Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, DL Aaron Donald, QB Matthew Stafford - October 5, 2021

October 05, 2021 04:16PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, DL Aaron Donald, QB Matthew Stafford - October 5, 2021

Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, DL Aaron Donald, QB Matthew Stafford
Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris
(On how he is doing)
“I'm doing better. It’s always good to get back with the guys after a tough loss. Sometimes you need those wounds and then you need to be around your guys. Today, being around the guys, getting out there on the practice field, going through it with them, all the things that make you a better football team. Getting back out there today and getting back to practice, getting back to work with the coaches. Being led by (Head Coach) Sean (McVay), his demeanor and how he goes about his business is awesome. Being here with you guys today is just another part of it.”

(On if it’s good to have a short week like it is this week to help get over the loss or would he prefer more time to make the adjustments that are needed)
“I think that's the cliche thing to say so you don't have to dwell on the loss so long, but I think you don't like it no matter what happens. I think the fact that it is a short week it allows you to move your focus towards your next victory. You never want to let those kinds of losses spill over into multiple losses. To be able to go out there and get right back to work and be able to get these guys right back in a direction. Everybody (knows) what went wrong, what you need to do to fix it. You just need to go execute what you want to get done better. Our execution and our tackling wasn’t good on defense, so we didn't play well. Those things are easy to correct by speaking and saying and going out and doing what we need to do. A lot of things you can get done in the classroom. We look forward to doing it however you'd like to do it. I would say this, our job as coaches is to identify problems and their job as players is to fix them. So let's go out and do those things this week.”

(On what they identified the issue as: scheme, execution, etc.)
“A lot of it was execution and tackling. When you go back and you really look at it, we didn't execute the things that we wanted to get done. We weren't able to go out there and execute our tackling plan. We weren't able to go out there and throw hands and hit blocks and shed people and eliminate their runs. We weren't able to go out there and make them one dimensional so they have to pass the ball to unleash the best part about what we do is rush the passer. All those parts of the game are execution. You can dig and dive into the little things of it all, but if you look at the big picture, it was a lack of execution and there was a lack of tackling. You missed a few tackles there on some really big-time football players, some special athletes, I know, I get it, but, you got to make those tackles. If those tackles are made, those plays are made, the outcome is different. The result is different. No matter how bad it felt of how bad it looks, at some point you always felt you are one play away from getting to the next point. Whether it was that 3rd-and-16 stop or whether it was us scoring on offense or whether us making a play on defense or special teams, you're one play away at all times. That’s the National Football League. Then at the end, when you're out there and you're fighting for desperation type stuff, stuff happens. That's what a 54-yarder popped out for the run. Those things happen in those moments when you're trying to do things out of desperation to try to get that win. You go back and you look at it and when you really boil it down, as you ride home in that 58-minute ride to my house, it's execution and it's tackling.”

(On the similarities between Seahawks QB Russell Wilson and Cardinals QB Kyler Murray)
“I don’t know if you can say that. (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell Wilson is his own breed of animal in his own right. This guy, he's one of the original guys that being off the pocket, being in the pocket, being able to beat you from anywhere and last week was a clear-cut example of how you can do that. He scrambles out to his left, he's able to look down the field see no one, survey it and just run for 30-, 40-yard run, dive in the endzone, ignite his team, come back out. What is not looking great for them is that defense is playing great in San Francisco, he's able to roll to the other side. He got the same type of look where you think he's about to run and he just unleashes a missile down to that corner over there and he catches a great ball by his guys. He’s a great player. I know that word is thrown around way too much in this National Football League, but Russell has proven it year in, year out that he’s one of the absolute elite and best. He definitely presents us certain different types of challenges on his own.”

(On the disconnect on what they want to do philosophically against the pass and how to contain those explosive plays)
“For the most part is you got to go out there and make them one dimensional. When people get explosive plays, like they did last week, it’s usually because you got to either over commit something to the box, you're trying to stop something next year, you're trying to do something different or you just missed an opportunity. All those things kind of happened. It's kind of was an all-out downfall. You had your first three-and-out out there, things are going well, you get to them once, you make them throw it away, you actually get a sack on third play of the games, you go out and you get a turnover. Their able to drive the field, you come back out, you get the short field again, they score again and go right away, it’s 14-0, they got control of the game, they’re dictating terms. We're not able to take over and dictate how you want to dictate. ‘Let's go stop the run and eliminate the big passes.’ All those types of things. The philosophy kind of goes out the window. You got to fight and you got to battle through, you got to claw, you got to scratch and you find your way back into those games. That’s where the disconnect came up early. (It) happened pretty quickly in the game, happened pretty fast. We had to adjust and we weren't able to adjust enough to get the win.”

(On the challenge of focusing on mental repetitions for a Thursday game so their bodies are recovering)
“The best part for coaches is, you can go attack your work right away. You go home, you get a quick glimpse at it, you look at it, you forgot what went wrong, what you need to do better and are you able to just go attack the next week? You’re able to attack the next week and get these guys in and you're able to incorporate it into this week. As you're incorporated into this week with their recovery, getting their mental state right, turn that thing around and be able to go into the grass and sit and talk to these guys about what the looks are going to look like, how these guys are going to be, it's really good. It's really cool for a coach. This is what you're paid for. This is what your time is for. This is what your momentum is for. This is why you are the leaders that you're (supposed) to be. You go out there and lead those rooms. You lead those units. Coach will lead the team. We'll come out this thing on the right way.”

(On what DL Aaron Donald is like after a game where he had no sacks or TFLs)
“He is normally pretty grouchy anyway. But, I would like to say he's probably particularly more grouchy after a loss, but not in a bad way. It's probably more of a serious demeanor, get-back-to-work type of way. He's just as anxious as anybody else to go out there. Just to have him (Cardinals QB Kyler Murray) slip away a few times from him – because of the guy's unique ability, like we talked about before in Kyler. Usually, those types of things frustrate any great player and that frustrated him that day. And not being able to execute what we wanted to get done to make him one dimensional so you can unleash (DL) Aaron (Donald) to get more opportunities to rush the passer and to be effective in the game. Those are the things that probably frustrates you the most for a guy like that.”

(On how Wilson has evolved as a quarterback)
“He has evolved. At one point he was managing the game behind a great defense. He has absolutely taken over the offense. (He) shows he was the guy that can throw it all over the yard at times before. He’s definitely shown his league that he's a winner – winning early, winning the Super Bowl, going to another one. He’s a guy that consistently keeps his team in the fight, keeps his team in the hunt. He's evolved into the ultimate pro. He's fun to watch when you're not playing him. He’s absolutely fun to go compete against because you want to compete against the highest level of guys at all times. And he's certainly one of those guys.”

(On how he goes about giving guys enough time to grow into their shoes in live action versus the consideration of shifting things around, changing personnel in some spots)
“You always got to do that every single week. You got to evaluate those things. Every single week, everybody's under evaluation. Moving people to different spots, having to use people, different people, based on performance or based on injury, and those things will consistently be done here. We'll always do those things. When you got the kind of team that you have here, a team that's able to be 3-1 at this stage of football and a team that's looking for bigger goals and bigger things in life, you got to be ready to make those moves and make those changes as necessary.”

(On his evaluation of CB David Long Jr.’s)
“He didn't have a great game last game. There's no secret about that. That was like the set-up question of all time (laughs). He’s one of those guys (that) we've seen him struggle before, we see him struggling in a practice once before, we’ve seen him bounce back, we’ve seen him struggle this week in this game with two opportunities to make a play and on a ball and not make them. You want him to make those plays. When he gets his opportunity, I'm sure he will. But he's got some really good people behind him. You've got (DB Robert) Rochell would go out there and do some things for him. You've got different packages that we can use and I'm not counting (Ccool smiley David (Long Jr.) out. He's certainly one of those guys we’re going to need throughout this whole season. We're going to need throughout the whole process. He’s got a lot of mental toughness and I've seen a bunch of it in my short time here already.”

(On how challenging Seahawks WRs DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett are to defend)
“They’re big-time players. You got (Seahawks WR) DK Metcalf who will probably a see a lot of (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey), who's been matched up with him before in the past. I don't think there's any secret that they know they're going to be matched up with each other. I think (Seahawks WR) Tyler Lockett could be matched up with D-Will (CB Darious Williams) a bunch. Their unique quickness and their size and their speed, that makes those guys ultimate match-ups, that they'd done before in the past around here. Obviously we move people around. Those things change out a bunch, but those two guys present great challenges down the field, threat guys that can move with quickness, guys that can move with speed and power. They present all the challenges from a receiving standpoint.”

(On what goes into who CB Jalen Ramsey will be matched up with each week)
“I think it's the situation. I think a lot of it is my weekly preparation on when I think the ball is being targeted to a guy and what we can get them to that guy. Last week, we got two great targets on them down in the redzone. Jalen made a great play in the endzone. (He) got another target on a big-time third down where it was a fight all the way to the ground that D-Hop (Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins) almost came up with a big time catch. I was proud of Jalen. Those types of performances and those types of moments that, those are the times you want to get those guys matched up. When you can get them in those moments that are make-a-difference plays, the M.A.D. play opportunities, you want to get them in those types of things. He almost got that thing turned around for us. After that play, you felt a little momentum shift. Then he waved his arms in the air, he got everybody excited and you felt like no matter how bad this day was going, that guy was about to turn this day for us. And he almost did. We just fell short.”
Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell
(On QB Matthew Stafford’s ability to diagnose turn overs on the sideline)
“Yeah, that is kind of our routine, we come off and, good plays or bad plays, whatever it is, it's more just assessing kind of an inventory of what we're getting defensively. It's not so much, ‘How did that happen?’ type of thing. It is, ‘What was the look? What were you thinking? How were you playing it?’ so that if something similar comes up we can kind of move forward and have some positive thoughts about some other things in the game plan, or whatever it is. Sometimes it's not, no turnover, no interception, they all have their own story. Lord knows I had plenty of them as a player. You look at it from a standpoint of, ‘Was it scheme? Was it a look that we hadn't been prepared for? Was it, pulled the string, didn't get it out there enough, location of a throw? Was it fundamental? Was it something we could have fixed positionally by the quarterback?’ And if it's not, we're moving forward. If it is, then we fix it and we're ready to roll either way. That's the benefit of having a guy like that (QB Matthew Stafford). He vividly remembers what he saw. The why is always easy to get from him. That's what makes it great to coach him, because we can kind of collaborate and just move forward.”

(On how he makes sure the offense is set for communication on a short week)
“It's definitely going to be a loud environment. We experienced it in Indy (Indianapolis), getting a chance to go on the road and use some of our silent cadences and things. We simulate it where we can, but just rely on the fact that we did a lot of stuff in training camp to kind of get ready for these games. Our nonverbal communication, we like to think, is prepared for an environment like this but there may not be a tougher one to go to than this one. Especially on a short week. I'm sure there'll be ready to go.”

(On what the challenge is on a short week)
“We do such a good job from a sports performance standpoint with (Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and (Director of Strength and Conditioning) J-Love (Justin Lovett) and really (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay leading the charge. We need to make sure we got a fresh team. We need to make sure guys feel good, despite the quick turnaround. So we stress them (players) above the neck where we can in our walk through, jog throughs. We make sure the meeting time is maximized so that they're not sitting around all day. Get them in, get them going, the different phases of what we're trying to really speed up in a two-day process, that normally we have three or four days to prepare for. It is a lot and you have to be organized with how you're giving that information out. There needs to be some dialogue there leading up, all the way beyond. Normally we like to get on the plane as locked and loaded as possible, but sometimes there's some dialogue all the way through the hotel walk through or even those last quarterback meetings.”

(On what the conversation is like when deciding the balance of run plays to pass plays mid game)
“One of the things we really like to do is have that balance. It was great to see (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) get into a rhythm and we were running the ball well. There were some complimentary looks that we had. We tried to get to some things in the marriage of the run and the pass that just, sometimes they come up and it's like, ‘Wow that was a great thought.’ And other times you look back on it and you are like, ‘Could we have run it more? Could we not have?’ Every drive every situation, time on the clock, score of the game, it kind of dictates where we go with things. We're always having that dialogue amongst coaches on the headsets during the game of what the thought process is moving forward. But outside of our two turnover drives, where we turned it over on the first play and the second play, I want to say we had nine plays for our next shortest drive after that. You're talking significant drives, now where we need to improve obviously is finishing with touchdowns and points. But you're talking drives where there was a lot of plays, a lot of volume, where you can really get into that mixture of run and pass and try to stay in that attacking mindset.”

(On how he manages QB Matthew Stafford finding his balance with his receiving core)
“It's as many reps as we can get out on the practice field. But the other thing is just when these looks present themselves in a game, he's throwing a lot of long targets right on the money. And I think he's trying. Sometimes you don't want to miss it long and not give our guys a chance. Sometimes just the look that presents itself, depending on what route we're talking about, where the good miss kind of is. And that's for us to talk about after a game. But I'll tell you what, when you scheme things up and you see things kind of come to life with him, he doesn't miss it very often. So when he has a throw where he would like to have that one back, we talk about it. Normally it just comes down to what his vision of that particular route was, or what the pocket was like, or the timing of the play might've been thrown off by a reroute from a defender. Just little things that maybe when the ball hits the ground, you don't see. But the process leading up to when he tries to trigger things and throw things in rhythm, that picture can change when the ball is in the air. So it's a lot. We just try to simulate and make sure he understands exactly where the intent is to throw the ball and then our guys to go get it.”

(On how he manages to keep all the wide receivers happy and getting their fill)
“I think it starts first and foremost with us as a staff and obviously myself and Sean and the rest of the group, making sure that we've got a plan when we present it, as we did today and as we will the rest of the week. That everybody sees that their number getting called. Now the defense gets paid too and those coaches are really good on the other side. So sometimes (WR depth chart position) number one is not open, but that doesn't mean that the intent wasn't to throw the ball to that guy. So it's really who is where, who is doing what, and that they all know that they're a major part of what we're doing. And I've said this multiple times, all five eligibles coming alive depending on the concept, that's our goal. Because we want to distribute the field and make sure Matthew can see coverage. It is not always (WR depth chart position) number one, two, three, four, or five. It could be any combination. And really it's just making sure those guys know, ‘Hey, you're all up. So really whether we're trying to target you by how we scheme something or you're just doing your job on the backside.’ We've had guys catch touchdowns this year on that very (idea). (WR) Cooper Kupp versus the Colts, the last touchdown of that game. You could see Matthew looking at three other guys before he gets to Cooper, and that's just how the coverage played out, what they took away, and where we kind of progress reading with our feet and finding the open guy.”

(On how coaches use dialogue to make decisions)
“There's a lot that goes on pre-snap from personnel that are in the game defensively, to down and distance, to situations that could be coming up via the clock, the score, the end of first half, end of the second half, all those things. And then there's more of the big picture, what we want to get accomplished on that drive, what plays are coming up so that we can – we call it previewing it with our guys so guys know, we've got a big call sheet, we've got a big menu of things – but if we can get that laser focus to certain things by the drive, openers to start the game, second half openers, menus of things so that those guys can be prepared. I think you can be that much more out in front of things that could come up.”

(On what he likes about this team through the first four weeks)
“The one thing is when adversity has hit obviously when we lost the lead in Indianapolis, and just the response that we had, as really a team, in all three phases. To come back from that and get the lead, keep the lead and come home with a win against a really good football team. Then I think back to last week, there wasn't one time where anybody on our sideline felt like we weren't going to win the football game until basically there was zeros on the clock. That is a lot of times coach speak, but with our group I don't feel like it is. I am just going off of what I observe and the leadership on our team. When it starts with your quarterback and some of the guys up front, guys in the receiver room, tight ends, and our backs as a group, we have leadership all over that group. I can't speak much for the defense, but I can tell you that I feel their leadership as well, just from an overall team perspective. We're ready to respond when adversity hits. That's not going to be the first time we're tested. It'll come again. Hopefully we just continue to improve on our response and be as consistent as possible.”
DL Aaron Donald
(On the short week and the condensed preparation it involves)
“It's more mental stuff. Just got to be locked in walk-thrus because you’ve got to make sure at the same time you’ve got to know the game plan, got to get yourself prepared the best way you can. But, at the same time, got to find a way to get fresh and healthy and get everybody a hundred percent. It's more mental. We just got to stay locked in and know what's going on. I think today was kind of crammed in, but I felt like we got good work just being out there, getting some walk-thru stuff done. And at the same time, having opportunities to make sure that we're able to do recovery things and get our bodies back right.”

(On if playing a quarterback like Cardinals’ QB Kyler Murray prepares them for facing Seahawks QB Russell Wilson in a short week)
“Well, that's every quarterback in this league now, mobile. They can do all types of things with their feet. It's another divisional game. It's going to be a big game for us. Back-to-back weeks with good quarterbacks that can do a lot of things with their feet and arm. So, another challenge, but we ready for it.”

(On having the most sacks against Seattle and what he has done to be so successful against them)
“Well, this is my eighth year playing against him. He’s been there since I've been there. So, that's probably why the sacks has been like that. I just play my game. When plays present themselves, I try to take advantage and make my plays when I can. I've been playing against him for a long time, my eighth year now. A lot of respect for him the way he plays the game. I’ve got to find ways to pressure him or find ways to affect him to the point where we can do enough to win this game.”

(On if he and Wilson talk on the field)
“Uh-uh, no.”

(On if he jams in recovery and game planning)
“Yeah, that's exactly what you're doing. Like for this instance, this week after the game, you really didn't have enough time after that game to really soak in the loss. It's pretty much right to recovery, then studying Seattle that same night. So, just find a way to stay in some type of routine - even though it's a shorter week - but maintain as to keeping your body fresh and healthy, but at the same time, getting your film studies in and understand what we got coming up with another good opponent.”

(On how sore he is after games)
I'm usually sore, but I was pretty good after this game. I wasn't too sore, but I still made sure that I did everything I can as far as after the game and my massages and doing the different things that I do to try and keep myself first. So, I feel good.”

(On what he and the defense can learn from the Cardinals game that will make them better)
“We’ve just got to play better. I think we just didn't play a good game. We know that. But, again, it's only the third game of the season, fourth game of the season. It’s still early in the season, so there are going to be hiccups, but we can't afford that. Like I said, there's another divisional game back-to-back. So, we’ve got to play a lot better than what we did - that's from tackling better, just understanding the game - certain schemes, and the assignment plays - certain things like that. So, we'll be fine. It's a learning experience. We’re good. We’re still confident, we’re still ready to go. Like I said, that's another divisional game. So, we’ve got to be amped and ready for that.”

(On not having any sacks, TFLs, or quarterback hits)
“You just find a way to get better. They were able to stay in a situation where they had the lead and was able to stay to a game plan to the point where we didn't get really too many real opportunities to rest the quarterback and certain looks. So, they were able to do what they need to do to block guys. But, it's just football. You're going to have good days. You have bad days. Going to have okay days that can affect you. Obviously, I want to make every play I can and every negative play, if I can, I want a hundred sacks. I want a thousand TFLs if I can. But realistically, it ain't going to happen like that. So, you’ve got to keep playing and keep trying to find ways to get better.”

(On how Wilson has evolved over the course of the eight years that he has been playing against him)
“He's a playmaker, like he's different. He can do a lot of different things. Like we always talk about playing, he plays street ball. He’s just plays good football. He's a hell of a football player. Since I've been in this league, as my rookie year, he's been the same player as far as the things he's able to do, and get out of trouble, and make things happen with his feet or with his arms. So, you know what to expect from that standpoint. But at the same time, obviously him having those years in the league - understanding the game a lot more, and able to see certain things, and play better - you can see that as well. He's a great quarterback.”

(On the emphasis of catch and run plays and midlevel after contact yards in the film room)
“We’ve just got to tackle better, and I don't blame it on nobody. That's all of us ‘cause we’ve got to swarm - that's me getting out the stack and running down for it if I need to to get on and help that play. So, we’ve just got to swarm and tackle better. That’s all. That's fundamental. So, that's nothing to worry about. That's something that we control as players that we can do.”

(On playing in a loud environment)
“Man, it's going to be fun. I know that the fans will be talking a lot of trash coming out and things like that. But you feed off their energy, you feed off the fans, the noise. It kind of makes you want to make a big play just to quiet the stadium up. So, you feed off games like this, man. It's a primetime game against a divisional opponent. It's always a dog fight when we play these guys. This is what you work for. This is why we're here. So, it's going to be a fun day.”

(On what he has seen from DL A’Shawn Robinson)
“He’s been playing stout, playing the run game really strong. Obviously, none of us really, as far as like a team, we didn't do those things last week. But overall, if you take that last week game out of it, he’s been playing great in the run stout. So, we've got to continue to build off that, continue to get better, and continue to be a big part in helping us win games.”
QB Matthew Stafford
(On preparation on such short notice)
“It's obviously full steam ahead. Trying to figure out what we want to do and how we want to attack as quickly as possible. Biggest thing for us as players is trying to get your body back after a game and get ready to go on a Thursday. So, it gets tougher and tougher every year. And then the mental aspect of it, just making sure that we're on the details of what we want to do and how we want to go about it, and then go play.”

(On what he remembers about playing in Seattle)
“I think obviously a lot of still some familiar faces there. (Lcool smiley Bobby Wagner has been there for forever. I've played against (FS) Quandre (Diggs) for a long time in practice in Detroit, so I know some of those guys. (SS) Jamal Adams is a big-time player. But those experiences are always things you can learn from. It's a tough, hostile environment. Their fans do a great job. (Qcool smiley Russell's (Wilson) playing at a really high level on their side of the ball on offense. So, it'll be a big challenge for us.”

(On what’s it been like so far balancing having patience versus wanting to go for it every time)
“It's obviously a delicate balance. You try to perfect, make the correct decisions at the right time. Try to be aggressive but take what the defense has given you at the same time, that’s a fine line. As far as for me in this offense, I'm trying to still soak up as much knowledge as I possibly can learn. As much as I can from these guys and our coaching staff and try to operate our offense at a high level.”

(On how he personally responds when things don’t go perfectly)
“I think the biggest thing for me personally, it’s just trying to go back to the fundamentals and just make sure you're as good as you possibly can be on those. And then let the chips fall where they may. There's an instance in every single game where I wish I would have been better fundamentally on something that probably would have helped me succeed in that play that we didn't succeed on. So, I just try to go back to those basics as much as you can, especially on a short week. And for conversations with players, we've all played this game long enough. There's going to be times where we don't play as well as we want to. You want to make those games as far between each other as you possibly can and play really good the rest of the time. But there was no time to sit there and think too much about it, especially with the Thursday game coming. So, I think we're all excited to get back out there and go take it out on somebody else.”

(On what he has heard anything about the Rams vs. Seahawks history)
“I could feel it from afar when I wasn't here. You just know that there are two teams that have a bunch of pride. They both play at a high level. Really well coached teams with a bunch of recent success. So, I’m excited to be a part of it. It's exciting to get my first taste of it on Thursday.”

(On if he has anything he does specifically for recovery)
“No, a little bit of everything. Kind of throw the kitchen sink at it and see what happens. It should be good. We do a great job here. Thursday is one of our biggest kind of practice days around here, so our bodies are somewhat used to getting ready for a big day on Thursday. So, just kind of go about it like that. And I know come Thursday night, I'll feel about like I normally do on a Thursday practice with adrenaline, which is great. It should feel a little bit better than that.”

(On if having practice on Thursday helps them mentally)
“I mean, I think so. It gives you practice towards getting ready for something that is so immediate. And those practices are earlier than we would play on a Thursday night game, so you could shelf a couple extra hours in there and then go play.”

(On what his thoughts are on aggression on the fourth down)
“I don't know. I feel like that's almost the question for the analytics guys. I feel like everybody's been crunching numbers about that, especially as of recent, the last few years. When I first got into the NFL, it was never even a thought. If it's fourth down, didn't matter. You're pretty much punting the rock and letting the defense go out there. So, it is definitely evolving. I feel like certain teams are becoming more aggressive, I guess. I don't really know. It just depends on feel and analytics. I feel like that's what a lot of those teams rely on is the numbers and what the numbers tell them to do, and then go from there.”

(On how he manages to keep his teammates happy and make them feel like they are contributing)
“I think the biggest thing for me is I try to go through my progression and throw the ball where the ball should go. I think we do a decent job of that around here, spreading the ball around. Can we be better? I'm sure. But I try to get everybody involved as much as I can, and that's just through playing the game. I'm learning a new offense. Not new, but it's new to me, I guess. And I'm trying to just do my job in that offense more than anything at the moment and let those kinds of things happen as they happen.”

(On if there is anything on the defense specifically that will be a challenge)
“I think it always is with this team. They do a great job of letting their guys play. There's a few things they do that puts a bunch of stress on us as an offense, but a lot of times it's just letting their guys line up and go play. And they've got really good football players on defense, and they know the scheme inside and out. So, they play fast, they play to the tendencies, to the strengths, and all those kinds of things. So, it'll just be about us going out there and operating at a high level.”

(On WR Van Jefferson’s touchdown and their non-verbal communication)
“I just got out of the pocket. Our guys did a great job of getting me out of the pocket and just felt like the defense was over run on the play. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was (S) Budda (Baker) was all the way on the front side of a route that's supposed to be breaking out and he's the post safety. So, that wasn't something I thought was going to happen when we called the play. It's probably the last option in the playbook, but sometimes you just have a feel for it and feel like everybody's overrunning it. I tried to let (WR) Van (Jefferson) know where I thought the opening was. He's obviously running downfield and moving around and I've got a little bit better view of what's going on around everybody and he was able to see me and make the adjustment and we scored.”

(On what his first impression was of WR Van Jefferson and how that’s developed)
“I've known Van since he was about 15. First impressions was, ‘crazy that I'm in the same locker room with him.’ He’s really a ‘quick twitch’ guy that really can separate. Has really good long speed as well. He's run by some people this year, which I think is a big thing for us. I think his biggest thing is just continuing to gain experience, which will happen through just playing games and practicing and all those kinds of things. Seeing different looks in situations and corners and all that kind of stuff. So, he's just a young player, but comes from a family that knows how to get open and a dad that probably taught him how to run routes at a very young age. So, that was all in him innately. You’ve just got to gain experience and continue to grow, which I think he's doing at a nice level right now.

(On Van’s attitude)
“Good kid, man. A lot of fun to be around, smiles all the time, infectious smile. Having a good time, loves game of football, likes to go out there and compete. Talks trash with the DBs on our team and has fun doing it. So, it's a lot of fun.”

(On how he feels playing in Seattle’s weather)
“I feel good. Played in some rain games in my life. It just all depends on how hard it's raining and all those kinds of things we'll just adjust as we need to.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky270October 05, 2021 04:16PM

About the Morris part of the presser…

Rams43191October 05, 2021 06:33PM

Re: About the Morris part of the presser…

BerendsenRam166October 05, 2021 06:36PM

What the hell is a "tackling plan"?.....

roman18190October 06, 2021 04:01AM

Maybe gang tackling? (nm)

Ramsfsninmd77October 06, 2021 04:05AM

tackling

21Dog111October 06, 2021 04:25AM

Re: What the hell is a "tackling plan"?.....

MamaRAMa86October 06, 2021 05:14AM

Re: What the hell is a "tackling plan"?.....

LSURAM162October 06, 2021 05:32AM