Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams give Stafford a wide range of deep targets…

September 15, 2021 07:16AM
Rams give Matthew Stafford a wide range of deep targets​

[www.dailynews.com]

When the Rams signed wide receiver DeSean Jackson as a free agent last winter, the rest of the NFL faced a worrisome question.

How good will the Rams’ passing game be with a speedy veteran capable of catching long passes from Matthew Stafford?

After the Rams’ 34-14 victory over the Chicago Bears on Sunday night, the question for the league is even more frightening.

How much better is the Rams’ passing game if Jackson is only one of several deep targets for Stafford’s throws?

Jackson had a diving catch for 18 yards during a first-quarter drive that resulted in a field goal, the longer of his two gains in the season opener at SoFi Stadium. Meanwhile, wide receivers Van Jefferson, Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods and tight end Tyler Higbee all had plays of 19 yards or longer in the game. Stafford’s touchdown heaves to Jefferson and Kupp covered 67 and 56 yards, and a 37-yarder to Higbee transformed another touchdown drive.

If the Rams lacked a deep threat last year, maybe the problem wasn’t Kupp, Woods and Jefferson but the need for a quarterback and playbook to give them a chance.

“It starts with giving players the opportunity,” Rams coach Sean McVay said Monday after his fifth consecutive victory in a season opener. “If I look at myself critically, I haven’t always done that.

“But Cooper, Van, Robert, these are guys that are not limited. Higbee makes a big play down the field yesterday. We all know what DeSean’s done throughout the course of his career.”

So maybe it’s not about Jackson stretching secondaries and opening up short routes for Kupp, Woods and Jefferson. It’s about all of them doing that for each other. Or so McVay would like defenses to think.

“We’ve got a handful of guys that we feel like can activate all parts of the field in the pass game, whether that be creating after the catch on underneath stuff, making plays in the intermediate game (or) being able to stretch the top shelf of the coverage,” McVay said.

“The fact that we can do that with any of our skill players is something that makes us more difficult to defend. I thought that was key for us (Sunday) night and something that we need to continue to illustrate and progress as the season goes on.”

The long touchdowns to Jefferson on the Rams’ third play of the game and to Kupp on their fourth snap of the second half were the result of many contributions.

Stafford, obviously. In his first game since arriving in the trade that sent quarterback Jared Goff and draft picks to the Detroit Lions, Stafford achieved at least two firsts. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, he was the first quarterback to win his debut with a team while passing for 300 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. And he was the first to have two touchdown passes of 50-plus yards in his debut with a team since Lee Grosscup with the 1962 New York Titans (AFL).

The offensive line, of course. Stafford was sacked only once, and the line gave him and the receivers time for those long plays to develop. Center Brian Allen received a game ball after his return from a 2019 knee injury.

Finally, or firstly, the receivers’ teamwork. Watch Kupp’s touchdown catch, and you see Woods run an intermediate route that distracted Bears safety Tashaun Gipson from Kupp.

“The importance of Rob on the outside being able to push vertical, hold that safety out there so he can’t squeeze down, really is (why) I was 30 yards open,” said Kupp, who was more like 15 yards open.

Now, how much better can it get if Jackson is catching deep balls too?

“DeSean’s going to get his, I know it’s coming for him,” Kupp said. “Luckily for Van and I, we were the recipients this week. But I think every week it’s going to be about who happens to have their number called for those shots, and then making the most of them when they come.”

HEALTH DEPARTMENT

The Rams got through the first game with only one reported injury. McVay said nose tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day “banged his knee up a little bit.” The coach said Joseph-Day might miss practice this week but should be able to play against the Indianapolis Colts (0-1) on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams give Stafford a wide range of deep targets…

Rams43230September 15, 2021 07:16AM

Flint has some good insights here on the Goff vs Stafford difference…

Rams43191September 15, 2021 07:19AM

I am curious to see how good Stafford is at manipulating defenses

Rams Junkie220September 15, 2021 09:23AM