Advanced

Matt Nagy seems to possibly leave the door slightly open for Justin Fields

August 24, 2021 10:22AM
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]
Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2021, 1:09 PM EDT

Buffalo Bills v Chicago Bears
Getty Images
Bears coach Matt Nagy has said that quarterback Andy Dalton will start the regular-season opener against the Bears. On Monday, however, Nagy said something that caught the ear of Chris Simms.

So Simms mentioned it to me. So I found the video. And it’s at least worth asking what it means.

Why don't Cowboys have a proven veteran behind Dak Prescott? - ProFootballTalk
Here’s what Nagy said regarding Andy Dalton: “We like what he’s doing right now with the ones in practice, and I think that’s what probably makes us feel good. But we also like where Justin [Fields] is at and seeing him grow. And so that’s what we’ve got to kind of talk through these next couple weeks.”

If Dalton is definitely the starter, what’s there to talk through? Could it be that the door is open for Fields to change Nagy’s mind? Or does Nagy intend to have a package of plays for Fields in Week One and beyond?

Regardless, it’s an intriguing comment, one that came at the end of a long answer from Nagy about Dalton. And it shows that, even though the Bears want to see what Dalton can do in the regular season, they still seem to be paying close attention to where Fields is and what he may be able to do.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BerendsenRam200August 24, 2021 10:22AM

this is a better fit for a Bears board, not here

db173August 24, 2021 10:25AM

It fits here because we play the Bears in 2 weeks

max130August 24, 2021 10:29AM

Re: yup (nm)

AlbaNY_Ram98August 24, 2021 10:37AM

It will be Dalton

The_Zone124August 24, 2021 10:44AM

Yes, he's said many times it will be Dalton starting week 1