Advanced

Matthew Stafford’s wife reveals how panic attack exposed relationship issue

November 10, 2021 04:30PM
[nypost.com]

SPORTS

By Jaclyn Hendricks
November 9, 2021 4:32pm Updated

Since moving to Los Angeles from Detroit ahead of the 2021 NFL season, life has been moving full-steam ahead for Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford and his wife Kelly. But as the mother of four revealed Tuesday on her podcast, “The Morning After,” the couple recently needed something of a reset.

In the opening minutes of Tuesday’s episode, Kelly — who has been married to the 33-year-old quarterback since 2015 — explained that she and Stafford like to have at least one game a year reserved for themselves and family, as opposed to hosting visitors. Amid a challenging week, in which Kelly was also feeling under the weather, she suffered her first panic attack after a culmination of different stressors.

[www.instagram.com]
“I was going through all of these things, I’m stressed out about people being there, but not with me. I’m stressed about the holidays, I’m stressed that I have four kids … and to top it off, I had the stomach bug,” Kelly said. “I’m laying in bed on Wednesday night … and I’m just trying to go the f—k to sleep. I feel awful, I’m stressed out, there’s so many things happening that I can’t control, and then I lose control, and I have my first panic attack.”

Stafford came to Kelly’s aid, with the attack itself lasting about 10 minutes. The following day, the pair “hashed out” much of the stressors that had been taking over, with the Rams quarterback offering a candid omission to his wife.

Kelly Stafford at the Rams-Titans game on Nov. 8, 2021.

Kelly Stafford on Instagram
“To be totally honest, I didn’t know this until Saturday hit, but Matthew had been feeling like, I just, I don’t know, didn’t like him for the last month,” Kelly said. “When he told me on Sunday morning before the game, he said, ‘I just feel like I’m the last person on your list,’ and he was. And I feel like as significant others, as husbands and wives, as boyfriends and girlfriends, you tend to put the person that means the most to you at the bottom of the list … we’re not doing it to hurt each other, but in the end, it hurts.

“When I’m trying to take care of everybody else and my four kids, I forget about my husband, and that boiled over, and that was really hard to see because, when he was describing it to me, he was completely right.”

Although Sunday’s game against the Tennessee Titans did not swing in the Rams’ favor — Stafford threw for 294 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions in the 28-16 loss — Kelly noted Monday that her recent experience served as something of a wake-up call.

“Family, my family, should always come first. I realized after trying to take care of everything for everyone else … the people closest to me, that mean the most to me, were suffering,” she wrote in an Instagram Story. “My girls, my husband.. people that I never want that to happen to. This is my fresh start to make sure I care for them first and then, if I have time and energy .. I’ll try for everyone else too.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam544November 10, 2021 04:30PM

Re: Matthew Stafford’s wife reveals how panic attack exposed relationship issue

IdahoRam285November 11, 2021 07:42AM

Surprising article

RantoulRam259November 12, 2021 07:08AM

Re: Surprising article

waterfield204November 12, 2021 07:24AM

Never knew how bad Panic Attacks REALLY were till my Ex had one back in 2006.

Ramgator164November 12, 2021 10:18AM