Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sean McVay: DeSean Jackson deserves to see if 'there are better options out there'

October 29, 2021 01:42PM
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Sean McVay: DeSean Jackson deserves to see if 'there are better options out there'

Cameron DaSilva
October 29, 2021 1:00 pm PT
DeSean Jackson was supposed to be a missing piece for the Rams this season, stepping in as their deep threat after it was clear they missed Brandin Cooks in 2020. Despite being 34 years old, Jackson showed all offseason that he can still run and take the top off a defense.

But now seven weeks into the regular season, both sides have admitted this partnership isn’t working out as planned. The Rams and Jackson have mutually agreed to seek a trade partner for the veteran receiver, signaling a split is near.

That report surfaced Friday, just before Sean McVay took the podium for his final press conference of the week. He was immediately asked about it, explaining the thought process behind this decision.

“What it boils down to is opportunities that I think he’s deserving of and the situation and circumstances that surround it. And that’s really all I’m going to talk about with regards to DeSean,” he said.

Obviously, the pool of reporters didn’t let him get off that easy, asking McVay about what went wrong with Jackson’s tenure in Los Angeles and why it’s coming to an end so quickly.

“I think he’s got a tremendous record and resume and I think all the circumstances surrounding that, want to be able to open-minded,” McVay said. “This hasn’t exactly been probably what he envisioned and I think he deserves the opportunity to be able to see if there are better options out there for him.”

McVay said “DeSean is a potential Hall of Fame player that’s got a resume that speaks for itself,” continuing to praise Jackson as he has all year. But it’s clear there isn’t much of a role for Jackson in Los Angeles playing behind Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods and even Van Jefferson.

Jackson has played just 100 snaps on offense (23%) and has caught eight passes for 221 yards, showing flashes of being an impactful player. The playing time and opportunities just haven’t been there for him and McVay understands why he might not be satisfied with his role.

“I think the frustration is he’s got a lot of skill sets. He’s got a lot of great ability to offer. He just wanted to be able to help a little bit more than what he’s been given the opportunities,” McVay added.

Whether the Rams are able to find a team for Jackson is almost irrelevant when it comes to his future in Los Angeles. McVay wouldn’t commit to Jackson being on the Rams moving forward if no team trades for him, and indication that he’ll be released if a deal isn’t struck by Tuesday’s deadline. He also will not play Sunday against the Texans.

Signing Jackson was a worthwhile effort by Los Angeles, but finding snaps for him in a crowded receiver room was always going to be difficult – especially now that Jefferson is playing so well as the No. 3 wideout.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam353October 29, 2021 01:42PM

How much cap space would Rams save by trading DeSean Jackson?

BerendsenRam216October 29, 2021 01:55PM

Re: How much cap space would Rams save by trading DeSean Jackson?

AlbaNY_Ram119October 29, 2021 02:35PM

Re: Sean McVay: DeSean Jackson deserves to see if 'there are better options out there'

SB34RAMS1133October 29, 2021 01:55PM

Re: Sean McVay: DeSean Jackson deserves to see if 'there are better options out there'

ramBRO104October 29, 2021 03:03PM

he was free agent

ferragamo79113October 29, 2021 03:08PM

Re: he was free agent

SB34RAMS1122October 29, 2021 03:41PM

Classicalwit92October 29, 2021 05:10PM

GlacieRam82October 29, 2021 05:18PM

Re: he was free agent: You mean no you doubt it's Tutu

Anonymous User92October 29, 2021 05:39PM