Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Identity

November 23, 2021 05:27AM
For two weeks now, fans have suggested the Rams change their identity because they lost two games in awful fashion. It's been suggested the defense attack more with press coverage or at the very least, tighter off coverage. Watching the 9'ers run the time of possession up by pounding the rock has many suggest the Rams need to focus more on the running game. And since the not so special teams have been beaten by their opponents regularly, the fans have called for wholesale changes. All these views have significant merit, but what is the reality of how the Rams should push forward?

This question, to me, is best answered by knowing that a football team must choose an identity and be proficient about executing it. On offense, the strength of the team is centered on the best players like Kupp, Stafford, Whitworth, and now...maybe...Beckham. Does anyone here actually rank Henderson and Michel above anyone from that list, especially when you consider their injury risk? Should we really suggest they adopt a Ravens/Titans/Niners identity? Of course not. We just want them to be more balanced, right? And what of the downfield passing attack? Last offseason, fan mantra centered on the need to stretch the field and so the Jackson and Atwell additions were celebrated. When Desean produced explosive plays, fans stood up and said, "I told you so!" about Stafford and Jackson. Then, when Matthew missed on downfield throws, the call was for more of a running game and short passes. Stretching the field is as much a gamble as a defensive blitz. It's a double edged sword that cuts both directions. Fortunately, McVay won't let bad plays deter him from incorporating deep passes because sometimes it leads to turnovers. This is a passing team that can run effectively when they choose to do so. Why? Because that's where the best talent on the roster exists. In basketball, the Warriors were built on the three point shot but could win in the paint if they chose to do so. They would miss more from behind the line than they did at the rim and there were games they couldn't hit the three consistently, but they didn't change their overall philosophy due to a few bad games. It will take time to acclimate Beckham into the offense, but doing so is essential to how they wish to attack defenses. I expect this to be a work in progress that will take some time to become effective but I applaud the concept of sticking with the identity of being explosive even if it means there will be flaws along the way.

On defense, the Rams philosophy is built on being multiple in scheme to keep the offense guessing. One may suggest they man up and attack relentlessly like Jim Haslett used to do. But for every gamble that got home, there were always big plays they gave up because the gamble was lost. Belichick is always multiple in scheme and treats the regular season as an extended training camp to build developing concepts he will employ in the postseason. Along the way, they almost always suffer perplexing losses where the defense looks helpless. But the Patriots' defensive philosophy has always been the ability to morph from one approach to another when the need arises. This is what the Rams are stubbornly developing in spite of some results. Having Ramsey shadow the best receiver while doubling the second best seems obvious against a team like the Niners who have Samuel and Kittle but do you really want Rochelle or Long on an island against ANYBODY? I don't. Making an offense adjust to both Ramsey and AD is the best long play. If they can get teams to third and long, the presence of Floyd and Miller will become devastating. They just need more negative plays on first and second downs to get there. I believe that's where we miss SJD, Hollins, Hill, and JJIII the most. But as players like Fuller, E Jones, Deayon, Gaines, and Rochelle develop, the POTENTIAL exists for a truly effective defense. That, however, seems to be occurring at a slower pace than we would all hope. Still, they have to stick to the plan in order for that to happen.

Finally: Special Teams. I swear, the '21 draft looked like nothing but a special teams restock. I actually believe this was a priority. Unfortunately, these younger players other than Skow have not fared well. Hitting on ST talent is the ultimate crap shoot. Either players are gifted at it or they aren't and you just don't know until the bullets fly. It only takes one or two missed assignments to blow a play and that seems to happen regularly. Identity? The Rams should play it safe and trust the O and D to do the job. A conservative approach is necessary. I say, kick it out of the end zone on every kickoff and punt at an angle out of bounds most of the time. Forget about punt blocking and returns and just defend the fakes as well as fair catch the damned ball. They just don't have enough good ST players to be aggressive. It's hard as a staff to tell the players they just aren't good enough but sadly, I believe that's where they should go this particular year. Be boring. I don't GAF. Just don't lose the game because you "trust" players who regularly let you down.

In summary, the Rams should continue to become an explosive offense that gets chunk plays while limiting the risk of turnovers. The defense should continue to master several styles until they become proficient at all of them. Once that occurs, their identity can become one of absolute fear by any offense that they must throw short on third and long so sacks and turnovers don't make them crumble. Finally, the ST philosophy needs to be...don't F it up. No penalties. No fake conversions. No turnovers. If we want yards, trust Stafford over Koski.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 05:34AM by Leoram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Identity

Leoram377November 23, 2021 05:27AM

Rams don't have to reinvent the wheel, IMO.

Ramgator197November 23, 2021 06:24AM

Re: Rams don't have to reinvent the wheel, IMO.

Ramstien114November 23, 2021 06:31AM

Re: Rams don't have to reinvent the wheel, IMO.

Rams43106November 23, 2021 06:46AM

Here’s my Readers Digest version…

Rams43132November 23, 2021 06:45AM

Re: Here’s my Readers Digest version…

Ramstien141November 23, 2021 07:13AM

Re: Here’s my Readers Digest version…

BerendsenRam100November 23, 2021 01:41PM

Re: Identity

GlacieRam85November 23, 2021 03:12PM

Re: Identity

Leoram167November 23, 2021 03:36PM