Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Andrew Whitworth unsure of what's next after football but knows he wants to help others in LA

November 23, 2021 06:57PM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Andrew Whitworth unsure of what's next after football but knows he wants to help others in LA

Cameron DaSilva
November 23, 2021 2:14 pm PT

Andrew Whitworth has had a very successful career in the NFL, largely thanks to this second chapter of his time as a pro with the Rams. He’s helped change the culture in Los Angeles and turn the Rams into perennial contenders, while simultaneously helping out in a big way in the local community.

Whitworth has started every game for the Rams that he’s been healthy for and at the age of 39, he’s playing better than maybe he ever has. He hasn’t definitively said this will be his last season but he’s hinted at that exact plan, likely calling it a career after the Rams’ season ends.

He has no interest in being a swing tackle or player-coach, either, which is perfectly understandable at his age and with his ability.

“Nah, I’m LT1 and that’s it. If I’m not doing that, then I’m doing another role,” he said on “Getcha Popcorn Ready With T.O. and Hatch.” “Because to me, if I’m not trying to be the best at something, then I want something else to do so I’m gonna go find the next thing that I’m gonna be the best at.”

As for what his next career path will be, Whitworth isn’t sure. Now that he lives in Los Angeles, so many doors have opened for him and his family. When he does retire, he’s going to take time to think about what’s next before jumping into something.

“That’s the other part about living in L.A., there’s so many options,” he said. “There’s a lot of things to do. I just know it’s one of those things that when I’m done and I do finally decide I’m gonna hang it up, I’m gonna sit back for a moment and kind of feel out what it is what I want to do – what I really want to do, not just jump at things.

“I want to find something I want to be a part of, I want to be good at and successful at.”

Whitworth is a big golfer in his free time, but his real passions are spending time with family and helping others. He’s dedicated to doing what he can to help those in need in Los Angeles and plans to continue on that path when he eventually does retire from the NFL.

“It’s kids, golf and honestly, I love people. I love making a difference,” he said. “I love being in people’s lives and helping people along with their journeys.

“Besides raising money for those things through my foundation, but also making impacts in the community in L.A. and trying to be a part of bridging gaps that need to be bridged for a long time. To me, it’s like, hey, if I’m not trying to do something and make something of myself, I want to make sure I’m in someone else’s ear trying to help them figure out the way that they can make something of themselves or just believing in themselves that they can achieve whatever it is they want.”

Whitworth would make a great coach. He’d also be an insightful and intelligent football analyst, should he pursue that. But no matter what he decides on, expect to hear plenty about the work he’s doing in the Los Angeles community to help anyone he can.

Catch the full interview with Whitworth on “Getcha Popcorn Ready With T.O. and Hatch” Sunday night on Fubo Sports Network at 8 p.m. ET.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Andrew Whitworth unsure of what's next after football but knows he wants to help others in LA

BerendsenRam210November 23, 2021 06:57PM

Re: Andrew Whitworth unsure of what's next after football but knows he wants to help others in LA

BerendsenRam100November 23, 2021 07:07PM

Re: Andrew Whitworth unsure of what's next after football but knows he wants to help others in LA

Ramstien139November 24, 2021 03:25AM

21Dog90November 24, 2021 06:01AM

Rams4366November 24, 2021 07:27AM

Leoram85November 24, 2021 07:46AM

Rams4376November 24, 2021 07:54AM

BerendsenRam258November 24, 2021 09:01AM