Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1998 CBS News: Vermeil Eases Up On Practices

February 11, 2022 09:16AM
Vermeil Eases Up On Practices
BY CBSNEWS.COM STAFF

SEPTEMBER 16, 1998 / 10:52 PM /

Dick Vermeil agreed Wednesday to ease up on practices and meetings, and his players appreciate it.

Vermeil's notoriously grueling workload has drawn the ire of players since the first days of training camp, and it was the subject of players-only meetings Friday and again Monday. After the Monday session, the team called in Vermeil to air the complaints.

On Wednesday, Vermeil met again with the team to announce a new, tighter schedule as the Rams prepare to play at Buffalo on Sunday. Both teams are 0-2.

"I've made some adjustments in my schedule that I think will help relieve any tension they have in their minds in regard to how hard I work them, and how often, on the field," Vermeil said.

Media reports last weekend said the Rams were ready to mutiny against Vermeil. Players on Wednesday said it was never that bad.

"They were talking about guys walking out. We never got even close to that," linebacker Mike A. Jones said.

Still, players said they were enthusiastic about the changes, and about the fact that Vermeil was willing to compromise.

"It looks like we'll be off the field 45 minutes earlier, which is good," defensive tackle D'Marco Farr said. "For us to take it to him, and for him to respond to us, it just brings us closer."

"I'm just glad we have a good coach that feels the pulse of the team," defensive end Kevin Carter said.

The new plan doesn't necessarily make the practices any easier, but it is aimed at cutting down on time. Practices will begin an hour later in the morning. Meetings will be more concise. Some drills will be held simultaneously.

"We'll have less time standing around," quarterback Tony Banks said. "My back tends to get a little tight, my arm gets tight."

"This way it's just a little crisper. You want to be as fresh as you can for Sundy."

Some players have wondered if the Rams' slow starts in losses to New Orleans and Minnesota were the result of too much practice during the week. In both games, the Rams were outscored 14-0 in the first quarter, then rallied, but fell short.

Vermeil said penalties and turnovers, and not long practices, have been the first-quarter culprits. That's what he told the team during Wednesday's meeting.

The mini-mutiny wasn't the first Vermeil has faced. His UCLA players staged a brief walkout over the coach's difficult practices about two weeks prior to the 1976 Rose Bowl, but eventually relented. The Bruins went on to upset No. 1 Ohio State.

"Every football team I've ever coached has complained about how hard I work them," Vermeil said. "It's just human nature to complain."

But Vermeil said there were no hard feelings.

"I like them coming to me and expressing their thoughts," he said. "I don't want anything ever used as an excuse for not playing well. Anything I can do to help them mentally and physically feel that they can play better, I listen to them."

[www.cbsnews.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Former Rams coach Dick Vermeil elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

BerendsenRam229February 10, 2022 07:28PM

just another omen for our Rams....

Rampage2K-106February 10, 2022 07:55PM

To top it off, I just MIGHT....

Ramgator74February 11, 2022 02:27AM

Re: To top it off, I just MIGHT....

den-the-coach127February 11, 2022 02:35AM

Happy for Dick Vermeil

den-the-coach63February 11, 2022 02:37AM

great coach, great man

21Dog166February 11, 2022 04:14AM

Re: great coach, great man

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram43February 11, 2022 05:03AM

oldschoolramfan37February 11, 2022 07:25AM

Ramkind58February 11, 2022 08:57AM

Re: Former Rams coach Dick Vermeil elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

MamaRAMa67February 11, 2022 04:23AM

Absolutely, we have said this before.....

roman1862February 11, 2022 07:57AM

I will forever remember…

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram80February 11, 2022 04:30AM

No coach I liked more than Vermeil....

JamesJM91February 11, 2022 06:51AM

Yes, but I seem to recall a 'near team mutiny' around this time.

RAMbler70February 11, 2022 07:32AM

1998 CBS News: Vermeil Eases Up On Practices

MamaRAMa152February 11, 2022 09:16AM

Thanks for that Mama....

RAMbler94February 11, 2022 09:56AM