Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Combine analysis ... Front 7

March 10, 2022 09:17AM
Wow. Just wow.

Ive been mentioning the depth of this class (from covid stuff to the updated transfer portal) for a while, but no where was it more evident than in watching Day 3 of the combine. High end talent at the top and quality players that will likely not even be drafted because of the sheer numbers. You figure, 250+ draft spots, 324 players at the combine, and likely another 30-40 drafted that were snubbed by the combine ... 100 kids I've watched this week will go undrafted.

I'm going to complain yet again about the lack of short shuttles and 3 cones. I am sleeping less these days (age? no idea, Im 43 but this is new) so I could sit and watch every single player do every drill this year without being rushed. That hopefully makes up for the times, but Im likely to scour pro days for these in March and April. Some guys didn't run the 40, that's okay. Only Nakobe Dean skipped the day completely.

The cool thing was how lively the group of LBs were ... lit up after a long day. I'm not looking for an edge because I think we sign Von to a few years. But I want to take some of the ILBs ... like many of them. I was alone in my basement clapping at the screen after some 40s and drills.

There are some teams that can get healthy really fast from this draft class.

The lists are weird so Im going to move guys to their spots ...

I'll have targets in italics.

DL

Thomas Booker, Stanford Ran really well, had a smooth day of drills ... with this depth he could be taken anywhere ... watching for the 6th or 7th. Used to being a big 5 tech.

Matthew Butler, Tennessee Ran well, drilled well. Again, the depth of this draft. It's crazy. 2nd at the position for vert.

Zach Carter, Florida Thought he didn't look as smooth as I expected... he's a 4-3 guy that should move inside and out ... some games he was a beast and others not so much.

DJ Davidson, Arizona State Big smooth kid... no 40. Wanted to see his split ... but he moved pretty smooth.

Jordan Davis, Georgia If you haven't watched his 40 and drills, find it on youtube. I thought I was watching an animation. Couldn't be a real person.

Kalia Davis, UCF DNP

Noah Elliss, Idaho Big boy (340) ... slow. Not smooth. Not a strong lower body to go with the huge belly. Likely undrafted and needs a year of body training.

Neil Farrell, LSU As big as the fella above, but more athletic. Did better on the field workouts than I expected at his size, but it's tough to grade them fairly after seeing JD.

Jonathan Ford, Miami No 40. So no 10. He wasn't as smooth as some of the other guys band was straining I thought.

Haskell Garrett, Ohio State Average times, maybe a bit below expectation... he's a football player though that'll be underdrafted.

Logan Hall, Houston I have him lower than most because he didn't dominate on tape. His #s don't show much explosion. 30 inch vert is a red flag.

Chris Hinton, Michigan Had a great day in the drills with his dad watching. Good vert.

Jordan Jackson, Air Force DNP

Travis Jones, Connecticut Made money. I had many years fo tape on him, and he has momentum he's likely to carry into the top 40 picks. Great 40 and burst #s and some of the smoothest drills.

DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M Ya know I expected him to drill better. He was a bit jerky ... but he ran pretty well.

Phidarian Mathis, Alabama No 40. He could get lost in the process. He had a solid workout but not spectacular. Can he slide?

Marquan McCall, Kentucky We don't like big noses, but here's your guy if you do. Played at 360 and moved well in the drills ... smoother than I expected and he was still moving okay at the end of the day, which is what I was worried about because he was in only half the snaps at UK.

Otito Ogbonnia, UCLA Fast mover, but not super smooth. I may not mind that.

Esezi Otomewo, Minnesota DNP.

Jayden Peevy, Texas A&M Not a fan.

LaBryan Ray, Alabama DNP

John Ridgeway, Arkansas This guy is my target if he slides to the 6th. Great in drills, and I love his play.

Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa, Notre Dame Big effort player. Mot super smooth or fast. UDFA?

Eyioma Uwazurike, Iowa State Another target if he slides to the 6th. Moved really well at his size in the drills. No 40. But he was the leader in vert at 33. Odds are he won't slide.

Perrion Winfrey, Oklahoma DNP.

Devonte Wyatt, Georgia ​ Best 40 at 4.77 and crazy drill work after demolishing the Senior Bowl. Honestly I have him above Davis. His hand technique and center of gravity should have him as the first DT off the board.

Edge

Christopher Allen, Alabama DNP

Amaré Barno, Virginia Tech Fastest 40 ever at 6-4 245 and a solid short shuttle (thanks for running it)

Nik Bonitto, Oklahoma Really productive kid who would be a plus athlete on a normal year that may get lost because he just looks average running a 4.62 at 248 pounds. 4.23 short shuttle, that's DB area. 7.07 3 cone. If he lasts till our first pick I might spend the money.

Darrian Beavers, Cincinnati I thought I wanted him at 4-3 end initially, but his field work changed my mind. No 40, but smooth movement. No idea where he goes.

Micheal Clemons, Texas A&M A little stiff ... no 40.

Arnold Ebiketie, Penn State I'm not as much of a fan of him, didn't flash for me in games. Not super smooth in drills. No 40. But his vert suggests he'd be fast (38 inches)

Kingsley Enagbare, South Carolina Okay, so I expected him to run where he did, he lumbers a bit. His field workout was the same ... but he wins against O linemen really consistently. He'll be underdrafted.

Jeffrey Gunter, Coastal Carolina I started a crush on this guy last year. 6-4 260 4.70 4.35 SS 7.2 3 cone. Shined in drills (got applause multiple times). He was kind of alone this year (They had a bookend last year) and faded a bit ... but I like him if he slides.

Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan Someone is getting a perennial pro bowler.

Drake Jackson, USC Kid who could slide. No 40. Played 4-3 edge early, was moved to LB ... might be better with his hand in the dirt but he was smooth enough to put in space I thought.

Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State In a normal year this is a top 5 player. Not as smooth moving backwards but is capable if needed. I'd prefer him in a 4-3 but I'm being really picky.

Tyree Johnson, Texas A&M DNP.

George Karlaftis, Purdue Needs to be in a 4-3. Will be a great value for whoever drafts him. He is a monster. I watch Purdue often and he can become a psychological issue for QBs. Still room to develop.

Jesse Luketa, Penn State Ran much slower than expected. Had the rare combo of great vertical and terrible broad. I'm confused a bit now. I like his play, but he tested like a 6th round target not a 3rd or 4th.

DeAngelo Malone, Western Kentucky No 40. He was fast in the drills. He was one where I wanted to see the #s.

Boye Mafe, Minnesota Knew he'd jump out of the gym, had really great drills as well.

Jeremiah Moon, Florida Not a huge fan ... but he drilled pretty well.

David Ojabo, Michigan I don't have him top ten, but he's got a ton of upside and his testing #s are bonkers.

Joshua Paschal, Kentucky Love this kid's play and leadership, likely a 4-3 only guy who can kick inside on 3rd down ...

Dominique Robinson, Miami (Ohio) I didn't have enough Miami of Ohio this year. Good numbers though, I'll likely have to watch some youtube. More fast than smooth.

Myjai Sanders, Cincinnati Lost 15 pounds so I can't take the #s seriously. Drills were iffy. He's likely to slide.

Tyreke Smith, Ohio State I like him at 4-3 end but he tested well across the board.

Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oregon Red Flags. I thought Oregon's D was better with him not on the field. Time was what I expected but then he dipped and didn't do field drills. Note ... I had this red flag on him in 2020. He's done nothing to show me I should remove it.

Cameron Thomas, San Diego State No 40. High effort guy unlikely to be drafted. Drills were average, which isn't promising if you want to get drafted.

Isaiah Thomas, Oklahoma weak burst #s. Average workout.

Travon Walker, Georgia I think someone will draft him too high. But his #s are freakish as was his workout.

Sam Williams, Mississippi Like this kid, hope he gets lost in the shuffle. Wish he'd been a little slower, lol. 4.5 guy. 10-3 broad. My worry with him is his bend, but he did that drill pretty well IMO.

Tre Williams, Arkansa Low burst #s, low 40 ... but a decent football player. Likely undrafted.

Alex Wright, UAB No 40 ... Drills were lacking in speed or smoothness.

LB By far the best class I've seen. Best group this year.

Troy Andersen, Montana State Freakish #s and movement skills.

Brian Asamoah, Oklahoma 4.56 guy. PLays at that speed and drilled well.

Terrel Bernard, Baylor No 40 ... which Im fine with. 4.25 SS and 7.03 3 cone and great drills are my jam. Kid was a centerpiece to Baylor's D. He cold slide to the 6th easily.

Darien Butler, Arizona State no 40. Smooth drills Not as good movement #s as Bernard.

Chance Campbell, Mississippi Did not expect him to run a 4.57. Tackling machine.

Leo Chenal, Wisconsin Thumper, did not expect sub 4.6 and 40 inch vert at 250. Moved well in drills ... no idea where he lands.

Damone Clark, LSU Smooth and quick ... great drills ...

Nakobe Dean, Georgia DNP.

JoJo Domann, Nebraska I like him as a tweener type ... our style LB. Didn't drill as well as I thought he would or run as fast, but he moved at full speed on the football field. Again Im scouting the 6th round.

Jeremiah Gemmel, North Carolina DNP.

Isaiah Graham-Mobley, Boston College Average guy who looked below average because of who he was playing next to this year.

Jake Hansen, Illinois DNP.

Aaron Hansford, Texas A&M DNP.

Christian Harris, Alabama Made a case for a first round pick with a 4.4 .. but I think he's not smooth enough.

D'Marco Jackson, Appalachian State Happy for this kid. Likely played himself out of our reach, but great on the field and tested so well I can't imagine him getting to a spot where we'd take him. Maybe the smoothest drills of the day.

Nate Landman, Colorado He pulled up on his 40 I think.

Devin Lloyd, Utah Tested decent and rilled a bit erratic. Not as good as his tape.

Zakoby McClain, Auburn One of my targets going back a ways due to sheer production. Decent drills and test #s ...about what I expected. More a UDFA target.

Micah McFadden, Indiana DNP

Chad Muma, Wyoming Likely going to go in the 2nd or late first now, jumped a lot of people with his workout.

Malcolm Rodriguez, Oklahoma State Target. Fast. Smooth. Instinctive. Hitter.

Mike Rose, Iowa State No 40, but he looked fast on the field. Drills were solid. 4 year starter.

Josh Ross, Michigan Underwhelmed across the board.

Jack Sanborn, Wisconsin I was a fan of his tape, ability to play on the other side of the LOS ... his speed was about what I expected, and his drills were exemplary.

Nephi Sewell, Utah I like him late ... he has quietly had a solid career. Fast, but more interested in his 4.25 SS and 7.01 SS. He's the smallest of his brothers but he makes up for it with agility.

Brandon Smith, Penn State Did not see that time coming. Gonna have to watch some videos.

Baylon Spector, Clemson DNP

Channing Tindall, Georgia Kid wasn't even a starter. Dont have that much tape. Speed was good drills were above average.

Quay Walker, Georgia had a great, smooth day. 4.52 guy means he likely goes in round 2.

Thanks you all for reading ... questions and comments welcome.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Combine analysis ... Front 7

alyoshamucci428March 10, 2022 09:17AM

That is a tremendous amount of work and information- Thank you nm

Rams Junkie98March 10, 2022 02:16PM

George Karlaftis, Purdue Needs to be in a 4-3. Will be a great value for whoever drafts him. He is a monster.

JimYoungblood53121March 10, 2022 05:44PM

Re: George Karlaftis, Purdue Needs to be in a 4-3. Will be a great value for whoever drafts him. He is a monster.

alyoshamucci171March 11, 2022 06:16AM

Re: A stellar group of LBs

leafnose107March 19, 2022 06:32AM

Re: Blinkscout Combine analysis ... Front 7

Ekern55141March 11, 2022 05:44AM

Thanks for the background on Ellis ...

alyoshamucci133March 11, 2022 06:17AM

Re: Blinkscout Combine analysis ... Front 7

AlbaNY_Ram179March 11, 2022 06:04AM

Blinkscout Combine analysis Front 7: Thanks, Alyo: Draft Bible Front 7

Anonymous User137March 11, 2022 02:11PM

best late 3rd value position?