, Edwards, and Evans in 2023 so bringing Bruss in to prep for a year makes sense even if he doesn't start this year. Havs could garner a comp pick, maybe Edwards, too, as a starting LG on the open market.

The young DL are listed as winners and perhaps that's the case. Next year A'Shawn, Gaines, Hoecht, and Copeland are FAs and the Rams only have AD, BB3, E.Brown, and Jonah Williams under contract. This is an area where the Rams might resign a couple of their FA rather than look for comp picks from this position group.

Brycen Hopkins and Kendall Blanton are listed as winners, but Higbee, Hopkins, and Harris are under contract are under contract for 2023. Maybe drafting a TE would have made sense considering how long it takes TEs to adapt to the NFL. Maybe the Rams think Markaway is that developmental guy? (I doubt the Rams would get a comp pick for Blanton.)

So looking at the draft thru a 2023 lens rather than a 2022 lens, the Rams drafted in such a way that it leads to a healthy roster next year while still potentially getting 4 more comp picks out of their FA losses (plus another couple 3rd round comp picks when Morris gets his HC gig?)
You nailed it Albany.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Winners and losers from Rams' haul in 2022 NFL draft

BerendsenRam407May 02, 2022 11:21AM

AlbaNY_Ram202May 02, 2022 12:18PM

Ramfan21122May 02, 2022 05:38PM