Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - October 22, 2021

October 22, 2021 02:03PM

Head Coach Sean McVay
Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“Injury wise, I think we're in fairly good shape. We were limited with (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) yesterday. I think he'll probably be limited again today, even though today, we kind of tailor it back in terms of the intensity on Fridays. For the logistics of it, he will probably be listed as limited, but talking to him this morning and going through meetings I think he's feeling good. Expect him to be able to play.”

(On C Brian Allen’s absence from practice Thursday and if he will play Sunday)
“He was sick. Yeah. He got sick yesterday, just a little stomach bug. He's back today. Yes, he is (good for Sunday).”

(On who fills TE Johnny Mundt’s role)
“There are a couple of guys that are candidates. You look at (TE) Brycen Hopkins, you look at (TE) Kendall Blanton, those are the other guys. (TE) Jacob Harris is a guy that could fulfill that. It really depends on the personnel package. But those are the three guys that would be candidates for that.”

(On if he leans towards Blanton and Hopkins as opposed to Harris)
“I think those guys have more experience playing where you're talking about that legitimate tight end, where you're closing the formation. There are some different things that you can do to create those closed looks and (Harris) still has enough athleticism and toughness to be able to secure backside edges. But as far as just playing an in-line tight end, those guys are more likely candidates in that role.”

(On if he would promote TE Kendall Blanton for depth)
“There is a possibility for that.”

(On what the pregame conversation with QB Jared Goff would look like if it happens)
“I think ‘Hey, how you doing?’ I don't really come out until fairly late anyways. You definitely talk to guys and say hello, but it's a little bit different especially with players. They're going through warmups and they're getting into their routine and rhythm and getting ready to play. Sometimes you might talk to the opposing coach a little bit more, but I think like anything else when you see opposing players and then after the game is usually when you get a chance to if you want to catch up. But sometimes those things are better off where you have a relationship where it's not a, ‘Hey, what's Sean (McVay) and Jared (Goff) going to do because (the media) are looking right now.’ I know you will (laughter).”

(On what made him decide to of lean on motion pre-snap)
“I think really it's all part of just the influences, the people that I've been around. Certainly, a lot of the stuff that you're seeing us run, all come from things that I learned from other people. We’ve always motioned, whether it was when I'm learning from Coach (Jon) Gruden when I started out or Coach (Mike) Shanahan. Then you really talk about establishing a foundational system with how you want to operate. But as far as some of the things with the jet motion that's become increasingly more prevalent really around the league. You could see that with college. I'll tell you what had a huge influence on me is when you're coming here and you're studying the ways that I thought they (prior Rams coaches) did a great job utilizing (WR) Tavon Austin (on) jet sweeps, different things like that. And it was something that we dabbled with a little bit my first year when Tavon was a part of it. We really just expanded upon it because we felt like you could see the conflict that it put defenses in. We have a lot of different guys that were candidates that you felt more than comfortable handing them the ball. Really all of our receivers, we've given jet sweeps to tight ends. It just became something that became more prevalent. You study it, you try to have an understanding of, ‘Alright what is the intent of this play,’ and how can you utilize it to try to create numbers, change the math, give yourself better angles from an offensive perspective when you're attacking the 11 guys on defense. It’s kind of been an evolving and ongoing thing, but there's always an intent behind it. It's not just to look cool.”

(On how he dreams up plays that work and some plays that don’t)
“Oh yeah, that happens a lot, (laughs). Usually I'm delirious or have way too many coffees and say ‘Hey guys, this is either a genius or some dumb stuff.’ Usually it'll be a cool idea or it's really dumb. There's a lot more dumb than there are cool ideas probably coming from me on some of those things. But there's been a lot of those head scratchers that it, you think about it, it's going to look better and then it definitely doesn't elicit the response from the defense or get the intent that you desire. That’s why you practice.”

(On the psychological perspective of a quarterback to have OLB Leonard Floyd stare you down at the line)
“Yeah, it'd be a lot. Our defensive guys are very imposing figures. Whether it's (OLcool smiley Leonard (Floyd), (DL) Aaron (Donald). When (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) is just looking at you, whether he's an outside corner, an inside player, you're like, ‘Man.’ You don't even want to make eye contact with him. We got a lot of guys and I think they're playing really well. They've had a great energy this week. I thought last week's energy was reflective of the way that they played. Confidence, like we've talked about, it's a powerful thing in sports. You want to build on that momentum. These guys have done a great job of kind of capturing that, bottling it up with the energy they've had this week. I want to see that translate to game day on Sunday. And that's what I expect.”

(On if type of personality that messes with quarterbacks)
“You mean with Leonard, in particular? Oh yeah, silent assassin. Oh yeah, I believe that. Those guys would be better equipped to answer that. It's really whatever is in these guy’s natural personality. Some guys, they don't say much, they just go about their work and it can definitely wig you out a little bit more than anything else. And then I've seen some guys that can definitely get into people's head by talking a lot of stuff too. It goes both ways. It's whatever is true to guys' personalities.”

(On how he sums up the emotions of a game like this with the relationships between the players from each team)
“Yeah, I think it's unique. I think what I understand is that you guys have to talk about it and you have to ask about it and there's relationships on that other sideline - whether it be with (Lions Qcool smiley Jared (Goff), (Lions DE) Michael Brockers. (Lions Defensive Backs Coach/Passing Game Coordinator) Aubrey Pleasant's a really close friend of mine, who's a great coach, who's their playing an instrumental role, and a lot of good things that you're seeing on the defensive side. It's more consistent to have this stuff come up. But, when you're talking about how prominent these positions are with the quarterbacks and the trade having occurred this past offseason, I understand that. But, I think our team has done a really good job of preparing. There's some familiarity with those guys in particular, but they have familiarity with us. So, it kind of goes both ways, but once it's kicked off, it's about a normal game. We're trying to go get our sixth win and play really well in all three phases, build on some of the things that we've done. I know they're trying to do the same thing. That's really what it is. If you asked about (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) - I've seen a steady, consistent approach just like the other weeks. I thought when he talked to you guys earlier this week, I thought it was as authentic, honest, and genuine and that's who he is. There's a lot of special memories he’s had. He's had a lot of people that are very important, but there is a lot of turnover. (It) might be a little bit different if we were going back to Detroit as well and the game wasn't in LA. I don't want to speak for him, but I've seen a really steady, consistent competitor and a guy that approaches his work with that same mindset and mentality that I think that's led to him playing really well through these six weeks and expect them to have another good performance. But, he understands their personnel and knows they have some really good players.”

(On if he has a standout memory from the Rams vs. Chiefs game in 2018)
“There's a lot of standout memories. I was exhausted. I mean that whole week was crazy. We were in Colorado Springs training, all that kind of stuff. I mean, certainly (former Rams TE) Gerald Everett down the right sidelines resonates with me. (Former Rams Ccool smiley Marcus Peters getting the pick. (Former Rams S) LaMarcus Joyner finishing that game off. (Former Rams DE) Samson (Ebukam) had a great game. A couple of forced fumbles, (DL) Aaron (Donald). So, I mean you can talk about that game for years. That was a fun one. What makes you ask about that game?”

(On if he thinks that there will be another game that is that high scoring again)
“If you're involved in the defense, you certainly hope not. Offensively, those are fun to watch. But, I don't know. I enjoyed when we had our mini-bye really watching a great back and forth battle between the Chargers and Browns a couple of weeks ago. That was a great high-scoring affair, a ‘track meet’ as (Chargers Head Coach) Brandon (Staley) would call it. But, I don't know. I've never really thought about it like that. It was fun though. That was a fun night, exhausting though.”

(On how he has seen Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris connect with players that may take longer to open up and have quiet personalities)
“I think that's his best trait. I think he's got a great way of authentically connecting and really knowing how to reach guys. And I think that's a special trait of any great leader, any great coach, and certainly (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem (Morris) checks all the boxes there. Even for me, he's been a good influence on me, just knowing when to push the right buttons - as far as tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. He's got a great way of being able to coach guys. It’s not ever condemning them, but it's being demanding and correcting. It disarms guys because they know he cares about them, but he does it in a very real. ‘This is a very straightforward, I'm going to keep it real with you. This is what we need to do.’ But, he's correcting the issue, not the person and guys received that really well. He's really naturally a funny guy. So, he's got a great way of kind of softening some of those points with humor and that's who he's always been. I've known Raheem for a long time. I've yet to see him have a bad day. I wish I had that ability that he has to just be so steady, so consistent, to not let little things bother him and he can move on. He's a mentally tough guy and he's a great guy that just has a great emotional intelligence and ability to connect with people. That's one of his greatest traits and (I’m) really fortunate to be working with him and it's great being connected back with Raheem.”

(On how he would describe CB Dont’e Deayon since the public has not seen him a lot)
“Well, if you watch Hard Knocks, you saw a lot of them. He's got a great personality, really charismatic, incredibly intelligent guy. Again, similar to Raheem, he's naturally funny, but if you don't like (CB Dont’e Deayon) Double D and you don't like Raheem, something's wrong with you. These are very likable guys that have a natural way of connecting with all types of people, but he's an incredibly intelligent player. I think he's very talented. He's got great short space quickness. He played really well last week and expect him to improve on that performance. I've been really happy for him. He's a great positive story for continuing to work, overcome some things, whether it be the size or you're like ‘Can he really play?’ And then he gets his opportunity and to his credit, he capitalized on it and think you're going to see them have more opportunities as we move forward.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky389October 22, 2021 02:03PM