Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do the Combine athletic tests actually predict success?

January 22, 2022 04:21AM
I've wondered for a very long time just what good the Combine actually does in helping teams predict success in players.
What I've heard ex-GMs say is that it's really about the medicals, the weigh-ins, and the interviews.

So what good does the 40 do? Does it really matter that much how many reps a guy does with the weights? How about the standing broad jump?

It seems to me... an ancient armchair football watcher and evaluator.... that how they play the game of football matters more.

If you listen to the gal (can't think of her name) that heads up the Rams leading edge analytics department, she more or less says the same thing. Their goal is to measure the great football players in a number of different areas and traits, give them a weighting based on the success players have in the NFL, and then use that as one of the predictors of success.

You won't hear the 40 mentioned. Not even the 3 cone. It uses GPS data, and other inputs that their research indicates a level of athleticism, but always how this translates within those who play football well.

It seems to me that the Combine could be greatly changed to just do medicals, interviews, and H/W measurements. By getting rid of so many of the drills, more time could be spent with what actually matters. I doubt this will happen, because the Combine has become a TV event with known commentators breathlessly waiting for someone to run a fast 40, or jump high.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 04:22AM by RockRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Do the Combine athletic tests actually predict success?

RockRam151January 22, 2022 04:21AM

Re: Do the Combine athletic tests actually predict success?

VWV94January 22, 2022 08:21AM

Isn't Canadian 2 cents about a penny US?

RockRam51January 22, 2022 08:26AM

Somewhat

NewMexicoRam80January 22, 2022 08:29AM

agreed

LMU9347January 22, 2022 08:34AM